• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The armed half-track
08-17-2009, 11:13 PM,
RE: The armed half-track
Thanks for the reply Hawk.
I had the same in a game myself, although it was enemy tanks that I destroyed crossing a bridge thus blocking his route and causing him to move a whole mass of troops and armour a long way round the river, giving me valuable time.
I'm sure, as you confirmed,that a force defending at all costs, would use trucks or whatever to cause a blockade, if need be. Hence my comment - would that be classed as cheesy tactics?
regards
Peter
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2009, 11:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2009, 11:26 PM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
glint Wrote:I'm sure, as you confirmed,that a force defending at all costs, would use trucks or whatever to cause a blockade, if need be. Hence my comment - would that be classed as cheesy tactics?
regards
Peter

Not by me it wouldn't. Nor for wagons.

Bicycles & motorcycles I might raise an eyebrow at, but they can be overrun without much delay, so it would not bother me all that much.

These guys below did not think it to be a cheesy tactic.

Thanx!

Hawk

Attached Files
.jpg   cossack_road_block_dubasari.jpg (Size: 41.42 KB / Downloads: 32)
08-18-2009, 12:04 AM,
Well I said I was out of the half-track thingy but here goes.

In real life Hts were used in both offensive (attack and overrun) and defensive modes. Most had a radio and MG. Both the Axis and Allies also mounted other weapons such as but not limited to and in addition to the MG, rockets, flame, arty, AA, and AT, but the bottom line was it was still a HT. Hts were also used frequently as RECON. I spent 3 years in the Army in the 70s and we used a vehicle called a gama-goat which was nothing more than a amphibious truck which had a radio and a driver and co driver and was used among other things as a RECON and forward observer vehicle. As far as trucks spotting the game rules cover that, if it has a passenger it can spot (assuming the passenger had a radio)(some Russian units used signal flags for the lack of radio), if there is no passenger you get a ?. So as far as spotting and over runs I would have to say yes.

Troll
08-18-2009, 12:04 AM,
Just to be sure I haven’t been misunderstood, my earlier “they are my units and I can do what I like with them” post did only relate to armed firing capable halftracks which was the topic under discussion at the time and the subject of the thread.

Unarmed HT and trucks I either remove from map as stated in another thread a week or so ago or if the rules state I can’t do that I try to hide them well out of the way. Other posters have made some interesting points on truck and unarmed HT and their possible uses, but I think I will stay away from that kettle of fish for the time being.

Hawk I think unloaded trucks etc will still draw fire, but not certain?

cheers
08-18-2009, 01:24 AM,
Lol Hawk !
Glad to see my asumption was right, going by the picture.
Now, back to my question, - if this happened in a game, would it be classed as a cheesy tactic or a sensible tactic?

regards
Peter
08-18-2009, 02:18 AM,
glint Wrote:Lol Hawk !
Glad to see my asumption was right, going by the picture.
Now, back to my question, - if this happened in a game, would it be classed as a cheesy tactic or a sensible tactic?

regards
Peter

That was a modern battle picture to boot.

If you were playing me it would not be a cheesy tactic.

Nor would it be a sensible tactic as trucks are worth 3 points per SP can be overrun easily at the cost of 20 AP and leave no wrecks behind.

So by all means put 12 SP of trucks on a bridge in front of my troops.

I'll take the 36 victory points!

Thanx!

Hawk
08-18-2009, 03:45 AM,
I'm not well-versed in using the tactic Hawk, thanks for the tip, lol!
08-18-2009, 06:40 AM,
glint Wrote:I too, try to play without the gamey tactics Ed. My earlier post in this thread was to highlight something that may possibly have happened in a real life situation (blocking a bridge with trucks to prevent the enemy's advance) so, it could be a tactic employed in a game, would that then be gamey?

Peter

Honestly. Cite it so I can read it in a book or online. Are the crews with the trucks? Maybe we need uncrewed trucks that other units can push into place?
When done in this game it is usually gamey. I will not try to "out think" what my opponents intentions are by what I think he may be doing.
Anyone who tries to justify gamey tactics I can avoid playing.

Do I think that trucks, tractors, and/or tanks were never used to make road blocks? Of course not.
But, when done in the context of this game I just can reason it. I think players lose the sight of how expensive and important some equipment is, that it should not be "thrown away", for the rare times they were used to cause blocks.
Why do wagons not cause blocks? I see them in a lot of movies about the old West. ;)

cheers

RR
08-18-2009, 06:45 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:
glint Wrote:I'm sure, as you confirmed,that a force defending at all costs, would use trucks or whatever to cause a blockade, if need be. Hence my comment - would that be classed as cheesy tactics?
regards
Peter

Not by me it wouldn't. Nor for wagons.

Bicycles & motorcycles I might raise an eyebrow at, but they can be overrun without much delay, so it would not bother me all that much.

These guys below did not think it to be a cheesy tactic.

Thanx!

Hawk

Good one Erik. I wonder how long it took to build that roadblock?
More or less than six minutes. ;)

I still will not play someone who uses empty trucks to draw opt fire (they are soft targets and subject to opt fire when in range). And, the blocks are more rare than anyone will do over the course of their game experience? :chin:

cheers

RR
08-18-2009, 07:49 AM,
Whilst this thread started with 1/2Ts it has, not unreasonably, brought in truck use. Formerly worth 1VP, trucks have now been given the absurdly high value of 3. This changes the rules, I think. If a player wants to use his newly valuable trucks to spot, block, whatever....... let him. How many trucks fit in a hex? 12 or 15. I can take that nice gift with a little scout car, or indeed a 1/2 Track!!!
The process is called risk management nowadays, once known as common sense, and weighing the odds. Surely the application of that is up to the individual player.