• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MB board and usage
09-08-2009, 02:01 PM,
RE: MB board and usage
Because the use of HT's in certain situations has always been a subject that brings about strong feelings, I am using it as an example:

I can imagine the subject bringing about strong feelings based upon a historical basis or some other reasonable observation in regard to their proper use, but I cannot imagine nor condone "name-calling" in regard to the matter.

Of course, I can understand the first punch thrown being countered.

Having broken up many a bar fight during my years as a club owner, my first goal was to put a stop to the confrontation and then to determine who had begun it and either warn them or ban them from my club for a period of time depending upon the severity of the infraction.

Usually after a short period of being banned, the person banned would approach me with an apology for their actions and a promise to behave.

I would thing that a similar approach might work well in regard to the current problems the site seems to be experiencing.

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2009, 11:32 PM,
I have given up with this forum because of the actions of a one or possibly two members in the past.
I'm sure everyone can guess who I am on about after reading this.
I wouldn't call it name calling or even abusiveness they simply hijack any post you make if they don't agree with it.
I believe I tried to post some interestingly different views on the game and put them up for general discussion in the subjects I posted.
However the content was obviously not to their liking, so they wreck the post.
Well they just out type you, post reams and reams of rubbish and you have to read all through this junk to get to the issues.
But with all this junk to read through you are often steered away from the real issue that was posted for discussion up some blind alley.
They have then achieved there objective of wrecking your thread because it does not agree with their views on the game.
A very clever tactic and it works, I got tried of it and I wonder how many other did too.
I don't usually bother to post anymore because of these members actions. However it seems I'm not alone in this opinion of these members. So I thought I would give you my reasons for giving up with this game.

Gordoncheers
09-09-2009, 03:01 AM,
Montana Grizz Wrote:Usually after a short period of being banned, the person banned would approach me with an apology for their actions and a promise to behave.

I would thing that a similar approach might work well in regard to the current problems the site seems to be experiencing.

That is a good idea. Instead of suspending someone's privileges based on a period of time, make the removal of the suspension contingent upon an apology and a promise to behave. Would sure cut down on repeat offenders I'd wager.
09-09-2009, 03:35 AM,
steel god Wrote:That is a good idea. Instead of suspending someone's privileges based on a period of time, make the removal of the suspension contingent upon an apology and a promise to behave. Would sure cut down on repeat offenders I'd wager.

IMHO, the inappropriate behavior has reached the "tipping point" on the Blitz forums... and either a "voluntary" solution (players will police themselves better) or "involuntary" solution (moderator imposed) will be implimented.

In either case, the problem will be resolved? :chin:

I look forward to healthy debates and the friendly sharing of ideas about the game we love to play and discuss! :smoke:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
09-09-2009, 04:36 AM,
Well let us hope it can be the former and not the later Mike.

In the past week we've had 30 odd threads containing 125+ posts with hardly a spark to be seen, despite a couple of the threads being practically kindling material in terms of content. So perhaps the self moderation is possible.
09-09-2009, 06:23 AM,
I think Gordon's post highlights the problems exactly. - The migration away from the MB over a couple of individuals?
Montana Grizz's comments are on the mark as well, out of all this, an apology would show a bit of understanding about the problems that have been caused. Rather than a Man being judged by what they can 'give and take', perhaps the bigger man is the one who can say sorry?
In this context, I would apologise for 'rearing up' to comments made to me, that's why I took a momentary time out to take control of myself.
Re your last comment Paul, I received an e-mail stating the thread had a breath of fresh air the past week, which I think highlights the problems also. Unfortunately, I think moderators need to spend a period of time monitoring and 'imposing' to ensure the troubles don't creep back in?
regards
Peter
09-09-2009, 06:56 AM,
I agree on Gordon's post.

I think that a good indiction of Hijacking behaviour is the number quotes used in a single post

like quoting every sentence separately
and in response quote everything that's been quoted before
that doesn't add anything, because it's all been said before
and please makesure that you stay ON topic

regards
Remko
09-09-2009, 07:28 AM,
Remko's points are good. The staying on topic is a hard one, because any discussion anywhere, in any lingo, verbal or written, has the possibility of being seduced away from the original subject by something valid and interesting that just comes up.
I don't see it as the role of moderators to keep threads on topic. All meetings have chairmen, whose main task is to keep to the agendum. What about the bloke who starts the thread playing a bit of a chairman role. My bunker/pillbox thread above has moved off target a bit, and I will shortly try to correct the fall of shot.
09-09-2009, 07:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-09-2009, 07:32 AM by Jason Petho.)
Remko van den Berg Wrote:I think that a good indiction of Hijacking behaviour is the number quotes used in a single post

I am inclined to disagree.

It is a valid method of discussion, allowing one to focus on the subject matter being discussed while weeding out the unnecessary information.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
09-09-2009, 08:17 AM,
I would contribute to more threads if I knew I wouldn't be boiled and tarred for trying.. old grievances and modern misconceptions just can't be left to lie for some tho.

Civility and honor are mere shadows of themselves anymore, it's up to us to breathe life back into the old girl..she's still chugging, but I've seen the black smoke and it ain't pretty...
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard