• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CS Game Scale - Manual Style
08-30-2009, 07:53 AM,
RE: CS Game Scale - Manual Style
MrRoadrunner Wrote:He [James Dunnigan] also designed a scenario for EFII?

Hey Ed: :)

Good memory! :smoke:

I was able to locate the following James Dunnigan stock scenarios:

(EF2) The Real Deal (August 4, 1942)

Near Rzhev, 150km NW of Moscow: [Best played as Axis] For most combat troops on the Russian Front, reality was attacking or defending fortified positions. Most of the time it was like World War I trench warfare. The most common battle was not a mobile one, but troops coming out of their trenches to attack enemy fortifications. To show this, we take you back to the summer of 1942. At the same time the battle for Stalingrad was just beginning, the armies in front of Moscow prepared to push the Germans back. This action shows the attack of the Soviet 20th Army against three divisions of the German 9th Army. The battle lasted for most of August 1942, although the German front line positions had been largely overrun in the first day of the attack. It is recommended that this scenario be played with the Russians (there are so many of them...) under computer control. Also, be sure to see the designer's notes document (pogorelo.doc) and the spreadsheet (pogorelo.xls) found in your East Front II directory for more information about this battle.

(WF) Behind the Mareth Line (March 23, 1943)

Along the Coast Road, 6km S of Gabes, Tunisia: [Best played as Allied with Fog of War "OFF"] By March of 1943 the Germans were on the retreat in Africa. The once-proud Afrika Korps was trying to hold off the Americans advancing from the west, and repulse British attempts to break through at the Mareth line to the SE. Meanwhile, behind the German lines, another war was being fought in the shadows as British long-range commando units scouted the enemy and tried their best to create mayhem in the enemy rear area. One such organization was popularly know as "Popski's Private Army." It was the smallest independent unit in the British army, led by Maj. Vladimir "Popski" Peniakoff. In this instance Popski had discovered a pass through some "impassable" mountains NW of the Mareth line. Popski planned to wait in ambush for an unsuspecting German formation to appear, hit it quick and hard, and escape into the night. To better simulate the commando's advanced planning and their knowledge of the terrain, it is suggested that you play with Fog of War turned "OFF". My thanks to Charles Kibler of Talonsoft for helping me figure out the settings needed to make a night ambush work in the game.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2009, 07:56 AM,
The Bible ? !!!!! What's that got to do with wargaming manuals Ed?
There are many ways the Bible can be interpretated, are you gonna start quoting pages of it now to 'prove your point' ?
Get real Ed. Your comment - 'Stuff and nonsense' is the first response to my post that proves what I said, -
''I suggest a few people are overriding others thoughts, ideas, contradicting them with 'slide-rule' comments to disprove their' thoughts''
Cheers Ed, you're a diamond my son.
I'm with Curt, ban me if that's to be, but I'll have my say against all this crap that's going on whilst I'm a member of the Blitz.
regards
Peter
08-30-2009, 07:58 AM,
To quote mr roadrunner
"The Bible is an old "document". The Constitution of the United States is an old document. Their truths are constant today. Even if "some" want to interpret differently, change, or belittle them because they are old."

Whilst I accept the CS manual is a useful document, to place it on a footing with the Bible and the US Constitution is absolutely ABSURD !!!!
08-30-2009, 08:04 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:To quote mr roadrunner
"The Bible is an old "document". The Constitution of the United States is an old document. Their truths are constant today. Even if "some" want to interpret differently, change, or belittle them because they are old."

Whilst I accept the CS manual is a useful document, to place it on a footing with the Bible and the US Constitution is absolutely ABSURD !!!!

What is absurd is your taking it that way?
Coming from you Rod, I find this extremely funny. Should I find some other "old documents" that people muddle their meaning to suit themselves and their agendas?
Or, did you want me to be tied in that chair so you could beat on me again? Eek:chin:Whip

Violin :pig:Whip

RR
08-30-2009, 08:09 AM,
glint Wrote:I'm with Curt, ban me if that's to be, but I'll have my say against all this crap that's going on whilst I'm a member of the Blitz.

