• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Night Time is the right time for sleep? Are you kidding??
09-24-2007, 11:51 AM,
RE: Night Time is the right time for sleep? Are you kidding??
Whilst I agree with most that has been said about fatigue I think a more serious problem about night is that it is as easy to do things(co-ordinate attacks, move across country etc) at night as during the day. Even in modern times with night sights and immensely improved communications night operations are tricky to get right. I was with 4th Armoured Brigade in Germany for many years in the 80's and we were good! but at night everything was more difficult.

One idea I had was that there should be a % chance of disrupting when moving at night not in T-mode on a road, variable on the rating of the unit (A class maybe 5%, E 85% for instance) to represent the better abilities of well trained units. Don't know if it is even possible to do or maybe someone could think of something better or if it is something worth considering.
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2007, 03:56 PM,
bdtj1815 Wrote:One idea I had was that there should be a % chance of disrupting when moving at night not in T-mode on a road, variable on the rating of the unit (A class maybe 5%, E 85% for instance) to represent the better abilities of well trained units. Don't know if it is even possible to do or maybe someone could think of something better or if it is something worth considering.
I like this idea very much, but it would require some adjustment for both the lunar cycle and weather. Some nights are simply pitch black, while others are not nearly so bad.
09-25-2007, 02:31 AM,
All you guys who have done this before know that movement is much slower at night. If you convoy in tactical mode, all vehicle lights are off, I remember on some occasions following the little chemical light hanging from the vehicle in front of me. Troops on foot are also much slower. I alsö remember excercises through the woods where you had to feel around for trip wires after every step. You also have to move quietly, stepping carefully so you don't break a twig and reveal your presence.

As far as vehicle breakdown is concerned, there wasn't any real difference between day and night. Still, if something broke, it was very hard to do a quick repair at night and move on. It's really hard to even change a tire on a cloudy moonlit night. You also have to practice noise discipline, so whatever you do has to be done quietly.

As far as gaining fatigue during the day, I kind of like that idea, but you would also have to increase the rate of fatigue recovery to compensate for this. If you increase the fatigue by adding fatigue during the day, it's going to disadvantage the attacker in most scenarios. Generally, the attacker is doing all the moving while the defender sits and waits to be attacked.
09-25-2007, 05:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2007, 05:13 AM by Volcano Man.)
Quote:All you guys who have done this before know that movement is much slower at night.

Yes, but keep in mind that units already move at slower rates at night because night turns are normally (at least) two times the length of day turns.
Send this user an email
09-25-2007, 07:00 AM,
Oh yeah, of course, I forgot about that.

Well, I'm still relatively new at this system. My virgin status should shield me for a few more weeks, at least.
09-25-2007, 07:39 AM,
No big deal, I really only mention it because even the most veteran players forget this fact from time to time. I have forgotten it myself at one point when I felt the same way about night ops.
Send this user an email
09-02-2009, 02:09 PM,
I agree with that! For me, Night Time is the right time for sleep.