• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Old Bolt stuff
12-16-2009, 08:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2009, 08:38 AM by Aaron.)
RE: Bolt out of the Blue 4.5
I havnt heard anyone say this was happening, theoretically it could happen but i believe highly unlikely. From what i remember you need full movement points in order to blow a bridge so you cant fly out and blow it on the same turn and these units are assigned to brigade/divisional HQs so would be out of C&C pretty quick if you flew to far out and that would slow them down, Now i can say i have divided up the Grentruppen and Czech border units into company level so security will be much tighter in EGermany/Czech area plus a little bit into West Germany in 4.6. When i have some time ill run a little test on it and see what could be the worst that could happen.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2009, 09:07 AM,
Aaron:
You probably forgot,but we discussed this exact thing earlier as it took place in a team game with one unit blowing half the bridges on the Elbe.(Still out there zooming around as far as I know)Security guys were not in positions to guard bridges being placed on VP locations instead.(Which made sense untill this tactic came up)
This was the game before 4.5 so perhaps you have addressed it.I am on the NATO team in the 4.5 so someone else will have to check the security guys.

Kuriltai
12-16-2009, 09:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2009, 09:47 AM by Dog Soldier.)
In WW2 it was common to guard key bridges in the rear of an advance needed for the supply lines of the spearheads with flak units.

Perhaps just an addition of flak units capable of destroying/damaging the small engineer helo units with their AA factor will deter such a tactic. Make the AA units have a fire ability instead of movement factors so they are thus "fixed" to bridge guard duty. That way the flak can not be used for additional gamey moves. They will not add to the number of units at the front disrupting your current play balance. If necessary, make several batteries part of an at start S/O so the enemy player with the engineer helos will not know exactly where they are placed. There does not need to be enough flak to guard every bridge, but enough so this tactic can not cause serious harm unless some risks are run by the helo engineers.

If the AA units are strong enough to put the engineers "on foot" those guys should be good as dead. Being flying engineers should make them an expensive VP unit, so using them in such a flippant way would cost the owning player their capability and some hefty casualty VP.

As to the forest hide and seek tactic, if I had to hunt helos with ground units, I would use some mobile flak units in the "hunting party". With a little thought it would be like hunting quail or pheasant. Pull!

Just some thoughts.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-17-2009, 12:01 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:As to the forest hide and seek tactic, if I had to hunt helos with ground units, I would use some mobile flak units in the "hunting party". With a little thought it would be like hunting quail or pheasant. Pull!

Just some thoughts.

Dog Soldier

The only problem with that is the flak unit only moves 2-3 hexes through the woods per turn while the helo unit moves 50. Good luck hunting!:)
12-17-2009, 01:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2009, 01:33 PM by Aaron.)
How about a defense of 0, you would only have to bump into one unit to learn your lessen. These units also lost 3HA,3SA and 3 Assault because they were equip lighter. Could reduce the movement also, this and the lower defense can be seen as the helos they are moving in have the engineering equipment slung underneath them for transportation. And i did mention the the Grenztruppen and Czech Border units were broken down into companys so there will be extra security in EGermany/Czech plus a little ways over the border.

Aaron

Edit: Ah cant go to a def of 0 only 1.
Rangers Lead the Way
12-17-2009, 03:04 PM,
James Ward Wrote:
Dog Soldier Wrote:As to the forest hide and seek tactic, if I had to hunt helos with ground units, I would use some mobile flak units in the "hunting party". With a little thought it would be like hunting quail or pheasant. Pull!

Just some thoughts.

Dog Soldier

The only problem with that is the flak unit only moves 2-3 hexes through the woods per turn while the helo unit moves 50. Good luck hunting!:)

James,
I would not send the shooters into the bushes, only the dogs to flush the birds. Guess you do not hunt much. Sorry if I lead you astray with the analogy.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-17-2009, 04:43 PM,
Never tried this myself but Hinds have a small AA value, could you not hunt them down with a Hind unit???? I still can change the def to a 1 and changed movement from a 26 to a 16 and it would make it easier to track them down with a Hind which has a AA value of 5 and a movement of 26.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
12-17-2009, 06:10 PM,
Would it not be easier to up the Security guys AA value a bit? I think you have already addressed this with the release of the security guys. I dont think I want my valuble gunships or anybody else for that matter running around trying to guess which bridge is next.
12-17-2009, 07:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2009, 07:03 PM by Aaron.)
Yes it does address it for the rear rear areas but the Border units cant follow the assault that far into Germany, i believe i now have the Czech Border units able to cover up to the Danube bridges and thats it if you go any farther you will run out of Command range. It does open it up for your security units to be able to move farther forward and not have to worry about the rear rear area. So far ive upped values on Soviet Sec units 6 HA,3 SA and 6 DEF to show the scattering of tanks and APCs in the units, still trying to find out if it had SA-7s, im assuming they do just tryin to figure out how many so yes the AA value might go up on the security units but NOT the border units.

I wasnt thinking of having you guess which bridge is next but if you wanted to flush them out of the woods a flyover of a Hind unit could do the job.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
12-17-2009, 11:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2009, 11:54 PM by James Ward.)
tazaaron Wrote:Never tried this myself but Hinds have a small AA value, could you not hunt them down with a Hind unit???? I still can change the def to a 1 and changed movement from a 26 to a 16 and it would make it easier to track them down with a Hind which has a AA value of 5 and a movement of 26.

Aaron

I use my attack helo's to attack the enemies helos in a jam so giving them a higher attack value would make them even better air 'air superiority' helicoptors!
Isn't the chance of blowing a bridge related to a units attack strength? If so perhaps the solution is to make them really sucky on the attack so they can't blow bridges easily.