• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Total War in Europe series user impressions
07-06-2009, 01:54 PM,
Total War in Europe series user impressions
I am fairly interested in division/regimental level games since you can play a "monster" scenario in a lot less time. I was wondering if the users here could give me an objective opinion on the series since I am debating a purchase for TFB and WSF. I read the wargamer review a while ago which seems favorable but I like to read more reviews for balance sake and I came across one that was particularly scathing here: http://military.discovery.com/randr/revi...krieg.html

So, what do you guys think about the series?
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2009, 08:06 AM,
RE: Total War in Europe series user impressions
I like it a lot. And I like where the series is heading. It will get more 'chrome' I would imagine as the series matures. It has a lot of potential. WSF's existing scenario's look very nice. Plus there is much more room for doing mods now than in TFB (a huge map to play with). An East Front title will see this series really take off I think.

Besides if you like division level operations there is nothing else out there any better. If there is let me know about it, I have tried CWIE, TOAW, RGW and AGW. IMO they are all lacking in some way, none come close to TWiE.
07-07-2009, 08:24 AM,
I've been watching the new release of this series. I'm looking for a good divisional wargaming engine. I'm now playing TOAW's divisional scenarios in anticipation of their upcoming TOAW IV or major patch to III. Some are fun to play; others are not so good. I have TOAW Western Front 44-45 up on my other 'puter running through the PO's turn resolution as I type this.

I don't have TFB so I have no idea what its like. I see the south front is out and getting good reviews. I'm on the line for buying a new game that has a grander scale than the PzC series. I just don't know which one to jump on yet.
07-07-2009, 08:54 AM,
FWIW I found that TOAW modelled battalion and regiment scale fairly well. But at Division scale and beyond the system breaks down. I find PzC does battalion scale much better and TWiE does Division scale much better. But at this stage there are no really long campaigns in TWiE. But I am working on that :)
07-07-2009, 09:11 AM,
I know it's not turn-based, but take a look at this.

link: videos

link: Developer Diary

It seems destined to be one of the best games ever made, imo. Have followed this series since the first title and played all versions.
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
07-07-2009, 10:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2009, 10:15 AM by Bacillus98.)
I have HoI 2 but haven't played it recently too much. It's great if you want to change conventional history, but I found land combat to be quite abstracted. The real time factor can be overwhelming for new players, especially in a game online against people that don't like to pause or run the game in a slow speed. I wonder if HoI 3's combat system is more refined. If that happens, World in Flames can have an actual competitor.
07-07-2009, 10:34 AM,
Well HoI3 is not out yet so it's hard to tell for sure, but there are so many improvements from the previous title it would be foolish to try to list them all here. One improvement in the combat system is a new factor called frontage, also there is a limit to how many divisions can be engaged in combat depending on the frontage width of the provinces involved. This means no more super stacks and reserves will now play a vital role. Logistics is vastly improved. Well I'll just take the easy route and say that every aspect of the game is improved upon. You'll have to read through the dev diaries to get the full story.
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
07-07-2009, 08:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2009, 08:48 PM by Xaver.)
Well, i dont have the game but you ask for divisional level games... see this http://www.matrixgames.com/products/372/...r1941-1945 you can be interested if you want production Big Grin
07-07-2009, 10:17 PM,
Projected release date end '09/beginning 2010.
I have TFB, and may fire it up again after the next update to see if improvements adequately address some simplicity issues I had with the original version. (I wonder if there's an air assault on Crete scenario in WSF.)
07-07-2009, 10:52 PM,
The War in the East game screenshots are from the Beta version the game will be hex based, if interested read the forum which has loads of good questions and answers on what the end product will be.
But from what I've read it will be released late 2010.