• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Taking advantage of scenario knowledge
09-12-2009, 01:24 AM,
RE: Taking advantage of scenario knowledge
Feldgeneral Hoth Wrote:Sure, but don't do it from a previous knowledge. You can find a entry hex during the game. It's a prize to fighting in rear areas, but if you strategic plan is based in unfair knowledge of enemy deployment.?? is this legal?

I understand your point... but what am I suppose to do with prior knowledge of a scenario? Suppress it? Don't act upon it? :chin:

I like Scud's compromise solution - inform your opponent of prior scenario knowledge and then decide how to proceed with the game?

Actually, with many reinforcement entry hexes located far behind the front lines, only fast moving recon units skirting around the flanks or poor play by your opponent will allow you to gain access to the reinforcement areas? In these cases, should not your forces be able to intercept enemy reinforcements - regardless of scenario knowledge?

Also, on the flip side of the argument, should not players guard reinforcement entry hexes to counter possible interdiction moves by your opponent? :chin:

Good discussion gents! :smoke:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2009, 03:51 AM,
mwest Wrote:
Feldgeneral Hoth Wrote:Sure, but don't do it from a previous knowledge. You can find a entry hex during the game. It's a prize to fighting in rear areas, but if you strategic plan is based in unfair knowledge of enemy deployment.?? is this legal?

I understand your point... but what am I suppose to do with prior knowledge of a scenario? Suppress it? Don't act upon it? :chin:

I like Scud's compromise solution - inform your opponent of prior scenario knowledge and then decide how to proceed with the game?

Actually, with many reinforcement entry hexes located far behind the front lines, only fast moving recon units skirting around the flanks or poor play by your opponent will allow you to gain access to the reinforcement areas? In these cases, should not your forces be able to intercept enemy reinforcements - regardless of scenario knowledge?

Also, on the flip side of the argument, should not players guard reinforcement entry hexes to counter possible interdiction moves by your opponent? :chin:

Good discussion gents! :smoke:

You could tell him you have prior knowledge of his re-inforcements hexes so he could guard against the possible attack. If after your warning you still get to the hexes and they are ungaurded then its fair. Prior knowledge of a game is different than specific knowledge of a entrance hex.

Chuck
09-12-2009, 05:25 AM,
Skryabin Wrote:Well I was lucky to get from my decent opponents such a nice advice :) Is there anyone who starts an unfamiliar scenario without opening and studying it in advance?

:chin:
Dmitriy

I never look ahead of time. I prefer my opponent to pick the scenario, 'cause I hate to, but when I do, I look at the Blitz database and try to find something that's been played a lot with pretty equal results. I'd prefer not knowing what my opponent has, where he has it, where his reinforcements might enter or if he's getting any, how many airstrikes, etc. Not knowing and planning a strategy that relies on how well you can recon is half, or even most, of the fun. At least for me.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-12-2009, 06:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2009, 06:41 AM by Skryabin.)
Scud Wrote:
Skryabin Wrote:Well I was lucky to get from my decent opponents such a nice advice :) Is there anyone who starts an unfamiliar scenario without opening and studying it in advance?

:chin:
Dmitriy

I never look ahead of time. I prefer my opponent to pick the scenario, 'cause I hate to, but when I do, I look at the Blitz database and try to find something that's been played a lot with pretty equal results. I'd prefer not knowing what my opponent has, where he has it, where his reinforcements might enter or if he's getting any, how many airstrikes, etc. Not knowing and planning a strategy that relies on how well you can recon is half, or even most, of the fun. At least for me.
WOW! I have to try this some time... If you will have an opening and select some scenario you never played, I will be glad to have you as an opponent. I will not look ahead of time too. Will see what happens :)

cheers
Dmitriy
09-12-2009, 06:45 AM,
OK, but you pick. A West Front scenario has a better chance at being a "virgin" scenario for me. Or maybe a newly added scenario from the H2H area that's passed testing?

Also, my turn around time might be a little spotty.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-12-2009, 08:21 AM,
If you don't protect your own reinforcement hexs............the blame is yours as a commander..............if you can't protect your own reinforcement hexs..........the blame is the designers.........wether there is foreknowledge of the reinforcement hexs or they are just discovered makes no difference.......a better way of saying this "You better cover your own butt"

Earl
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
09-12-2009, 04:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2009, 04:27 PM by John Given.)
Hmm, there are so many interesting points made in this thread that I honestly don't know where to begin. So, I'll start with this:

Quote:Is there anyone who starts an unfamiliar scenario without opening and studying it in advance?

