• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Open Team Battle - Discussion
09-14-2009, 05:34 AM,
RE: Open Team Battle - Discussion
Turn 22a was ready Sunday afternoon, so I took that instead. :)

Only three turns left!
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2009, 04:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2009, 04:00 AM by Stonefire.)
Hey - someone from the german team - pick up the next turn ( I am not allowed to) so we can get this agony over.:(
09-18-2009, 05:35 AM,
Stonefire Wrote:Hey - someone from the german team - pick up the next turn ( I am not allowed to) so we can get this agony over.:(
I take it this post was before GUNSLNGR got it? Looks like you got it after him. I'll get the next one.
09-18-2009, 06:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-18-2009, 06:03 AM by Stonefire.)
DoubleDeuce Wrote:
Stonefire Wrote:Hey - someone from the german team - pick up the next turn ( I am not allowed to) so we can get this agony over.:(
I take it this post was before GUNSLNGR got it? Looks like you got it after him. I'll get the next one.

You are so right :-)
09-19-2009, 03:58 PM,
A turn a day? I expected a much faster pace, something like it would end in a week.

So, what is the evaluation of this form of playing?
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
09-19-2009, 07:29 PM,
Some of my thoughts:

+ Team play. If I mess up I mess it up for the other guys as well and not just myself, so it feels more important to do it right. It's also very interesting to try to match different playing styles or get them to agree with the general plan.

+ Communication. Since you don't follow every turn you rely on your team mates to guide you through the action in a good way. I liked both reading and writing the AAR's each turn.

- Slow moving (!). Sometimes one turn per week, and since we were 3-4 in my team competing on the few German turns that came I lost contact with the game. Would have expected the opposite actually.
09-19-2009, 11:19 PM,
Vesku Wrote:A turn a day? I expected a much faster pace, something like it would end in a week.

So, what is the evaluation of this form of playing?

I also think this type of game will normally run much faster. But in this battle the German team were all very busy with little time. So it was sometimes taking them days to get to the turn, while it was only taking the Brits hours.

Next time, I'd be more careful to balance the availibilty on each team. It doesn't matter if a few players don't have much time, but both teams should have some high and some low availibility.

The Brits also had too many heavy hitter (high ELO) players. This made the battle a little uneven. Next time, I would also try to mix up the experience/ability.

Despite those issues it was a great battle and a lot of fun. Very much a team game. I'd definately do it again.
09-20-2009, 01:32 AM,
2ndLt_Fjun Wrote:+ Team play. If I mess up I mess it up for the other guys as well and not just myself, so it feels more important to do it right. It's also very interesting to try to match different playing styles or get them to agree with the general plan.

Hey, I resemble that remark! Seriously though, it was real interesting to observe how top-quality players made different decisions than me.

2ndLt_Fjun Wrote:+ Communication. Since you don't follow every turn you rely on your team mates to guide you through the action in a good way. I liked both reading and writing the AAR's each turn.

This is actually where this format fills a big need. The best part of most geek activities (eg, fantasy football) is talking about the game rather than the actual game. These forums fill that need to some extent, but with a team game in which everyone shares a common goal, you can fill that urge to kibbitz about the nitty gritty tactical stuff with people who share that urge and also are invested in the outcome.

2ndLt_Fjun Wrote:- Slow moving (!). Sometimes one turn per week, and since we were 3-4 in my team competing on the few German turns that came I lost contact with the game. Would have expected the opposite actually.

I think maybe this was compounded because the British caught the Germans wrong-footed from early on. They spent most of the game without a clear tactical solution. A solo player would just give up, pick a hole, and rhino into it come what may. On a team you don't want to be the guy who made the wrong call, hence, there may have been some reluctance to pick up a turn and put oneself in that spot.

Would that be a fair assessment, German team?
09-20-2009, 08:24 AM,
seabolt Wrote:Would that be a fair assessment, German team?

I believe it would be, Seabolt.

And in all fairness, and not to make excuses, we were a bit outmatched. That combined with the inherent problems of only seeing the game every 2 to 5 turns definately made it a challenge.

One of the advantages that I thought I would see, would be to learn a bit from more experienced players - in that I'd be able to see 5 guys rather than one. The problem was that because I only saw a few of the turns, I could never really pick out anything particular to educate myself. It became, after about turn 8, like walking into a dark room full of bear traps - I'd know I stepped in one - but how it got there, I never knew.

I also think, for any future attempts, that a previously decided on penalty for delaying turns could be imposed. Although, in this case - taking points away from us wouldn't really do much.

GUNSLNGR

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push."

09-20-2009, 09:10 AM,
I downloaded the end game report:

....... Brit.....Ger
Men..100.....391
ART...............2
APC......3......40
AFV......2........8

VHex...18........2

Pts..4825....607

Good game! cheers Sorry it was so unbalanced.

If anyone wants to see any previous British turns, our password was 'notepad'

I'd like a volunteer from the British and the German team to throw together an AAR?

The AAR can just be the team communication over the battle. You could go through an edit it a little (remove repeats, and clean it up) if you want.