• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Site rules and rules carved in stone
08-07-2009, 08:21 AM,
RE: Site rules and rules carved in stone
"rest assured, when my force is not completely trashed at the end of my first turn...I will restart the scenario..."

That being said, down here in Tampa...PM TStorms are abundant. Even a lightning strike in the next count might shut everything down...even for a blip. When that occurs, I report to my opponent. The number of "saves" is of dubious value. Due to the above, I habitually save, even at work...but in the game, most often after any major sequences of moves. Restarts are the things that should be counted...reviewing numbers of saves...makes us look like East Germans spying on the couple on the floor below...that's not good.

Cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2009, 06:29 AM,
:stir::stir::stir::stir::stir:6 saves oooooh check them out:kill::kill::kill:Once again Ed only joking but you know that others might not get it.
08-08-2009, 06:33 AM,
Curt i know how you feel had a wonky cooker everytime switched on cut the power so had to save save save as my Wife never warned me she was going to cook.Just another example of the save issue.
08-08-2009, 07:29 AM,
Saves vs. Honesty:

Good players recognize good play.

Saves do not.

If RR or JB sent me a move with 27 saves I'd know they had 26 issues and finally got through the turn. Either one would rather die than cheat.

I don't think they are outliers in this group as a whole. They fit the curve, and there are a whole lot of others in the group who also fit this description and I am honored to know them, and fight them.

Let me get this straight before the beaters start lining up.
Good players are not always winning players.
Good players are what make this game worth playing.

Any questions?
Feel free to email or pm me and we'll talk it out.

Regards,

Dan
08-08-2009, 10:24 PM,
Thanks Dan. :)
I rarely save. On those occasions where I do save I explain it to my opponent if more than two saves.
I have three dogs at home, one of whom is 15 years old and requires a bit more trips "outside" than normal. She always gets me when I am in the middle of a game. Bark ... ruff ... bark, bark means "I gotta go now fool"! Eek
And, I have a 17yr old son, who does not drive, and sometimes seems to want to go to "the mall" to meet friends, right in the middle of playing a turn. "I told them I would be there in fifteen minutes, Dad!" :angry:
As with the dog with the weak kidneys I react to the son the same, instantly and effectiently. It works well that way. :smoke:

Communication is the key. Regardless of language, the intent is often clear? :chin:

BTW, I have seen 26 saves in one game turn. I thought nothing of it but, my opponent (well trusted and respected) voluntarily gave an explanation of the reason why. It was never an issue. :)

cheers

RR
08-08-2009, 10:55 PM,
To me it doesn't matter, if my opponent wants to save the game 50 times so be it. Hell if he wants to cheat and beat me just tell me upfront so I know its not my play its him cheating to win. People I play who I think may play FUNNY I only play one game against. For me its only a game, for fun no more or no less.

Chuck
08-09-2009, 01:57 AM,
Hello All
I haven’t been on in awhile because of a few incidents which have happened during game play, and decided to stop playing. What was happening was the opponent was finding units which could never have been found. Over and over again units which never moved or fired were being found. Now granted you may stumble across a unit by accident but what was happening was just to unbelievable. It got so bad that I actually stopped moving anything and let the opponent do his thing and sure enough he kept finding everything hidden. It was obvious that he was playing his turn over and over again until he got the results he wanted. I am a firm believer in a 1 download and 1 turn play. I have had the pleasure of playing with good opponents like Zap and TJD which gave you a fare game. At the moment it doesn’t seem to be a way to stop a player from playing the same turn over and over again, all you would have to do is download, play, delete, download, play, delete, over and over until you get the results you want. I am sure Matrix could come up with some script which would automatically be attached to the PBEM zip (some sort of counter) and inform the receiver just how many times the zip was has actually been downloaded. But anyway, I just wanted to express my opinion about this type of player.

Best

Troll
08-09-2009, 03:06 AM,
The dreaded save display! I save constantly when I play but I don't cheat.

I've lost a couple of turns over the last 10 years to power cuts or my wife turning off the wrong socket. It's a real pain to have to go through an hours turn from the start again (and because I don't cheat I try and get the same combat results which is an added pain which also involves a lot of saving).

If somebody is cheating it should be pretty obvious. I hate the saves display that makes people get paranoid about cheating. I'm sure very few people cheat in this game. The ones that do can easily find a way around the no. of saves in any case.

Cheers, Chris
08-09-2009, 03:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2009, 03:13 AM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
Troll Wrote:Hello All
I haven’t been on in awhile because of a few incidents which have happened during game play, and decided to stop playing.

Well I am glad you came back to post this.

Quote:What was happening was the opponent was finding units which could never have been found.

You do understand that this statement is nonsensical correct?

Any combat unit with LOS to any hidden unit has a chance to
spot that unit at the begining of its turn. You know this right?

Quote:Over and over again units which never moved or fired were being found.

Again that is entirely possible within the game engine.

Quote:Now granted you may stumble across a unit by accident but what was happening was just to unbelievable.

Did you bring this up to the moderators of this ladder?

Quote:It got so bad that I actually stopped moving anything and let the opponent do his thing and sure enough he kept finding everything hidden.

Again you don't have to move or fire to be spotted.

Quote:It was obvious that he was playing his turn over and over again until he got the results he wanted.

The only thing from your post that is obvious is that you do not understand how the spotting rules work.

Quote:I am a firm believer in a 1 download and 1 turn play.

As do 99.9% of the members of this ladder believe.

Quote:I have had the pleasure of playing with good opponents like Zap and TJD which gave you a fare game.

And now to the point that raises my ire with you sir. You have played only 4 people. By default youy have just publically accused the other two of cheating. I have played Bioman on many occassion and know him to not be a cheat. As for R. Zimmerman I have never heard anyone speak ill of him.

It is a very dicey accusation you make in public. Also against club rules I believe.

Quote:But anyway, I just wanted to express my opinion about this type of player.

Thank you for this ill informed post. Please brush up on the spotting rules before your next post.

Quote:Troll

Indeed!

Thanx!

Hawk
08-09-2009, 04:08 AM,
Just as an aside, for those of you concerned with power outages, I recommend the purchase of a UPS. They're pretty cheap, $50-$70 bucks or so for a small one that will give you battery backup for about ten minutes (even less for lesser name brands—APC is one of the leaders). Surge suppression is built in. Details here if you don't know what it is:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...u=A75-3030
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email