Actually Huib's is a voluntary ban?
That means he is not going to post on the forums. If Curt's wish is to join him and he voluntarily stops posting that is Curt's wish.

You want to join them but you are still posting? And, taking cheap shots on your way out? :chin:

Can you not control yourself? :smoke:

RR
08-30-2009, 08:12 AM,
mwest Wrote:
MrRoadrunner Wrote:He [James Dunnigan] also designed a scenario for EFII?

Hey Ed: :)

Good memory! :smoke:

I wish it was better. The book I referred to was not written by James Dunnigan. It was "Wargame Design, The History, Production, and Use of Conflict Simulations Games." It was written by the SPI staff. 1976
Now that is an old book, that still works too!

RR
08-30-2009, 08:15 AM,
The last two posts are, I believe, personally insulting.
I will take no further part in this ridiculous farce.
08-30-2009, 08:17 AM,
you are being abusive Ed.

''Please, If you have other than personal attacks against CS Ladder members bring it on? ''

''Or, did you want me to be tied in that chair so you could beat on me again?''

''You want to join them but you are still posting? And, taking cheap shots on your way out?''

''Can you not control yourself?''

All abusive and personal attacks Ed?
You're 'roadrunning' everyones' remarks Ed!
regards
Peter
08-30-2009, 09:17 AM,
glint Wrote:I can't believe all this crap!

The exchange of ideas and thoughts on a forum thread?

glint Wrote:It's a game, designed, but with all sorts of interpretations by all sorts of players.

The "original debate" centered around the following:

"Each "hex" represents 250 meters."

"Turns are equivalent to approximately 6 minutes of real time."

Ed, Erik and others referenced the CS manual and Talonsoft designers' comments as the sources for the above points. But other players don't cite information sources, but choose to interpretate game scale and turn time differently based on their feelings?

glint Wrote:When I play a game, I might check how far a unit is going to move, what it's range is etc., and voila! - That's what the game does.

All unit movement and fire range are based on a game's scale. CS is a tactical game in which each hex represents 250 meters and turns are equivalent to approximately 6 minutes of real time.

glint Wrote:Some of these posts makes me think some guys shouldn't be playing games, they should be doing the real thing, maybe be President of the USA and decide once and for all what the defining rules are?

As with any exchange of ideas and thoughts, is it not good debate practice to weigh in with evidence and information that supports your position? :chin:

glint Wrote:I have no agenda in all this other than to try and suggest a few people are overriding others thoughts, ideas, contradicting them with 'slide-rule' comments to disprove their' thoughts and destroying what, a few years back, was a great site.

I disagree with your assertion that a few players are trying to "override" others thoughts..." Everyone may post their opinions, ideas and thoughts in this forum? Should not players who post their comments and defend them vigorously, not expect the same from others? Isn't that the idea behind forums?

glint Wrote:Now one becomes less and less interested in bothering to enter a post and give a point of view. This site is getting debilitated by a few people.

I am sorry you feel this way. Just because a player states an opinion on a subject does not guarantee that others will agree with him? Again, the nature of that debate exercise.

glint Wrote:I bought this game and nothing anyone says will detract from the enjoyment I get from it. That's based on 'MY' interpretation of the game, cos I paid for it.

Nobody is trying to detract from your enjoyment of the game? Every player hopefully enjoys the game in his own way.

glint Wrote:I don't need to come in here, trying to be a part of the community, only to see others' comments dismissed by quoting 'The Manual' - the manual was written ages ago, everything has a learning curve in life, hopefully, some in here will start 'learning' as well?

Again, posting your opinion to the forums does not guarantee that others will agree with it? Should not all players who post be allowed to support their arguments with referenced evidence? AND defend their positions as vigorously as others?
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-30-2009, 10:08 AM,
Ed/Peter;

You're both making it personal. Drop the tone down or you'll both have to take a time out. Not interested in the minutia of who crossed the line first, I have my opinion of who did what, but my policy with squabbles is it takes two and if I have to issue a time out, it will be two.

Paul