• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

DD Tourney AARs
08-19-2009, 09:05 AM,
DD Tourney AARs
Please post your AARs from the Deadly Dozen Tourney here!

Rob
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2009, 06:07 AM,
RE: DD Tourney AARs
"A Deadly Meet" EFII

12 turns and I am the Axis.

Game begins as a draw.

Overall strategy: Take VP at 11,15 and 16,18 on first turn. This gives the Axis a major victory and forces the Russian to go on the offensive. You won't be able to hold the VP at 11,15 against the Russian forces, but when your opponent sees the hex change from Russian to German, they won't know how commited you might be to holding it and will have to approach with some care. In a 12 turn scenario, slowing your opponent down for a couple of moves is always a good idea.

I moved infantry and my StuG's to the depressions around 16,18 as those areas provide for good defensive positions.

I moved a couple of AC's to the area around 10,29 as spotters. This area provides for some good visibility for any attack coming along the left-flank from the southwest.

I moved all units in the 31,13 area to defend at 24,15. Units at 24,16 and 25,16 provide great visibility for any attack to my right flank from the northwest.

I moved my medium tanks (with commander) to the hexes around the VP at 20,21. 20,20 - 18,21 and 18,22 provide for some long-range visibility to the west and have the option of moving further west if needed at 16,18 or moving quickly north or south to protect either flank if a serious attack were to come from those directions.

The positive turning point for me was spotting and firing upon Russian tanks from the aforementioned hexes at 20,20 - 18,21 and 18,22.

I ended up destroying 13 Russian tanks and losing only one of mine. A more conservative Russian approach may have resulted in a draw or minor victory.

No flank attacks of any significance ever occurred, although there was some probing and I was able to hold the VP at 16,18 although it changed hands a couple of times.

This was pretty much a "Hi diddle diddle, straight up the middle" approach by the Russians and perhaps the only viable strategy? I can assure you that when I played the Russians, I pretty much did the same thing (AAR to follow).

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

08-20-2009, 09:28 AM,
"A Deadly Meet" EFII

12 turns and I am Allies.

Games begins as a draw.

Overall strategy: The Axis took my VP's at 11,15 and 16,18 on their first turn (Axis move first).

I have a major loss before my first turn and must obviously recapture 11,15 (a 50 point VP) or kill one hell of a lot of Germans.

I moved my T34-M41's with commander to 10,11. This provides me with visibility and direct fire opportunites on the VP at 11,15. I need not fear any return fire on my location because the Germans can't get anything there to fire on my tanks for several turns.

I moved by T34-M43's to 8,20 for shoot and scoot at 8,19 or 9,23 or eventual movement to 12,22 which provides a view of both VP's at 11,15 and 16,18.

I would use a spotter at 12,22 before moving tanks there because that hex also provides for visibility from German armor perhaps located to the northeast and out of range of Russian tanks.

The T-34's at 8,20 have the advantage of providing a staging area for any flanking manuever I might later make on the Germans left side.

I moved 2 AC's and 2 loaded scout cars to the 5,23 area for scouting purposes as well as combining with my tanks at 8,20 for the attack I have mentioned on the Germans left flank.

I moved all other units toward the VP at 11,15 (including my SU 75's), but stayed out of visible range of any German units.

I unloaded all of my infantry close to 11,15 on my second turn; fired on 11,15 with my tanks and took possession of the VP on my third turn.

My plan was to then move directly east toward the VP at 16,18 with my infantry supported by attacks on both German flanks by armor and some infantry I had in the southwest.

My opponent surprised me with a stubborn infantry attack on 11,15 combined with some support from German armor. It was a kind of forward defense of the VP at 16,18.

This continued attack cost the Germans some infantry and a few tanks, but I also lost some infantry and a few tanks.

The forward defense slowed me down considerably and put off my planned attack on 16,18 for too many moves for me to succeed with that attack. I finally cleared the highway between 11,15 and 16,18 - but a couple of turns to0 late to meet with any success.

