• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Dien Bien Phu
07-22-2009, 06:03 AM,
Dien Bien Phu
It's been out for over a month now and is getting some heavy play here on the ladder. Anyone care to comment on the game thus far?

Likes? Dislikes? Favorite Scenario? Overall impression of the game?
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2009, 02:47 AM,
RE: Dien Bien Phu
I have only played two scenarios so far. In that very limited sample set, my cursory impressions of DBP are:

1.) The scenarios tend to have lots of men with relatively weak weapons, so the importance of assaults seems to be much higher.

2.) The terrain is quite hilly and provides a lot of protection. This tends to emphasize the above impression even further (the greater terrain protection lessens the impact of the weapons and thereby increases the need for assaults). The hilly terrain also greatly slows down movement, plays a big role in attacks (the elevation modifiers), and also increases the stealth/ambush/surprise factor.

3.) "Human Wave" charges have been big components of the scenarios so far.

4.) No vehicles in either scenario I've played. (This feels downright bizarre after playing the AIW mod for a while. LOL)

5.) The scenarios so far also seem to be very well balanced and it seems to be a much greater challenge to achieve a major victory (or major loss) than in other titles.

Bill
07-28-2009, 03:18 AM,
A review has been posted over at the Wargamer:

http://www.wargamer.com/article/2741/dien-bien-phu
07-28-2009, 03:43 AM,
rahamy Wrote:A review has been posted over at the Wargamer:

http://www.wargamer.com/article/2741/dien-bien-phu

Favorable, but I disagree with his sentiment that the troop qualities were randomized.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4