• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

RECON units in MC
08-18-2009, 10:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2009, 11:05 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
RE: RECON units in MC
But you can have infantry and helicopter based based recon units. Dunno about infantry IN helicopters being recon Capable while in flight. Will have to check it out.

*EDIT*
Seems you can make any unit a Recon unit by type classing it as a such. So I would guess that helicopter or motorized infantry w. Recon trait should work just fine.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2009, 11:04 AM,
No, if u make a REC HEL u get recon helicopters, no infantry.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
08-18-2009, 11:06 AM,
tazaaron Wrote:No, if u make a REC HEL u get recon helicopters, no infantry.

Aaron

Ahh, yeah true enough. But motorized infantry can at least be Recon.
Send this user an email
08-18-2009, 11:22 AM,
Yes MOT can, in trucks have to stay near roads. If u look at history in the 80s almost all recon units were mech in track vehicles, much better at cross country.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
08-18-2009, 11:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2009, 11:36 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
tazaaron Wrote:Yes MOT can, in trucks have to stay near roads. If u look at history in the 80s almost all recon units were mech in track vehicles, much better at cross country.

Aaron

Make them "Halftrack" just like infantry in BMPs and M113s. That should give you an infantry unit with better all-terrain movement in Travel mode (although it will then be a hard target and thus targetable from afar by units w. multi-hex HA range ;))

*EDIT*
I suppose if you make it "Soft Halftrack" you would both get better All-terrain movement in travel mode and not be a Hard Target :chin:
Send this user an email
08-18-2009, 11:57 AM,
Patrolling units can't spot for artillery but a recon unit can.

Marquo :)
08-18-2009, 12:33 PM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:
Volcano Man Wrote:As I mentioned before though the search feature seems to be broken in these forums though (or at least unavailable to me). :(

Ed,
It might be something on your end. I just did a search of the forum and the function is working fine.
Contact me by email with some details and I will try to help you out.

Dog Soldier

Wow, it works now! :) Not sure what was going on earlier but it said I did not have permission to use the search function.
Send this user an email
08-18-2009, 01:26 PM,
Making it hard halftrack would still count as vehicles and as far as i know making it softtrack the inf wont be under armor while moving like they should be.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
08-18-2009, 07:43 PM,
No Midge. You are comparing apples and oranges. These features are very different.

Patrolling will only reveal enemy units at the start of the turn, if they are in the patrolling unit's two hex range. You can not move a patrolling unit until you take it out of patrolling mode.

Recon Spotting will discover units during the turn that were not spotted at the beginning of the turn. Recon units can move, spot, move again and sometimes spot twice in one turn if you are careful with the movement points.

A fine but important distinction as VM tried to point out.

Dog Soldier

Roger Dog,

Got you now.....................is there a set % chance of spotting when doing so with Reccon ?

But I take it as Los only extends to the adjacent hex at night, Reccon Spotting at night is still "Recce By Death" ?
08-19-2009, 02:20 AM,
Midge,
I do not believe recon spotting is a fixed % chance. It is a variable chance and the math is not spelled out. It seems to be a function of the size, morale and fatigue of the recon unit, and the same for the enemy unit(s) in LOS. I think the math takes into account the terrain of concealed unit. It has been my experience that not all units in a stack will be spotted by recon spotting, especially if these factors are different for each unit in the stack.

You are correct that recon spotting is of no use when visibility is at one hex.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp