• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A (not so little) hidden gem
07-03-2009, 07:15 AM,
A (not so little) hidden gem
Chaps,

As a bit of an incentive to buy WSF - read on ........

I took delivery of my copy of TWIE WSF a few weeks back, and have just found time this week to do a bit of exploring .........and there is a real gem mixed in with the playable Scenarios......towit ....Scenario #299 which contains about 50% of the entire map of the Russian front Eek - (Great work Wig) - covering from Warsaw in the North running across to just west of Moscow - down to about 100 miles west of Stalingrad in the south, and then further down into the Caucusus (including "Mt Erebus" as a point location), including such notable locations as Kiev, Smolensk, Vyazma, Podol'sk, Kharkov, Minsk, Tula, Bryansk, Orel, Mogilev, Orsha, Kursk, Izyum, Sal'sk, Odessa, Rostov, Voronezh, the Pripyet Marshes - The entire Black Sea (inc Sevastopol), and a strange place called Dnipropetrovsk (425,76) - and stranger still - Bykhaw (412,14) and Horki (421,9).

Its just a complete work of art!! - and real mouthwatering anticipation will be engendered upon your beholding.

(serious - but not life threateningly so :chin: )....... Debating issue :stir: ..... is Mogilev (415,11) the wrong side of the river? ...check it out !!

Nontheless - Shades of great things to come, me thinks (and hopes) .....

All this and the WSF scenarios to boot ... I've played the Sicily, Balkans and Torch scenarios against the AI, and they all stand up really well.

On a separate note - I've also downloaded and played (only against the AI) Sergio's combined Norway/Denmark modded scenario for TFB ....its a really excellent combination of the two, which adds real flavour and strategic oversight to the Scandinavian campaign as depicted in this series, and I would heartily recommend it to all interested parties.

It would'nt be me if I did'nt have a grump about something though - so here it is - A good rules PDF booklet would really help with the ongoing success of this series please :hissy: (hint)

Buy it and enjoy

cheers

Chris
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2009, 03:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2009, 03:17 PM by Bacillus98.)
RE: A (not so little) hidden gem
I was thinking of getting into TWIE. Division level combat would allow me to complete a campaign that otherwise would take years with PzC.
07-03-2009, 10:44 PM,
The map is my work, not Wigs, and it took a long, long time to make. Glad you like it, well what you can see of it anyway.
07-04-2009, 04:31 AM,
I am unfamiliar with the system. Would this map allow one to make, say, a full bagration offensive (or larger) scenario...or is more needed?

Fury
07-04-2009, 07:07 AM,
Sgt Fury Wrote:I am unfamiliar with the system. Would this map allow one to make, say, a full bagration offensive (or larger) scenario...or is more needed?

Fury

The Russian Front is intended for another title and the OOB does not contain Russian Units and unlike PzC you can't add new units to the OOB.

There will be a Russian Front title at some point in the future.

Glenn
Send this user an email
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM,
Hi Dave/all

As per my previous post the WSF game comes complete with a full map as a "blank" scenario showing most of Central/Southern Russia as detailed earlier.

If you also have TFB then (using the Norway map)- you can also create a "Blank map" scenario which shows the entire Finnish front - including Russia down to about 120 miles south of Leningrad (Novgorod), and across to Tikhvin and beyond and includes most of the Baltic States.

So between the two games the only bit of Russia that you cant take a peek at, is the bit encompassing Moscow down to Stalingrad.
(But you cannot combine the two into a monster map - shame)

As Glenn says, there is not a facility to create a Russian Front game in either TFB or WSF as the Russian nation/units are not present in the OOB and you cant create your own a la PzC.
You can create other scenarios but only using those nations already present in the OOB - the units can be modded

My apologies also to Blackie for previously miss-representing his map work as Wigs!! (2MB's cheers )

TTFN

Chris