• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HtH Etiquette
08-02-2009, 09:02 AM,
RE: HtH Etiquette
My first pbem game many eons ago was Kharkov. I was the Soviet. I was playing an experienced player. Being a novice, I thought that touching any of the fixed units in T mode was dubious ethically in terms of the game, so I left them that way. Well...the next file from my M$$#@r F%^(%$G opponent started with a long prologue praising the efforts of the glorious German luftwaffe which had found an exposed park of unsuspecting Soviet tanks and left most of them a burning junk heap. Fiery

Reminds me of the game I played as the Brits @ Quatre Bras/Ligne and my opponent sent a cavalry brigade out looking to get Wellington who was alone riding back from His Grace's meeting with Count von Blucher. How very unsporting, and like your example, total BS. Jonny
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2009, 12:29 PM,
Marquo Wrote:"My first pbem game many eons ago was Kharkov. I was the Soviet. I was playing an experienced player. Being a novice, I thought that touching any of the fixed units in T mode was dubious ethically in terms of the game, so I left them that way. Well...the next file from my M$$#@r F%^(%$G opponent started with a long prologue praising the efforts of the glorious German luftwaffe which had found an exposed park of unsuspecting Soviet tanks and left most of them a burning junk heap. Fiery

Marquo :)

A good reason not to use the "Indirect artillery air strikes by map" optional rule...
08-03-2009, 01:17 PM,
So, who is the guy we should all avoid playing Marquo? :whis:
08-03-2009, 01:22 PM,
Dirk Gross Wrote:
Marquo Wrote:"My first pbem game many eons ago was Kharkov. I was the Soviet. I was playing an experienced player. Being a novice, I thought that touching any of the fixed units in T mode was dubious ethically in terms of the game, so I left them that way. Well...the next file from my M$$#@r F%^(%$G opponent started with a long prologue praising the efforts of the glorious German luftwaffe which had found an exposed park of unsuspecting Soviet tanks and left most of them a burning junk heap. Fiery

Marquo :)

A good reason not to use the "Indirect artillery air strikes by map" optional rule...

After several bad experiences myself I no longer use the rule either. Its the easiest solution to the issue. Unfortunately it doesn't prevent carpet bombers from wrecking your 'T' mode guys. You would need to disable Recon Spotting as well to prevent that.
08-03-2009, 01:28 PM,
Carpet bombing keeps you honest! J
08-04-2009, 06:21 AM,
Krak Wrote:You would need to disable Recon Spotting as well to prevent that.

The Recon spotting OR refers only to ground recon units, not air recon. If a ground recon unit penetrates deep enough to spot your FIXED units it will still spot them the next turn even without the Recon Spotting OR.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-04-2009, 07:11 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:
Krak Wrote:You would need to disable Recon Spotting as well to prevent that.

The Recon spotting OR refers only to ground recon units, not air recon. If a ground recon unit penetrates deep enough to spot your FIXED units it will still spot them the next turn even without the Recon Spotting OR.

Dog Soldier

Yes true Brian. It appears there is no way to avoid abuse by Carpet Bombers, except for a house rule I guess.
08-04-2009, 08:25 AM,
I you think your opponent is going to look for fixed units then take them out of T mode dig them in.
08-04-2009, 08:34 AM,
James Ward Wrote:I you think your opponent is going to look for fixed units then take them out of T mode dig them in.

I understand your idea and it would work after turn 1, the issue here is when the player who moves first in the first move uses this 'tactic', if this is the case the second moving player does not have a chance to react.
08-04-2009, 08:39 AM,
Going after fixed units that you normally as a military commander would not be aware of, since they usually constitute units waiting to come on, is in any case whatsoever cheating methinks.