• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

radio man in N44 alt scenario question
07-03-2009, 11:31 AM,
RE: radio man in N44 alt scenario question
I would think the idea here is try get a disruption so the landing force has something to assault as VM points out. The few points lost for a boat, is worth the price of admission to get into a BUNKER or PILLBOX hex and off the deadly beach hex.

In all I think it would be a lucky shot and not expect much. To think of a (relatively) small craft (LCT's were ~ 110 - 120 feet long and a little over 30 fett wide) bobbing in the breakers off a beach with several thousand pounds of thrust leaping off the deck, no guidance.... hitting anything smaller than the land mass in front of them would be considered good.

Anyone know how big the waves were at Omaha on DDay? Even tiny two footers would make for a very wobbly gun platform, I would imagine.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2009, 07:02 AM,
Hey VM, in your scenario, does moving the naval ships close to shore cause a greater chance of disruption on german units in bunkers/pillboxes? I just watched a documentary that stated naval ships saved the day at Omaha, as the naval bombardment heavily damaged pillboxes/bunkers.
07-06-2009, 10:15 AM,
If it does or does not do this then it is purely based on the rules in which PzC operates. Off the top of my head, no I don't think it plays any factor in increased disruptions.
Send this user an email
07-07-2009, 04:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2009, 04:20 AM by SuperIke.)
I am currently playing Bridgehead Battle from Volcano and I can concur with you Bacillus that getting off Omaha is VERY difficult.

But I did target the hex with the radio man with all the naval firepower I could and and I managed to first disrupt both units in this hex, so that when I finally assaulted at 8h00 on June 6, they retreated and I got off the beach into this hex. It's now noon and I haven't been successful anywhere else on Omaha, so I am now trying to funnel everybody out of Omaha through this tiny exit I've got (this is excruciatingly slow since units can move only one hex at a time in ZOC). However, I believe I am close to punch a hole on the hex SW of the 500 pts objective. This one is only a bunker in clear ground, so this is much easier than assaulting a full-fledged pillbox in difficult ground. After a while, you also get enough engineers so that at least one is not disrupted and you can destroy these damn AT ditches. The other thing at Omaha is that on the western portion of the beach there are quite a few escarpments where the armor cannot assault across, so you're limited to using foot infantry.

The other beaches are much easier and already at Gold and Juno I am 3 or 4 km inside land. The only other one giving me some problems is Sword.

On a side note, I wonder: is there any possibility that the Rangers really capture Pointe-du-Hoc ? It seems impossible odds. They get a Supply Source of 2 just so that they don't fall into isolated status but they are low on ammo nonetheless, so they are quite powerless. I'm trying to help them with a couple of naval barrages and air strikes, but I think they are doomed to fail.
07-07-2009, 05:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2009, 05:31 AM by Volcano Man.)
Czar Wrote:On a side note, I wonder: is there any possibility that the Rangers really capture Pointe-du-Hoc ? It seems impossible odds. They get a Supply Source of 2 just so that they don't fall into isolated status but they are low on ammo nonetheless, so they are quite powerless. I'm trying to help them with a couple of naval barrages and air strikes, but I think they are doomed to fail.

Yes, it is quite simple really: just assault the hex on the first turn. All the German units at Pointe du Hoc are disrupted at start, so the assault will (or should) always work. Start a new scenario and try it out. I am afraid that if you did not assault with the Rangers on turn 1, then chances are the Germans at Pointe du Hoc have recovered and it will likely be impossible to take it after that.
Send this user an email
07-09-2009, 04:01 PM,
And after they take Pointe du Hoc, they should just sit on the bunker hex and wait to be relieved..the supply source is just to prevent them from being isolated, not as a source for an inland incursion.

I usually use all my tanks/guns as direct fire platforms, rather then assaulting, as the infantry can easily take out a disrupted defender in a bunker.

The terrain doesnt matter when you assault with infantry. Only the odds do. Or hexside feature. And if your using an _alt, then your odds are based on your Hard Attack vrs theirs which is probably the assault value.
07-11-2009, 02:02 AM,
Liquid_Sky Wrote:The terrain doesnt matter when you assault with infantry. Only the odds do. Or hexside feature. And if your using an _alt, then your odds are based on your Hard Attack vrs theirs which is probably the assault value.

That's incredible, even if I have been playing PzC for a while now, I never realized that terrain modifiers did not apply to infantry-only assaults. I did not believe you at first, but I checked the manual and you are absolutely right. It never caught my attention before Eek

Thanks Liquid Sky for the info. I learn something new everyday on these forums !
07-11-2009, 02:18 AM,
In the assault calculation both sides are considered to be the defenders hex so no modifier for the hex's terrain is used, i played PzC for ages before i found that out. ;)