• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Combat unit removal
09-10-2009, 10:02 AM,
RE: Combat unit removal
I feel if you let you opponent get into a position to retreat off the map then you deserved to lose the points..
if you needed those points to win or tie things up, seems you should have been doing something differently.. at least that's how I've always felt about CS gaming,
those who run away will simply die in the next game as I'll make sure they don't escape when I play the scenario again.. self training so to speak :)

IMO etiquette and house rules are for folks who just didn't get a grasp on things and need handicaps to even it up :P
Of course I'm more a gamer than a purist and simply like to kill them all, no survivors

Ribbing aside, I play anyway my Opps request, all in good fun, If it's enjoyable, then everyone comes back for seconds and thirds and that's what it's all about.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2009, 01:55 PM,
I've played some sort of game all of my 65 years; some well and others just as a participant.

Basketball was an interesting one in high school and college. One year you could dunk the ball (HS) and the next you could not? I played against international teams where the key had a different shape and charging rules were different. If the rules were different and explained to me, I simply adjusted my play to conform to them.

Football, baseball, tennis, racketball, darts, bowling, golf, shuffle board, skeet shooting, archery, high jumping, hurdles, etc. Just give me the rules and I will follow them. However, if I happen to come up with a strategy not forbidden by the rules, then I will use it.

Same with this game as far as I'm concerned.

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

09-10-2009, 02:29 PM,
I don't see cricket there Pat...but cricket doesn't have rules!
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM,
I would bet that in my youth I could have been a pretty good Cricket player. Swatting a ball with a flat bat seems somewhat easier than hitting something served up at 90 mph and trying to hit it with a round item.

Has a US baseball team ever played against a cricket team?

Thing I will do a web search :-]

09-10-2009, 05:26 PM,
In respect of what KKR said earlier about ROE's ... I haven't ever stated any rules and in recent years haven't had any problems with one single opponent... I don't even mind if people leave abandoned trucks on the highway when I break through their lines... that seems perfectly normal to me :P So I kind of agree that within the game mechanics, anything really goes.... my point I guess would be that if I'm not enjoying the way someone plays the game, I just don't play them again.

The main problem with exiting units is, if the scenario were 2 hex sizes larger, I would have been able to kill them, on a battlefield, units don't get a cloaking device like a klingon warbird... so I don't really think that's in the spirit of the game.

I do admit to exiting empty trucks, all the time, because I have no use for them any more and they just get in the way....so - am I a hippocrite? :rolleyes:

I also agree that there are no rules in Cricket... whatever you can get away with Big Grin - same with Rugby.. if the officials didn't see it - it's OK...
09-10-2009, 06:23 PM,
Rudolph Hucker Wrote:I also agree that there are no rules in Cricket... whatever you can get away with Big Grin - same with Rugby.. if the officials didn't see it - it's OK...

Rudolph and Pat.... cricket does not have rules...because it has LAWS!! Much more dignified, What? What? What?
And Pat...a good fast bowler serves it up at 90+mph, aimed at the family jewels, the throat, wherever. And it's changing direction both in the air and off the pitch, and will usually bounce at varying heights.
09-10-2009, 11:12 PM,
Mwest,

The nature of trapped units on the map edge is admittedly tricky, because they could be there for any number of reasons, from bad/risky play to bad scenario design.

And the natural counter for the "well it doesn't make sense that my trapped units stop at the edge of the map to die" argument is "well, I would have continued to pursue them if the map continued", which is equally viable. That's where I could sort of see the half-points solution, but of course that has to be handled "off the books" so to speak since the game engine doesn't track things that way (and I wouldn't support changing the engine to do so, either).

I would agree that RD's somewhat tongue-in-cheek point that if you don't want them to escape, do something about it before they make it to the map edge has some real validity as well.

Another point is that typically when I find myself in that situation (trapped units on the edge of the map) they are usually really beat-up, shredded units anyway instead of high-value artillery/HQs (I usually keep my artillery a ways back from the front lines to avoid entrapment). A few 1 SP infantry or MG units aren't going to be a lot of points one way or the other, and the attacker probably already has the points for the other 3-5 SPs anyways.

Mike
09-11-2009, 10:07 AM,
OK Rod,

I admit my ignorance of the "Cricket" world.

I did some research and saw that Australia was a major factor in the world championships.

I would like to learn more about the game and perhaps subscribe to the Cricket Channel.

Why is it called "Cricket"? Has this something to do with the sound of the bat hitting the ball?

I noticed some famous Cricket player names, but couldn't find Jiminy?

Pat

09-11-2009, 10:11 AM,
I hope one day to explain it to you personally, Pat, but we had better stay on topic, having advised everyone else to do so!!
09-11-2009, 11:07 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:we had better stay on topic, having advised everyone else to do so!!
Staying on topic I feel sorry for my men I was talking about in the beginning. They are still over there in the snow in open space freezing and asking their commander: "Sir, why don't we retreat further along the river but staying here under artillery fire? In 6-12 minutes we are going to be all dead". And their commander answers: "Sorry, guys, we can not. There is no place to go! We are at the edge of the world."

Cry
Dmitriy