• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"Tactical" and "local" reserve...
08-22-2009, 10:30 PM,
"Tactical" and "local" reserve...
What is the difference ? In which conditions shall I use one more than the other ?

Thank you !
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2009, 12:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2009, 12:31 PM by Currahee.)
RE: "Tactical" and "local" reserve...
A unit in tactical reserve will move, during the combat phase, to an adjacent, friendly hex, to support a cooperative unit (same formation, or otherwise fully cooperative...)....It is a good way to shore up a defensive line, if you have enough units.....for example, you have three hexes to cover, and four units; if you had six units, you'd dig in two on each hex, but you only have four; so you dig in three units, one on each hex, and the fourth, set behind them and adjacent to all of them, and set on tactical reserve; whichever hex is attacked, it will move onto that hex during combat, and help hold the ground. But it won't defend entrenched, so if you know which hex will be attacked, or there is one critical hex you absolutely must defend, it's better to go ahead and entrench on that hex, rather than use tactical reserve.

Local reserve is different; the unit won't participate in combat, but will move toward the combat. I don't find it too useful, but I think it helps the PO play a better game...
08-23-2009, 09:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2009, 09:32 PM by Amnesia.)
OH my god..The definition you gave for tactical, I have thought that was local reserve for years..Are you sure to be right and not reversing the two terms in your explanation ??

Anyway, I really thank you to be the only one to reply, but it seems that even you, you don't master the two options perfectely, you gave a really short and inaccurate definition of one of the two terms.

kru maybe ?? With your insane ELO you must know I bet.

I guess local reserve in this way can be a bit usefull for the attacker player, if the defenser is strong enough to counter attack, placing some unit at middle distance on a node, and then they will continu the movement to the direction where supports are needed.
08-23-2009, 09:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2009, 10:56 PM by Currahee.)
No, I didn't get them confused with one another.

I don't claim to master anything perfectly! I just said I don't find local reserve too useful; others may like to use it. As said, the unit will move toward combat, but will not participate. At the start of your next move, it will be slightly closer to the combat that has taken place, and then you could move forward, perhaps using fewer movement points than if it had not been on reserve; on the other hand, by then, you may wish to use it elsewhere. I like to put my reserves where I want them, and not have to wonder where they might be when my turn starts!
08-24-2009, 03:56 AM,
Vincent-

Currahee has it right - and I share his lack of interest in local reserve.

On the other hand, as you know, I use tactical reserve all the time....
08-24-2009, 07:08 PM,
HOLY SHIT.

That works so much better !! before with local reserve I was wondering why it worked so inconsistently..Now with tactical reserve just behind the front line it reacts very fine !
Ofcourse now I will really let local reserve for exceptional cases, but still, there is plenty of scenarios where it can be a bit usefull, I mean scenarios where the attacker is not really more powerfull than the defenser and need to wonder where he will send his supports.
08-25-2009, 04:43 AM,
Amnesia, be careful with "Now with tactical reserve just behind the front line it reacts very fine !".
In order to respond, units have to pass a communications check and a quality check. Therefore unit proficiency and level of cooperation between units is important.

I also find that TR works much better for player 2. I think this may be due to Movement points. I.E. -In order to react as tactical reserve, the unit has to have at least enough MP to enter the hex, and if the unit has used a lot of it's MP, it may not react until the later combat phases, which may be too late, thus Player 2 has an advantage over player 1 in the use of tactical reserve, because his units being attacked will have all their MP's available.

(Can anyone more familiar with the detail of the game engine verify or dispel this hypothesis?)