• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Do you watch replays during your game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Of course, you need too if you are to win!
61.11%
22 61.11%
Sometimes, if they don't take too long.
30.56%
11 30.56%
Bah, who has time for them!
8.33%
3 8.33%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Replays
08-31-2009, 10:35 AM,
RE: Replays
Weasel Wrote:It is too bad it is so hard to get an online game going, that is real fun!!

The recent post querying for a TCP/IP game got me thinking about this. The last time I tried real-time SP, it was brutal. Everything that seemed so simple became so hard, because I had a 5-minute clock ticking and couldn't sit and ponder the 64 different approaches to killing unit X.

I would not mind trying again, but I guess it would have to be in SPWAW, yes? WinSPWW2/MBT doesn't offer online play as I understand.
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2009, 04:06 PM,
seabolt Wrote:
Epoletov [SPR Wrote:.]
P.S.: Reveal secret, who these three cool commander : "Bah, who has time for them!" ? :smoke:

Vesku, Vesku's good twin, and the ghost of Vesku's past. :cheeky:

Brutal, very brutal dude .... but also very true :)
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
08-31-2009, 10:24 PM,
Weasel Wrote:
Cross Wrote:Wow! I'm surprised that - so far - 50% don't watch it every time.

Why go into battle half blind?

I think it comes down to players not really worrying about the win/loss (don't get me wrong, they still want to do as well as possible) as much as just play the game and have fun. As I said, in big games the replays can take up to an hour; if you are playing 5 opponents who has that much time?

Hi Weasel,

Watching the replay is not about the win/loss for me. Although I also want to do well.

The replay is just an integral part of the game and the fun.

I would much prefer to watch a replay than watch TV/tele. Even more so if the replay is of a game I'm am playing.

My perspective is, that if you are playing so many games that you don't have time for replays, then you are playing too many games. Big Grin
09-01-2009, 03:03 AM,
I don't know, maybe it all boils down to the replay being too painful to watch, all my lovely units and plans destroyed so quickly. It seems the entire SP ladder has the measure of me since WINSP came out!! Cry
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-01-2009, 09:47 AM,
Weasel Wrote:I don't know, maybe it all boils down to the replay being too painful to watch, all my lovely units and plans destroyed so quickly. It seems the entire SP ladder has the measure of me since WINSP came out!! Cry

there there...pat pat pat...it'll be OK...pat pat...Big Grin

If that's true, why do you keep beating me all the time??...grrr

I almost always watch replays as i hate to think an enemy has been active against me and I do not realise it is there. It's a quick way to losing more units, and eventually the battle.

If I am well on the way to winning, I might skip the replay, or more realistically, if I am being pounded into defeat.
I especially get annoyed at over use of z-fire. That makes replays very long and boring and I will sometimes skip replays if that is happening.
And then think twice about playing that oppo in the future.

I agree with Cross...it is like watching a wee movie, that you were part of creating. I really like that aspect of the replay and have always enjoyed watching them.
There is nothing quite like watching a long planned ambush come off Big Grin

Cheers all
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
09-01-2009, 12:23 PM,
Actually our last 10 games have been for me: 3 wins, 4 losses and 3 draws. For the last 20: 6 wins, 8 losses and 6 draws. So by no means do I have the edge, in fact you do!! So I will go back to crying in my beer (just crappy Guinness anyway).
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM,
You have to be kidding!
I thought I was slightly behind in the count...go figure.
Oh well... I am sure that will balance out fairly swiftly.

I used to like Guinness but I have tried to stop drinking all beer now and just drink whisky instead.
It's a health related thing Big Grin
Beer makes me fat, whiskey just destroys my liver and brain...:whis:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
09-01-2009, 05:53 PM,
Quote:Walrus said: I especially get annoyed at over use of z-fire. That makes replays very long and boring and I will sometimes skip replays if that is happening.
And then think twice about playing that oppo in the future.
Also I act ! cheers

Let's admit supression fire:
- gun; mortar;
- vechicle;
- infantry;

Irritates much supression fire:
- MG-units.
Send this user an email
09-02-2009, 08:32 AM,
If my opponent has a LOT of ATGM's, I'll watch the replay to see where I need to face my turret and shoot arty, if I have enough to spare. In pre-ATGM games, I seldom bother. I'll either have the Op firing unit spotted, or I won't. Replay won't change that. I use marching fire on a situational basis. Mostly I know which area to use it on. The replay can be used to confuse your opponent. That is good, except when I'm the opponent.
09-03-2009, 09:35 AM,
I usually watch them...right up until all my plans evaporate into a complete rout - by then it's usually too painful to watch.

What I do like to see in the replay is how my artillery/air strikes did. It also is helpful, to me, to see where something that remains hidden on my turn might have popped out from on the other guy's turn. I may not be able to see it, but from the replay I know generally where it is. That way, at least I know there is a bad guy tank lurking somewhere behing those trees - rather than just speculating why my tank is now a burning wreck.

Having said that, I do absolutely hate watching unit after unit fire...over and over...but that's usually where I sip my scotch and reflect on how bad I suck at this game.Big Grin

GUNSLNGR

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push."