• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MB board and usage
09-11-2009, 05:54 AM,
RE: MB board and usage
Since action was taken. I enjoy coming to the Blitz even more. Good conversation and discussion. The nice thing about all this is more constructive discussion has resulted with everyones opions being heard. My thanks to all who fought for this.
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2009, 06:31 AM,
Mike Abberton Wrote:KKR,

I think it is possible to inject some humour into a post, but the tricky part is doing so that:

A) everyone knows it's a joke. And assuming we are talking about a vigorous debate thread, that should include not just your buddies or routine opponents who have some feel for your written sense of humour, but particularly people you either have bad history with on the MB or with whom you are engaged in vigorous debate. And,

B) there is not an obvious (although perhaps unstated) butt of the joke, except maybe yourself.

Sort of like I said before, if you have pre-qualify a comment that it's just a joke, it's probably better to skip it entirely or re-phrase it so it doesn't need the pre-qualification. For every joke that defused a tense situation with laughs all around, there is probably another one that made one side or the other feel they were being mocked

As always, my thoughts only, and your mileage may vary,
Mike

P.S. By the way, the whole mileage thing was just a joke to lighten the mood. :)

P.P.S. Oops, now I just violated my own rules by having to qualify that it was a joke. Eek

Fair enough Mike.....I like your point about the need to define or explain a joke totally defeating its' purpose. A smiley might help. There is always, of course with humour the likelihood of language difficulties....even with those whose common language is English.
09-11-2009, 06:31 AM,
RedDevil Wrote:Yep it's me Earl,
You know I still need to get up your way for that lobster and Pat's Cooking :) I've seen your pic and I know she's a good cook!

Dev,
Your right about 4 things............we have lobster.........Pat's a helluva cook..........I am over weight(PC for fat)..............and you are always welcome here :-)

Earl
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
09-11-2009, 07:27 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:Fair enough Mike.....I like your point about the need to define or explain a joke totally defeating its' purpose. A smiley might help. There is always, of course with humour the likelihood of language difficulties....even with those whose common language is English.

And of course, if the thread itself is a not a, shall we say, vigorous one ;), then there is no need to hold back on the humour in my opinion. I doubt too many people want a dry, stuffy MB to read any more than they want a constant flame-war either.

It's just seems to me that as the debate gets hotter, that a little more caution should be exercised to not to be misunderstood.

Mike
09-11-2009, 07:37 AM,
Mike Abberton Wrote:It's just seems to me that as the debate gets hotter, that a little more caution should be exercised to not to be misunderstood.

Mike

Absolutely...could not agree more. The point raised by Jim von Kreig about not rushing into things makes a lot of sense.
09-11-2009, 12:14 PM,
Gordons HQ Wrote:So I thought I would give you my reasons for giving up with this game.

Respectfully, Gordon, but your reasons don't jive. The Blitz forum and "the game" are two entirely separate entities. I absolutely understand your frustration with the forums, but I can't understand anyone who lets someone else's comments in a forum thread keep them from having a good time PBEM with others. Even if you stop posting, the Blitz is still a great place to meet and play others who enjoy the same thing you do. I have yet to play someone I didn't like. Screw the forum. It has nothing to do with it.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-11-2009, 06:24 PM,
I don't really mind what form the discussions take on this board, so long as - in the end - everyone realises that I am right :P

Personally, if a thread is beginning to annoy me, I generally ignore it and stop reading the posts... it's all part of growing up and being British!
09-11-2009, 06:28 PM,
OK Rudolph....don't rub it in. You regained the Ashes. Cry
Who wants a bloody little cheap tin pot with some bloody ashes in it anyway!!:hissy:
09-11-2009, 06:35 PM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:Who wants a bloody little cheap tin pot with some bloody ashes in it anyway!!

Answer: Ricky Ponting

Barmy Army.... Barmy Army.....Barmy Army.... cheers
09-11-2009, 06:48 PM,
And the rest of us! Top series, lost a lotta sleep, Australia generally played better, but England played better when it mattered.