The scenario ended in a draw with the Russians losing 6 T-34's and the Germans losing 3 IVH's and 3 StuG's.

I hope this works:

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy130...lyMeet.jpg[/IMG]

I expect to learn a great deal from these AAR's as other (more experienced) partipants explain their moves.

08-21-2009, 12:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM by Scud.)

.pdf   scud_v_ernst_a deadly_meet_mirror_AARs.pdf (Size: 2.67 MB / Downloads: 45)

Scud vs. Ernst "A Deadly Meet" mirrored AARs are attached in a downloadable PDF. Clicking the "mirror game link" in the PDF's first page, under the title, will jump the reader (yes, I'd like to believe there'll be one) to the second AAR.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
08-21-2009, 06:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2009, 06:52 PM by Skryabin.)
Montana Grizz Wrote:I hope this works:

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy130...lyMeet.jpg[/IMG]

You need to write [IMG] right in fronf of "http"...

Will look like this:

[Image: DeadlyMeet.jpg]

Just learned myself
cheers
08-21-2009, 07:00 PM,
Well done!
Thanks Dmitriy.

RR
08-22-2009, 12:56 AM,
Thank you for the information.

08-30-2009, 03:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2009, 03:46 PM by zap.)
A Deadly Meet a 12 turn scenario

PLAN As the Germans, to proceed to the 50 point hex at 16,18. With a combination of infantry and 4 Stug's. Hold and in defensive mode try and deal blows to his advance. The Russians have to move in open hexes to reach that objective.

Turn 1-2 I gained the objective hex also decided to move more infantry forward north of the city. I was able take the 2 fruit grove hexes by the 3 turn.

Turns 4-6 Russians came on scene. Mostly infantry, supported by 8 t34's. The germans were able to repulse the infantry loosing some sp's as well. In he meantime I moved 12 of my tanks to the forest (just left of the rear 50 point hex) expecting to see a flank manouver by my opponent.

Turns 7-10 It seemed the Russians were cautious in moving forward with his tanks. Moving my tanks out of the forest spotting some of his tanks. We exchanged shots. He lost a couple of tanks.

The battle for hex 16,18 (50 point) never really materialized. I was disloged from the fruit trees, moved back to the town hexes just south. This battle continued until the last turn but there was no real threat to the forward 50 point hex.

Turns 8-12 The major fighting ended up being outside the forest to the left of the southern city 50 point hex. It was an armor exchange of hide and seek.
Russians were kept away from both 50 point hexes. A combination of having his tanks disrupted along with losses. At the same time, I was loosing my armor in the exchange.

Turn 10 the russian advance lost momentum. So, the battle was more of attrition.

Summary The battle plan worked in this game partly due to the russians caution. However, I continued agressively the battle when I should have moved back to the defense of the cities. I had a major victory going. I could have saved losses that were not necessary.
08-31-2009, 08:22 AM,
Scud Wrote:Scud vs. Ernst "A Deadly Meet" mirrored AARs are attached in a downloadable PDF. Clicking the "mirror game link" in the PDF's first page, under the title, will jump the reader (yes, I'd like to believe there'll be one) to the second AAR.

Wow, excellent AR, David!

I'm afraid my eventual AR will have to be a bit more simplistic. I'd like to include screenies, though.

Question: Can you create a pdf document and post it to your photobucket account or some such? I'm not sure how you did that, but it was a joy to read.

And yes, I did see your overstack, you naughty gamer you. I will break you of that habit yet...Big Grin
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
08-31-2009, 08:43 AM,
Why, thanks. As for the PDF, you need Acrobat or a freebie program that will print PDFs. There are some out there, but not sure how good they are. Then you upload the file as an attachment. I did the whole thing in word, then printed the PDF. You could just as easily do the whole thing in something like Wordpad, which all PCs have. Then zip it and upload the zip for people to download. The Photobucket route seems a little painful to me. Too much uploading and linking.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email