• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HtH Etiquette
08-04-2009, 08:55 AM,
RE: HtH Etiquette
Foul. Wrote:
James Ward Wrote:I you think your opponent is going to look for fixed units then take them out of T mode dig them in.

I understand your idea and it would work after turn 1, the issue here is when the player who moves first in the first move uses this 'tactic', if this is the case the second moving player does not have a chance to react.

This is true but air recon is not always successful so if your opponent is going to use 'gamey' tactics at least you can try to fight back!:)
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2009, 09:18 AM,
Many of the titles now have default OR that include Limited Air Recon and do not include Indirect Fire And Air Strikes By The Map. Correct use of these two OR in the earlier titles will prevent FIXED units from being targeted in most scenarios.

There is a consensus from previous threads on this matter here at the blitz, that targeting FIXED units is gamey play and not really cheating. That distinction made, it is condemned by most as the worst type of gamey play, something akin to bully tactics where the other can not properly defend oneself.

Each must decide on their own how to respond. The most likely result is a member who repeats the tactic often will end up in another club or playing the AI in a closet. The community is small enough and well knit.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-04-2009, 09:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2009, 09:46 AM by HMCS Rosthern.)
I have never understood why scenario designers put fixed units in travel mode. (Maybe someone can explain the rationale.)
The first thing I do is deploy them and start digging, and it does not cost movement points to un-deploy them (except for a few artillery exceptions that take a whole turn to go into movement mode).
08-04-2009, 10:08 AM,
HMCS Rosthern,

I thought I covered this petty well in my post #9 in this thread. However, here is the best explaination from the France 40 design notes file/

France 40 design notes By David Guégan Wrote:Why start with so many units FIXED on the map instead of arriving as reinforcements?

This one is simply a matter of design logistics. The game editors make it a lot easier to work with units that are on the map rather than manage them in a reinforcements list. Furthermore, there are still a large number of units arriving on the map edge as the game progresses but having this many on the map at the start definitely helped during the testing phase to adjust the rate of arrival of the German units crossing into Allied territory.
Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-04-2009, 11:58 AM,
I am not vengeful enough to reveal the name of the dastardly offender though he knows well enough who he is. Further, I harbor no acrimony and would even play him again if he wants. The most honorable veteran, Escher :bow:, preached that if the game allows it, so be it...so I learned a lesson, and am over it.

Marquo :)
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:HMCS Rosthern,

I thought I covered this petty well in my post #9 in this thread. However, here is the best explaination from the France 40 design notes file/

France 40 design notes By David Guégan Wrote:Why start with so many units FIXED on the map instead of arriving as reinforcements?

This one is simply a matter of design logistics. The game editors make it a lot easier to work with units that are on the map rather than manage them in a reinforcements list. Furthermore, there are still a large number of units arriving on the map edge as the game progresses but having this many on the map at the start definitely helped during the testing phase to adjust the rate of arrival of the German units crossing into Allied territory.
Dog Soldier

My question was not why they were placed in the hex and fixed, as I can appreciate this scenario design technique, but rather why in the hex in travel mode. The designer is making a trade-off in design of the scenario. These units are not really in that hex until the exact date and time, and they might appear there in travel mode especially if on a road. But in the meantime, the designer might want to make some effort to protect them to make this trade-off as realistic. After all, for example, it is possible for someone playing the scenario blind to do air recce on the hex and discover them. On the other side, perhaps leaving then in travel mode avoids slowing down the column if there is some heavy artillery that needs one turn to limber. And a house rule to avoid gamey play also helps.

As usual, writing this response has made me think about this a little more.
08-04-2009, 05:44 PM,
The fixed units are in travel mode to help the AI move them in a non HTH game. A human player (given the chance) can always deploy them.
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM,
I don't recall ever being on the receiving end of such a stunt but can say without hesitation that my immediate response would be to surrender the game and move on to some one more sporting. My game time is so limited, and so precious to me, that there is no way I wold waste my time playing someone who clearly has a win at all costs mentality. Don't get me wrong, winning is important to me, no one likes to lose, but I would much rather lose a good battle, then win at any cost, particularly if that cost is my honor. If you need to win the game to be happy with the outcome I think you've missed the whole purpose of the hobby.

The opinions expressed are my own, and not the policy of the Club, but you know how human nature can be ;)
08-04-2009, 11:15 PM,
Steel God, you couldnt have exressed my opinion more succinctly. Winning is good but not if you lose your honor. I have always felt that losing is ALMOST as fun as winning. It is the game play that is of utmost importance.
08-06-2009, 07:55 AM,
"The fixed units are in travel mode to help the AI move them in a non HTH game. A human player (given the chance) can always deploy them. "

Where did you find this documented? IMHO it has nothing to do with the AI, rather to simulate the element of surprise for the first few turns of an offensive - or the placement of reinforcements.

Marquo :)