IMO. you should never look at the scenario in advance by opening it up - either with the editor, or by starting up a "me vs. computer" game to look at the enemy forces. It ruins the mystery of the scenario for you, and it could easily cause an unbalanced or inaccurate result, flow of battle, undeserved win, or a combination of the above. Some players could also consider it cheating. Scenarios I have played before strike me as not nearly as fun as blind scenarios.

Quote:Actually, with many reinforcement entry hexes located far behind the front lines, only fast moving recon units skirting around the flanks or poor play by your opponent will allow you to gain access to the reinforcement areas? In these cases, should not your forces be able to intercept enemy reinforcements - regardless of scenario knowledge?

Also, on the flip side of the argument, should not players guard reinforcement entry hexes to counter possible interdiction moves by your opponent?

I agree with the above quote. We're getting into an area of (bad) tactics here more than scenario do's and don'ts (or is it "can'ts" and "shouldn'ts?"). Also, I am having trouble envisioning a situation where a person so badly flubbed his strategy that he has an enemy swarming all over his reinforcement areas, which IMO is a way of saying that the enemy is ready to enter the next enemy/battle area, on another map - possibly the very definition of Major Defeat.

That isn't an exploit - it's simply a defeat for the guy who ignored security and didn't patrol his entry area (or anywhere else, which is why the enemy is all the way at the back of the map in his rear area).

One thing I'd like to add; it's NOT required for you to bring your reinforcements onto the map when they arrive. If you see that your forces have lost control of the reinforcement area(s), then at the end of your turn when you try to advance the turn, the reinforcement dialog will pop up. Press CANCEL, and the you can bring these forces on-board next turn, if you want. At least this way, you won't lose your new arrivals to rampaging enemies in view of the arrival areas.

Quote:If you don't protect your own reinforcement hexs............the blame is yours as a commander..............if you can't protect your own reinforcement hexs..........the blame is the designers.........wether there is foreknowledge of the reinforcement hexs or they are just discovered makes no difference.......a better way of saying this "You better cover your own butt"

Who can argue with that?? Not me.

Quote:Furthermore, is it, given prior experience with a scenario, unfair to plot artillery in certain areas of the map or air forces?

Blind shelling is an important part of my strategy. Blind-shelling is mostly a common-sense tactic; shelling the best quality road hexes (leading to/from the board edge) in the enemy portion of the board. Basically, you'll want to hit loaded trucks, halftracks, infantry passengers on AFV's, and HQ's, all of which can be vulnerable to even low-strength attacks. Occasionally, I'll get a kill on an enemy officer or even a tank. (I watch the "strength dialog" under "losses" like a hawk)

For me, the major purpose of blind shelling is not victory points - it has never won a game for me...directly. However, I like to think of it as "interdictive" fire; that is, it encourages the enemy to use less convenient (and less obvious) routes of transport, encourages the enemy to unload troops early, wasting the enemy's time (and blocking roads), and keeps the those same routes more-or-less open for MY use.

Finally, in 3d mode (best is extreme zoom-out 3d AKA view "3") you can see the muzzle flashes of enemy artillery during the replay. Watch the map carefully for these "flashes" and you should be able to put down some good counter-battery fire on him next turn. In this one application, my blind-shelling can cause some pretty hefty damage to enemy forces.

Interesting thread - lots of nice ideas. cheers
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
09-12-2009, 09:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2009, 09:12 PM by RedDevil.)
simply check the player's stats on the ladder prior to playing him to see if he has posted a result for the scenario in question, granted he may have played it against the AI, but that is not cheating, as it is something anyone can do within the game's mechanics.

Their telling you they are playing it blind, tho they have prior knowledge is not cheating, it's called lying, and lying is not cheating nor against club rules..
Rule of thumb... there's prolly many more liars out there than cheaters Eek
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
09-12-2009, 10:08 PM,
John Given Wrote:Finally, in 3d mode (best is extreme zoom-out 3d AKA view "3") you can see the muzzle flashes of enemy artillery during the replay. Watch the map carefully for these "flashes" and you should be able to put down some good counter-battery fire on him next turn.
WOW! This is a "WOW" thread :happy: So many new things! I've already started my first blind game and have to say that it has a very interesting touch of realism indeed.
Quote:lying is not cheating nor against club rules..
LOL This is brilliant! :)

Dmitriy
09-13-2009, 01:48 AM,
Skryabin Wrote:
John Given Wrote:Finally, in 3d mode (best is extreme zoom-out 3d AKA view "3") you can see the muzzle flashes of enemy artillery during the replay. Watch the map carefully for these "flashes" and you should be able to put down some good counter-battery fire on him next turn.
WOW! This is a "WOW" thread :happy: So many new things! I've already started my first blind game and have to say that it has a very interesting touch of realism indeed...

Dmitriy

Jeez John, do you mind waiting on the advice until after my game with Dmitriy?
Send this user an email