• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rules regarding exiting units
07-21-2009, 12:47 AM,
RE: Rules regarding exiting units
Ain't that the truth Chuck.

My only real complaint in those large scenario's, but I understand that from a designers standpoint it's a real bitch removing transports when creating a scenario.

Maybe that button for highlighting an unloaded unit and exiting it should be considered for the next update; at least as an option.

In those scenario's with exit hexes, some players like to keep all unloaded units as a strategic option, but I would certainly like to see exiting as an option unless a scenario is developed wherein destroying transports is the only way an opponent can win!?

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2009, 08:05 AM,
Hello everyone:

Well...it's situational.

I'm not sure if I ever heard of a "standard" ROE but in general my PBEM partners and I try to remove anyone off the map we can that isn't helping and can only hurt by being destroyed/captured/taken out. That usually means trucks, but it can include everything from LCPs and LCTs to a disrupted fatigued one strength panzergrenadier who just took a shot from the edge hex before he left.

That LAST instance is the only one where I think an ROE is in order. If it's a combat unit, and you fight it, you should not expend any offensive APs the turn you exit. I.E., no gun followed by run.

In all other cases, they are your units, and denying the enemy VPs by removing them makes good sense to me.

As always, if it is important to you in your scenario, than it should be brought up prior to play as one of the ROEs and agreed on by all.

Scud...I wouldn't worry about the ineveitable question mark spots those trucks are generating on the map. After all, unless your leading an offensive with them, or they are your first line of defense, your not misplaying them and the "spots" are going to happen. You may gather some intel in this fashion, but since your spotting with non combat units, you take the chance of being destroyed, and to me that makes it morally defendable.

Regards,

Dan

ps: I've exited several hundred LSTs, barges, rafts, three pieces of flotsam and nine jetsam, two dead fisherman, LCTs and LCPs in our !normandy44 H2H test....and I'm planning on exiting several hundred more. Just fewer units for me to plow through in a monster scenario using the "next available unit" hot key. In doing this I remove a possible asset with their massed AA fire covering the beaches....but it's quicker!

pps: In our 4 way team fight "Showdown at Borisov" I've been running a few hundred trucks around every turn which I'd prefer to exit....but we didn't discuss it going in....so they will stay and run around in circles if they have too...lol...
(would NOT want to deny Guderian and Smedley those VPs!)
(or....???)

ppps: Lastly, as a general rule, ANYONE who lets trucks get taken out is NOT thinking ahead. They have plenty of mobility....and should NOT get overtaken by enemy armor and or infantry. If they do, you were playing them too close and probably too cute.cheers
07-23-2009, 08:09 AM,
With the possible exception of the T34-85mm!

The T34 can run down antelope, wildebeasts, and cheetah...
07-23-2009, 08:16 AM,
Thanks, Dan. Speaking of "Showdown at Borisov", my brother and I have been playing it for well over a year—maybe two ( I think we're around turn 25 or so). We agreed early on to exit trucks, simply because they take up too much space and time. As the scenario progresses the replays alone seem to take hours. I have to suspect the more stuff on the board, the more taxing it is for your computer.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
07-26-2009, 10:14 PM,
Scud:

Absolutely correct...large unit loads can and will bog down your PC and if the scenario is huge it can darn near take your rig down for the count!
Borisov is definitely one of those. I've never seen so many Russians...

Jason:

You mentioned a general ROE earlier in this thread that NO units should be exited unless via a legitimate exit hex. I.E., first side units that are exiting to earn VPs in the game. If that is established, then it appears I've been doing it wrong, since as explained I do like to exit non combative or "useless" units. From your post I can see the sense of it, if you consider that we are denying the enemy a chance at those VPs.

Should we all play it that way at all times, or is this an informal ROE that can be optional and agreed on at game start?

Regards,

Dan
07-27-2009, 12:22 AM,
Dan Caviness Wrote:Should we all play it that way at all times, or is this an informal ROE that can be optional and agreed on at game start?

Forcing players to not exit units from the map is not a good move. Common sense ROE's seem to be in order?

Scenario/map function and comments can tell players they cannot exit units from the map. It will avoid playing by supposed ROE's that do not exist.
Communicating with your opponents seems a key to success and better understanding?

RR
07-27-2009, 01:43 AM,
Yep, agreed. One opponent and I have already agreed to exit trucks. I think it's fair as long as both player's agree. I haven't played too many scenarios where it matters a whole lot, except ones with smaller maps where you can lob blind artillery shots into the enemy's rear in hopes of finding a truck farm.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
07-27-2009, 02:10 AM,
Dan Caviness Wrote:Should we all play it that way at all times, or is this an informal ROE that can be optional and agreed on at game start?

They are informal and optional.

That being said they have worked for me and any opponent I have played.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
07-27-2009, 08:22 AM,
agreed...for the most part.
cargo carriers should be able to split...
...regarding combat units...I hate it when the scen is so designed that one will be fighting at the edge of the map...and the edge of the map...
...as far as I am concerned, any unit can exit...
for those scens that are so poorly designed, one of mine comes to mind...that all one has to do is exit and win...then there are problems..two obvious ones 1) the designer was a moron and 2) why are we playing anyway?...
cheers
Town Drunk
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM,
Mr. Guberman Wrote:then there are problems..two obvious ones 1) the designer was a moron and 2) why are we playing anyway?...

LOL! Priceless. :thumbs_up:

cheers

RR