• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Do you watch replays during your game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Of course, you need too if you are to win!
61.11%
22 61.11%
Sometimes, if they don't take too long.
30.56%
11 30.56%
Bah, who has time for them!
8.33%
3 8.33%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Replays
09-10-2009, 10:19 AM,
RE: Replays
Yes you are correct that sometimes the replay is useful. I'm right that sometimes it is misleading. The trick is knowing which is what and when.
What annoys me about the rename thing is when they give 'it' a number and I look at the spotted line and see 4 and think I have 4 targets when I really have unit #4 targeted. And I'm annoyed at myself, not my opponent. He's just doing his best, I'm the maroon that lost track of what I was shooting at.
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2009, 01:43 PM,
low_bidder Wrote:He's just doing his best, I'm the maroon that lost track of what I was shooting at.

Been there, done that...

GUNSLNGR

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push."

09-13-2009, 06:55 AM,
zeiss Wrote:Why not just simple make a rule before the battle that you don't allow renaming of units.. and a rule to limit z-fire will make the replay less boring for those who has that problem..

Vesku Wrote:and then there are those who pop up a Sherman on the hill, fire once, rename it to another model of Sherman and fire a second shot, rename to yet another model and fire a third shot ....

Will this (cheesy tactic) actually work in practice? Your opponent must first spot the name change and then actually be conned by the parade of different tank models that fires 1-2 shots.

Hello Vesku, Zeiss,

well, I'm guilty of re-naming units.. but I always rename like units with the same name.. something appropriate.. M4 shermans = 'Tommy Cooker'.. M3 Stuarts = "Tin Can".. sometimes I'll pull names out of a favorite movie: Sniper = 'seeker', AT gun = 'Bludger'..

IIRC, in all the games, the computer informs you of what is shooting and if the name has been changed, then if you called the unit 'fly-swatter', you see a report of fly-swatter firing.. and yes, it's possible to rename a unit in between shots..

While, I might re-name things, I do it more for the humor than the fog of war factor.. recent game with Gunslinger saw my 1940 USA troops vs his Germans.. tin can's (Stuart tanks) Rough Riders (dismounted cavalry troops) Red-Necks (Regular Infantry), pop-guns (81mm mortars), wagons (2.5t trucks), squirt-guns (MG's), poor quality FO became 'Blind Man'.. etc

I don't see any real harm.. as long as once the name is changed, it stays that way and all the like units are named the same.. re-naming after shooting.. not nice at all..

Greybeard
09-13-2009, 04:03 PM,
If I see a Red-Neck firing at me I certainly will check the unit because that's not one in the OOBs :). Different thing is when the name is a one which can be misleading like naming a flamerteam to a forward observer. Still, even if the renaming isn't ambushing you it does slow the game.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
09-13-2009, 09:54 PM,
Greybeard, if you have time to rename units for fun then you're definitely not playing enough games! Whip
Divided Ground no-CD & DGVN exe: here

[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
09-13-2009, 10:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2009, 10:42 PM by wigam.)
I have played Greybeard and his remaning of units is in no way sneaky, I can remember quite vividly be cooked by an BBQ named unit (or something along those lines) ;) He named his units and they stayed that way for the game.

What un-nerves me is the way it can be abused. Makes me not want to watch the replys. lol
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
09-14-2009, 08:41 AM,
zeiss Wrote:Greybeard, if you have time to rename units for fun then you're definitely not playing enough games! Whip

Hello Zeiss,

well, It seems as I've had a couple of boots go AWOL on me.. I have time for one more game.. you up for one?

Greybeard
09-14-2009, 10:06 PM,
We do have some unfinished business as I recall. But I got a couple of games "pending" that I need to sort out first. Give me a couple of days and I'll get back to you.
Divided Ground no-CD & DGVN exe: here

[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
09-15-2009, 05:32 AM,
Vesku Wrote:If I see a Red-Neck firing at me I certainly will check the unit because that's not one in the OOBs :).

Come down to Alabama, I see them firing at me all the time...

GUNSLNGR

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push."