• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Combat unit removal
09-11-2009, 12:08 PM,
RE: Combat unit removal
Is there an answer?
Two schools of thought, I would say. The No rules school....of which I am a generally a member*....... says go ahead, take 'em off, in five more turns you want some more infantry...tough!

I can't talk for the rules school, although I understand their position. However, I doubt the idea of "half points" is realistic, and I'm afraid the " I would have done this another way if the map had been bigger or the swamp not been so close" is unconvincing . Better to examine the map closely before moving anything.
I also have difficulty with the use of the term "cheating" for doing something involving the physical movement of ones' own forces.
I reiterate that all players need to make some mandated, mutually agreed choices before playing Armour Facing etc.
The above said, the rules issue seems akin to the turn duration issue. There are two schools of thought, they need not be mutually exclusive, and proponents of each side will never be converted. There is no reason I can see why we all can't live happily together on these issues.
* I think we need some rules, but in the area of not doing stuff in the game that is in real life physically impossible.
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2009, 01:21 PM,
RE: Combat unit removal
Yes, no excuses for my little joking with KKR. My comments were indeed, way off the subject.

I've never read all of the ROE's. No one has ever corrected me in their regard and I simply thought that what I considered to be "FAIR PLAY" was indeed fair play :chin:

I love the idea of removing unloaded transports from the map. I do not like the idea of removing combat units from the map whether they are in a situation where they might be over-run or suffer some other method of attack.

I did play a scenario once wherein the designer mentioned that my large contingent of forces were within his artillery's range of fire and he would not plot them for a couple of turns. Perhaps he should have made these unit unable to fire until a given number of turns had expired (if that is possible).

I have played other scenarios wherein my opponent has penetrated an area very close to where I might receive artillery as a reinforcement. My option there being to not accept reinforcement until such time as I am able to drive off his offensive units.

Of course, it is within reason to assume that your opponent might have some experience with a scenario and have knowledge of where your artillery might be. This brings up another gaming situation that I will address in another post.

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote this message in a reply