• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Soviet Mechanized Infantry?
08-17-2009, 07:34 PM,
Soviet Mechanized Infantry?
Iam currently playing the Budapest '45 campaign and wonder if the soviets had mechanized infantry at all?

Not motorised. Mechanized, with halftracks and everything. Like the German pz gren formations.
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2009, 07:55 PM,
RE: Soviet Mechanized Infantry?
Yes. But they didnt use halftracks apart from some rare lend-lease APC's:

Soviets recreated division-sized mechanized infantry units termed Mechanized Corps, usually consisting of one tank brigade and three mechanized infantry brigades, with motorized supporting arms. They were generally used in the exploitation phase of offensives, as part of the pre-war Soviet concept of Deep operations. The Soviet Army also created several Cavalry mechanized groups in which tanks, mechanized infantry and horsed cavalry were mixed. These also were used in the exploitation and pursuit phases of offensives. Red Army mechanized infantry were generally carried on tanks or trucks, with only a few dedicated Lend-lease APCs.
08-18-2009, 10:07 AM,
I thought I had read once that most lend lease APCs were attached to HQ staff, GRU etc. and not numerous enough to equip a full formation of infantry replacing trucks.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-18-2009, 09:28 PM,
Thx for the explanation.

I have found some pics of soviet halftracks but their their mass production is post war.

[Image: 107239299.jpg]

[Image: 107239327.jpg]

[Image: 107239350.jpg]

would have been nice to have them earlier. :(