• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Artillery question
08-06-2009, 02:53 AM,
RE: Artillery question
OK Hawk, I do not recall correctly, then.
The only thing I found in my old Talonsoft EFII Gold online manual was that indirect fire by the map
a) drifts
b) attack at reduced firepower

Anybody recall or know what is right?

AF
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2009, 10:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-06-2009, 12:55 PM by 1925frank.)
RE: Artillery question
I've looked at the Matrix manual. Drift is "especially likely" if the hex is out of the line of sight of all friendly units. This suggests drift is possible even when you have a line of sight, but unlikely. I've never noticed a drift when I have a line of sight.

There's an "Indirect Fire Density" modifier. This apparently is where the attack values are lowered for indirect fire. As I understand it (and I'm not sure I do), if an artillery unit has an attack value of 12 on a given hex, if it shoots directly at one unit, its direct attack value is 12 regardless of the size of the target unit. But if it shoots indirectly at the hex, if the target unit is 6 SP, the attack value is 12, but if the target unit is 4 SP, the attack value is 8, and if the target unit is 2 SP, the attack value is only 4. This is true regardless of whether there is only one or whether there are multiple units in the hex. For indirect fire, the SP value of the target unit will affect the attack value. Again, I'm not sure I understand the explanation in the manual, so perhaps someone could explain it to me. This is the way I currently understand it.
Quote this message in a reply