• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The armed half-track
08-17-2009, 12:30 PM,
RE: The armed half-track
KKR,

...and, By God... KKR and I looking for reasons to screw each other...outside of the accepted rules...I do not think we have had an excuse to...Rod, please correct me, If I am wrong...we are going at it toe to throat...be advised...or, please educate us...

Cheers, Rod...
Curt
Town Drunk
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2009, 12:33 PM,
BioMan...,

...is trying to screw me too. So give him applause...
...'cause I am screwed...
cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
08-17-2009, 01:11 PM,
We're all screwed in one way or another, Curt mon ami.. And just in case anyone misconstrues what sort of screwing we are doing Guberman and I have a project of evaluating all WF and RS scens...by playing them all, in chronological order, rotating as first turn every 10 scens.

Hope we live long enough!
08-17-2009, 07:38 PM,
This thread seems to have taken on an edge?

I have some issues with the "my units can do it in the game, so I will do it" crowd.
First, if you rush unarmed trucks or HT half tracks forward to draw off opt fire, please don't play me.
If you move trucks and unarmed half tracks forward to spot units by the "?"'s that you will see, please don't play me.
If you use trucks and unarmed transports to surround my units, (because you can), to aid in overrun and capture, please don't play me.
If you use trucks and unarmed half tracks to load up a hex to block it for movement, exit, or line of sight, please don't play me.
If you move dismounted horses forward to draw opt fire, spot, or block hexes, please don't play me.
If you move commanders alone to draw opt fire and/or block a hex, or assault alone from a hex, please don't play me.

Some players, like me, believe in house rules to limit the "gamey" play of others. There is nothing that sucks more fun out of a game than playing a person who has to use the most gamey of moves to provide an edge so they can win at all costs.

I have plenty of opponents. Most think the same way as I do. I've rarely run into the "I can do what I want" type of player. I think I have only withdrawn from a hand full of games, and reported a major for my opponent, because my opponent refused to not do gamey things with trucks and unarmed halftracks.

I still sleep well at night too! ;)

cheers

RR
08-17-2009, 07:57 PM,
I too, try to play without the gamey tactics Ed. My earlier post in this thread was to highlight something that may possibly have happened in a real life situation (blocking a bridge with trucks to prevent the enemy's advance) so, it could be a tactic employed in a game, would that then be gamey?

Peter
08-17-2009, 08:38 PM,
MrRoadrunner Wrote:This thread seems to have taken on an edge?

I have some issues with the "my units can do it in the game, so I will do it" crowd.
First, if you rush unarmed trucks or HT half tracks forward to draw off opt fire, please don't play me.
If you move trucks and unarmed half tracks forward to spot units by the "?"'s that you will see, please don't play me.
If you use trucks and unarmed transports to surround my units, (because you can), to aid in overrun and capture, please don't play me.
If you use trucks and unarmed half tracks to load up a hex to block it for movement, exit, or line of sight, please don't play me.
If you move dismounted horses forward to draw opt fire, spot, or block hexes, please don't play me.
If you move commanders alone to draw opt fire and/or block a hex, or assault alone from a hex, please don't play me.

I still sleep well at night too! ;)

cheers

RR

Ed has it about covered................any halftrack debate will do........life is good!
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
08-17-2009, 09:40 PM,
glint Wrote:Something occurred to me, regarding this debate.
If you were holding a bridge against the enemy, i.e, Arnhem, would the defending army not block the bridge with whatever units it could, (lorries even?) to stop the enemy getting across? (If, of course, it was imperative to the defending action) ?

Yes you would and yes they did. There are all sorts of examples of this being done in an attempt to slow down the enemy.

I have never used trucks on a bridge but I have used armed halftracks on the bridge. My opponent blew away the 12 SPs worth and rendered the bridge useless.

Lesson learned by him.

He was not mad or angry and I am playing him now.

Thanx!

Hawk
08-17-2009, 09:43 PM,
Mr. Guberman Wrote:I'm sure many of you grognards (of the cardboard and paper days) are familiar with the never ending arguments that, not only stopped games, but led to fist fights and more drinking and deep emnities...when one of us stood with the rules in one hand and a beer in the other...and shouted all of us down, 'cause he knew the rules...and he had 'em right there in his own hands.

Our squad leader group seemed to have this problem from time to time.

Curt I will play you any time my friend. All I ask is all options on except for variable visability.

Thanx!

Hawk
08-17-2009, 09:46 PM,
Otto von Blotto Wrote:Entire post!
<Hardhat on mode> ;)

100% spot on.

Thanx!

Hawk
08-17-2009, 09:50 PM,
MrRoadrunner Wrote:This thread seems to have taken on an edge?

Don't they always? :rolleyes:

Quote:First, if you rush unarmed trucks or HT half tracks forward to draw off opt fire, please don't play me.

I am near 100% positive that empty trucks and unarmed non-armored halftracks do not provoke opp fire.

Thanx!

Hawk