• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What SB title to Start With
07-16-2009, 06:53 AM,
What SB title to Start With
I am a veteran of PzC and ACW games but have yet to try anything in the Squad Battle series. Is there any SB title that stands out over the others or should a novice just pick the one with the most appealing subject matter?
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2009, 07:13 AM,
RE: What SB title to Start With
I'd chose the subject matter that interests you, which is why I bought Vietnam initially. Ultimately, I think you'll be happiest with this criteria as your initial choice. HPS typically puts out updates to the older games to bring them up to the current game engine, so you're covered in that respect.

The one thing I will say is that the older titles often have scenario balance issues, but with so many post-release scenarios out there, even that isn't quite as big of an issue. The newer games, from SAW forward were playtested pretty thoroughly for balance and playability, but you can't go wrong with most any choice.

What game would you chose under these notions?
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-16-2009, 07:21 AM,
I Agree with Alan go with what title interest you the most
07-16-2009, 09:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-16-2009, 09:45 AM by Doctor.)
There so many good choices, Winter War, Advance of the Reich and Korea come to mind as good ones.
07-16-2009, 10:40 AM,
Doctor Wrote:There so many good choices, Winter War, Advance of the Reich and Korea come to mind as good ones.

I haven't played much AoTR, but it's got some fantastic after release scenarios that you can find on the new and revamped Task Force Echo 4 (how's that for self-promotion...).

I really like Winter War. I knew nothing about it prior to getting involved with the playtesting, and now I'm hooked on that little part of WWII history. Of those three, I'd go with that one first, but that's my bias. You can't go wrong with any of those titles.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-16-2009, 11:45 AM,
Soviet-Afghan-why? Because you can get Arab-Israeli War and The Long War Mods and have three different games for the price of one.:smoke:
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM,
SAW is very good if you like more modern combat.
07-16-2009, 10:56 PM,
[/quote]
I really like Winter War. I knew nothing about it prior to getting involved with the playtesting, and now I'm hooked on that little part of WWII history.
[/quote]

That one sounds interesting. I have visited Finland and spent time along the Russian border. The terrain is beautiful and rugged and the Finns fought gallantly.

I appreciate everybody's responses to my question. They all look like great titles.
07-17-2009, 04:02 AM,
Buy 'em all. Rich Hamilton will cut you a deal. Dollars well spent!