• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The armed half-track
08-17-2009, 07:14 AM,
RE: The armed half-track
One of the reasons I like playing on the computer is the elimination of...endless rules debates...

I'm sure many of you grognards (of the cardboard and paper days) are familiar with the never ending arguments that, not only stopped games, but led to fist fights and more drinking and deep emnities...when one of us stood with the rules in one hand and a beer in the other...and shouted all of us down, 'cause he knew the rules...and he had 'em right there in his own hands.

I came here, to this place, hoping that was long past...and then observed the same thing going on...over HTs and other transports...and other sh!t...

...my whole hearted belief is this..."if you can do it, in the game...it is legal...run, HT's, trucks in the wrong place and et al...whatever...

...I thought the whole idea of making it a computer game was to get rid of that crap. It appears...those cats are still trying to make their beds...

...house rules?...who is the arbiter...the cat who complains?...I repeat...if it is legal it is alright...

That is my stand.

Cheers...and with much respect...to all of the kinds...
Curt
Town Drunk
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2009, 08:19 AM,
Wolfman Wrote:AARGH! Havent we been here before? (Many timesBig Grin) I have allways stuck by the principle of if it has an assualt value you can use it as you wish, no assault value and house rules apply.

Sorry Wolfman, please humour me. I haven't had this debate before, and I in turn will humour any other new people who join and want to thrash this one out too!
"When you cannot make up your mind which of two evenly balanced courses of action you should take -- choose the bolder." General W.J. Slim
08-17-2009, 08:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM by John Given.)
Trojan Wrote:If it can shoot at stuff surely you can use it how you like? I can understand how trucks oughtn't to be used as surrounding units in an assault, but a bunch of halftracks with mounted machine guns could be relatively formidable if you were trying to retreat through them?

As for using them to spot with I'm open to being educated on this. Is there a historical precedent for this?

The German 251-1 halftrack was equipped with the Fug-5 radio. Here's one source: http://www.tarrif.net/cgi/production/all...hiclesX=88

Interestingly, I could find NO DATA on radio's ever being carried in the halftracks of other nations, including the U.S. M2, M3, M3A1, M5, M5A1, or the Bren carrier.

Perhaps the Germans were the only ones who had radio's in their APC's, and the original person who postulated (so many years ago) that halftracks should not spot, was thinking of allied APC's??

Quote:the never ending arguments that, not only stopped games, but led to fist fights and more drinking and deep emnities...when one of us stood with the rules in one hand and a beer in the other...and shouted all of us down, 'cause he knew the rules...and he had 'em right there in his own hands.

Ah, the memories, the memories. :)
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
08-17-2009, 09:02 AM,
...?!
...indeed John, indeed...

Cheers
Town Drunk
08-17-2009, 09:36 AM,
Probably a bad move expressing an opinion on this but a long time has past and the mood seems to has changed somewhat here goes.

This HT debate has always bothered me somewhat, I must say I view that I’m the commander, I can use any combat unit at my disposal in any way I see fit if the program allows it, this is a war game after all and fair play and decency do not necessarily apply this in not a sports sim after all.

I don’t tend to use them in the spotting and attack roles much because they are a lot of points to lose but that doesn’t mean I think they can’t be used as such.

If your opponents use HT for spotting take them out with direct or indirect fire failing that smoke just in front of them and render them obsolete.

If they try to use them in attack and scouting, ambush and assault them.

If the program allows you to do things you should be allowed to do them, House rules like HT no more than 3 hex’s from it’s carrier unit is just playing to rule junkies, if JT etc envisioned it played that way they should have hard coded it into the game or one of the updates?

<Hardhat on mode> ;)
08-17-2009, 10:10 AM,
amen:smoke:
Town Drunk
08-17-2009, 10:32 AM,
Hmmm...seems like we're all agreed then. Not as exciting as everybody made it out to be and nowhere near as fun as the 'number of saves' debate. I was so up for a scrap as well! :2guns:

:chin:I s'pose I'd better play a scenario instead. Looking forward to getting stuck in now with those half tracks :P
"When you cannot make up your mind which of two evenly balanced courses of action you should take -- choose the bolder." General W.J. Slim
08-17-2009, 11:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2009, 09:40 PM by Steel God.)
The one I like is this: You put all of your trucks on either side of the exit hex (so you do not foul)...and invite your opponent, who must be kicking your ass (and looking to eat as much :censored: as he can)...to walk through the parade...to exit his units...while your "suport units stand by"...ahem...I say that is rot...and, by God, if any :censored: is gonna come aroun' here...I'll clean his :censored: clock...(this is a family show)...hang in there...see

any of you experienced :censored:...prove me wrong...that's the balance you are fighting to protect?...

...but you know...It takes all kinds...

anybody...?

Edit: Unnecessarily explicit profanity removed. sg
Town Drunk
08-17-2009, 12:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2009, 09:43 PM by Steel God.)
A Town Drunk Wrote:The one I like is this: You put all of your trucks on either side of the exit hex (so you do not foul)...and invite your opponent, who must be kicking your ass (and looking to eat as much :censored: as he can)...to walk through the parade...to exit his units...while your "suport units stand by"...ahem...I say that is rot...and, by God, if any :censored: is gonna come aroun' here...I'll clean his :censored: clock...(this is a family show)...hang in there...see

any of you experienced :censored:...prove me wrong...that's the balance you are fighting to protect?...

...but you know...It takes all kinds...

anybody...?

Curt, I once posted a poll that asked what other felt about the handling of exit hexes. I don't support blocking the path to them with transports. Btw, why would anyone keep their trucks near the exit hexes? That's where the enemy is going to be!

Edit: Unnecessarily explicit profanity removed. sg
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
08-17-2009, 12:23 PM,
John Given...specifically 'cause they won't let you...and to any of you MF's...who is gonna call a foul on a "house rule"...the cat that is winning or the cat who is loosing?...The winner cat will call it, to preserve his win...mark my words. In the spirite of "This game"...that is crap...

...we'll see who responds to this...
...they are winners...who are looking to explain their loss...
dammit...
Town Drunk