• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stealth Scenario Changes?
07-31-2009, 10:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2009, 10:29 PM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
RE: Stealth Scenario Changes?
mwest Wrote:Having both original and "modified" scenarios in the Blitz database will skew game results.

You can throw out any skewed game results argument as many of the scenarios listed for EFII, WF and RS go all the way back to the
Talonsoft days of the game. So the a scenario such as "Still Full of Fight" which has been reported 258 times with the first game being reported July 31, 1999!!! Eek

So this scenario has been played under a few versions of TS West front with a host of variable rule combinations and it has been played under a few versions of MS WF with a host of variable rule combinations. There is no chance that the majority of the matches were played under the same combinations of version, options, player skill levels, etc. So of course you have skewed reults from match to match.

In fact nothing skews a sceanrios results more than the 2 opponents facing each other.

If I played Mr. RR in this scenario 100 times as the Americans we would be close to a 50/50 split on wins and losses. If I played Tiger 88 in this same scenario as the Americans 100 times the split would be more along the lines of 90/10 favoring Tigerr 88.

So if one looked at it with Mr RR and I one could conlude that the scenario is balanced, but if we looked at it with Tiger 88 and I one could conclude that the scenario heavily favors the Germans.

Let the amount of times a scenario has been played and the ratings of the players be your guide on a scenario. IMHO you can't skew fun.

Quote:Also; as a scenario designer and player, I have issues with "modified" scenarios, that go through no play testing and no quality assurance checks - but are still uploaded into the Blitz database.

Take it easy designer of 2 scenarios.

The majority of modified and created sceanrios do not go through the H2H process.

The heavy hitters of scenario design: Don Fox, Chema Rando, Jorge Grillo, Curt Cabbage, Huib Versloot (spelling) and Jason Petho did not run their scenarios though the H2H process.

Quote:Looks to me like we have two "standards" when it comes to scenario design.

Standard #1: Take your original scenario design through the H2H process with play testing.

Standard #2: "Modify" an existing scenario without the original scenario designer approval with no play testing.

You could not be more mistaken as I pointed out above.

Quote:Both are acceptable methods of scenario design at the Blitz? :chin:

Yes, although you base standard #1 on an incorrect premise.

Quote:I'm really at a loss here gents. :conf:

We are in total agreement here.

Thanx!

Hawk
Quote this message in a reply