• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

NO GERMANS! - Soviet AAR/DAR section
06-11-2009, 10:02 PM,
RE: NO GERMANS! - Soviet AAR/DAR section
willow, there are several techniques for spotting fire when you don't actually see an icon or the unit.

Good leaders or snipers is one way but we dont' have snipers.

The other is to listen and watch closely during the turn focusing on the unit under fire to try and discern which direction its coming from. Once you kind of figure that out if you replay and move the cursor over the suspected locations you will hear the mg firing and even though you can't see it you can figure out where it is by the noise.

The other is to make smoke but we don't have much.

Try moving in bounds and hiding your men at the end of the bound, covered with mgs of your own. If it is a single mg then moving your men en mass and hiding them at the end of the bound will advance them and give the mg less targets to shoot at. Keep the company commander back to rally any paniced troops.

Try suppress fire with your mg's on suspected enemy mg locations.
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2009, 01:08 AM,
Combat Wombat, After taking the screenshot and editing with a paint program, save it as a .PNG file. Upload it to Photobucket, which is free to join. once in photobucket and with the images uploaded, just copy the IMG Code from there into your post here.
06-12-2009, 03:47 AM,
I've been saving mine as .jpegs - are .png files better? I will try that format next time and check.
06-12-2009, 03:50 AM,
Herroberst, thanks VERY much for the tips. I didn't think the sounds would be accurate enough to try to actually locate them. I hope to get a turn back from Cargol soon, and I'll give it a try.cheers
06-12-2009, 10:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2009, 10:37 AM by Combat Wombat.)
huzzah .. !
[img][Image: Contactlarge.png][/img]
06-12-2009, 10:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2009, 10:56 AM by Combat Wombat.)
close up of troops moving up just prior to heavy fire ...
[img][Image: Contact.png][/img]
06-12-2009, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2009, 01:21 PM by willow.)
Looking good Wombat! What turn are you on? I see you've finally uncovered one of the fascist squads! Uraaah!
06-12-2009, 04:37 PM,
Cargol and I managed to do some rapid fire turns today. We're at Turn 13 now. Some screenies of my progress below

On the left, I have managed to get a rifle platoon within a grenade's throw of the first flag. So far this platoon has not taken any fire at all. Hopefully I'll be able to get the factory just beyond the flag, and use the upper floor to get a view into the centre of town;

[Image: NorthMap-Turn13-Leftflank.png]

On my left, I'm taking advantage of the gully running north-south with another rifle platoon - I'm sending one squad ahead with move-to-contact in case the Germans have a reception committee!

[Image: NorthMap-Turn13-Rightflank.png]

In the centre, I've moved my T-70s up slowly. Taking the tip from herroberst, I think I've narrowed down the possible location(s) of one of the German MGs to a factory, and spent the last minute area-firing with all 5 T-34s and 2 50mm mortars. Of course I didn't expect to do much damage to the building, but at least hope to make the going easier for my SMG company. Unfortunately, several squads still took fire as they tried to advance to the outskirts of the town. Therefore either the area fire had no effect, the MG(s) were not in the building, or there are more elsewhere (or some combination thereof)!

[Image: NorthMap-Turn13-Centre-1.png]

Finally, I've decided the time has come to start moving my T-34s up. I figure the most direct route up the road right into the town and the flags is best. I can use buildings to duck behind, and they will be in a good position to support my main assault force (the SMG company). Its definitely a gamble, as there could be guns key-holed between all those buildings. I still think its better odds though than trying to move in over the open steppe. Time will tell whether I am correct!

[Image: NorthMap-Turn13-T-34s.png]
06-12-2009, 11:22 PM,
Interesting, it might be that the flanks are lightly defended and the center strong. I'm not far enough along in my game to tell yet but I will suggest TCP/IP this weekend to advance the game.

If either of you descern that the flanks are weakly held we can pour reinforcements through there to envelope the city and I will try to pound down the center obliterating any infantry strongpoints with my T-34s.

In reading about the Tatsinskya Raid the Germans intially were pretty weak in defense at the airfield but strong reinforcements came later and surrounded the Russian raid force. That should mean we should make good progress in the early games but face panzers from 16th PzDiv later on.
06-13-2009, 03:45 AM,
Good to see your internet issues have been resolved for the moment herroberst. I hope to get some turns going with Cargol again this afternoon, and then I'll see if my flanks are as lightly defended as hoped.