• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Need someone who can help me in Dutch.
09-09-2009, 05:11 AM,
RE: Need someone who can help me in Dutch.
Sch Wrote:Dutch sounds like if someone tried to speak german after a long evening of heavy drinking. =)

Niederländisch lautet ja auch ein bischen wie Plattdeutsch. Ja faktisch wie eine mischung zwischen dänisch und deutsch.

For example:

"Eeuwenlang vormden Rijn en Donau de noordgrens van het Romeinse Rijk en daarmee ook de grens tussen beschaving en barbaren."

For centuries the Rhine and the Danube formed the northern border of the Roman Empire and therefore also the border between civilization and the barbarians.

Easy-Peasy :cheeky:
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2009, 06:50 AM,
JDR Dragoon Wrote:For centuries the Rhine and the Danube formed the northern border of the Roman Empire and therefore also the border between civilization and the barbarians.

I knew it! I live (just) north of the Rhine. This explains a lot...

Plattdeutsch is also known as Niederdeutsch. Only a fistful of centuries ago the two languages were often referred to as Nederduits and Hoogduits, where the latter meant German and the former meant Dutch.

Certainly Dutch descends (literary according to some :whis:) from old German. Which you still can see in a name like Bremerhaven. Haven (harbour) (or harbor according to some :whis:) is Dutch, the German word being hafen.

Similarities with Danish are also abundant. Bataljon, Opklaring, etc. I actually I think the Dutch are descendants of Danes that moved here quite a bigger fistful of centuries ago.

Which concludes our lecture for tonight. For tomorrow you will all write a 10-page essay on Dutch Courage in context of your own Wargaming Deeds™ (Toast)
Send this user an email
09-09-2009, 04:48 PM,
From down South on the African Continent basically Afrikaans originated from the Dutch, French and German setlers that came to the shores from the 1600's. They then seperated in 1852 and moved away from the British Control Cape Colony and in a space of 65years Afrikaans developed rapidly into the language it is today.

A lot of similarities exists, but the strongest influance is still the Dutch part.

My 2c on History here :)

Heerlik!