• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New HPS titles?
06-08-2009, 08:20 AM,
RE: New HPS titles?
rahamy Wrote:Any way, my point is there's a lot of enjoyment to be had there as well...

I agree with this statement, Rich. I think you are not alone is missing this forum's existence so I wanted to point it out so more members will begin to use it.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
06-08-2009, 08:26 AM,
Xaver Wrote:Well, i am a little surprised when somebody says that PzC are undermoded (i refer to the scen side) when ALL HPS series i know (PzC,NAP,MC,EAW) dont have a map editor, i only know ONE full PzC mod called Jarama37 based on an old Kursk version (the mod cant be updated...) and in second "position" Volcanoman add-ons for El Alamein (40 battles between italians and british), Korea85 (chinese intervention) and superb scens for Middleast (Libano82 and more) and Fulda/NG with 74 scens.

Are many custom scens but with HPS tools you can only create battles in the existing maps.

Well, i dont play ALL PzC/MC scens but we are humans and only play something that like us (every games has 3-4 superb scens) Big Grin

PD: ooo in the oob side... NAP, REN, EAW dont have oob you need use a text editor and comparing with PzC/MC editors is so... so :hissy:

You may have missed this conversation is other threads here at the blitz and elsewhere on the internet, but HPS does not supply a full set of editors for every aspect of the game title since then people could create new game titles all on their own. It would be business suicide to allow you to be able to create a map of say the Leningrad area, create your own OOB, and scenarios with a full suite of editors.

In such a case, why would anyone ever buy another HPS title in that series, if they could make their own games?

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
06-08-2009, 12:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM by Panzer VI.)
You get FULL EDITORS in the Campaign Series, I dont know why John Tiller killed the map editor.All he would to do is modify the East Front II or West Front Map editor and code it to work on HPS titles.

What HPS could do:
How about releasing a map editor when the final title in a series is released?

They are doing a similar way with the Total War In Europe series, they are going to release a Giant map covering everything...which is pretty much like releasing a map editor because you can now create any battle in europe.

However, I have to say the OOB editors in HPS titles are amazing.You can create your own unit down to weapons, values, attachments, man/vehicles down to a single man, oh my gosh, everything!
06-08-2009, 01:44 PM,
Panzer VI Wrote:I dont know why John Tiller killed the map editor.All he would to do is modify the East Front II or West Front Map editor and code it to work on HPS titles.

He didn't kill it - he just chose to keep it for internal use only so we could make the 20 or so games in the Panzer Campaign and Modern Campaigns - come to think of it I am sure a similar editor would do for any of Tillers HPS Games and how many do you think that is?

Quote:What HPS could do:
How about releasing a map editor when the final title in a series is released?

Could - but we're not done and if we released it then it woul dbe pretty much killing the goose that laid the golden egg when you think about it - right?

Quote:They are doing a similar way with the Total War In Europe series, they are going to release a Giant map covering everything...which is pretty much like releasing a map editor because you can now create any battle in europe.

There is no Map editor or OOB Editor in TWE - and ya, that is by design too.

Quote:However, I have to say the OOB editors in HPS titles are amazing.You can create your own unit down to weapons, values, attachments, man/vehicles down to a single man, oh my gosh, everything!

Exactly - you can make any units you like and any scenarios for the battle \ game you purchase.

Glenn
Send this user an email
06-08-2009, 07:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2009, 07:39 PM by Xaver.)
I understand HPS point of view but one thing is understand it and another very diferent is asume it.

You say that if people have a map editor for PzC (same for other series) they can do their own titles and you cant sell they... FALSE, HPS titles has more than 3-4 scens with no AI, in a moder game you can see in the best case the main campaign and few training maps (see the WWIII mod for DF85) but only for PBEM and you cant play medium battles.

Another question is... HPS is going to create a serie called "BSFWW" Between Second and First World War??? i am very interesting in the Spanish civil war or the soviet-polish war with the PzC engine but if PzC dont have new titles i think that serie isnt impossible, why we cant create they??? because there isnt a map editor (ooo for REN the custom maps add new and interesting things for the game and creator do the maps... well, submaps).

I only say that modders helps to sell more PzC titles, with no Volcanoman+Jison mods the older titles are like an ugly woman, is a woman but you only "play" with her as last option Big Grin

PD: ooo i like spanish civil war but dont like SB engine and i only use my Euros in things that i like :rolleyes:
06-09-2009, 03:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2009, 03:27 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
> You say that if people have a map editor for PzC (same for other series) they can do their own titles and you cant sell they... FALSE,

No - I am saying there is no public editor and this allows us to create new games with new public excitement which in turns generate income that supports the future development of the series. This is FACT. John Tiller makes a living in part by creating games so the strategy we pursue involves maximizing teh number of games sold.

If there was a way for players to make their own maps for any title - say you could build your own Alamein using Tobruk, - then some players might just try the player created Alamain and not buy the HPS copy. This would not be a good thing. Sales are not strong here guys - they are marginal at best but still enough to make it worth while making and supporting the series.

Anything that would reduce the number of copies of game sold is not a good thing.

Anyway - it is pointless to argue the point further as the Map editor is not a tool available to the public. There is no plans to make it available and there is no end in sight for the series, so even speculating what could happen at some future point is not something John Tiller and partners have even discussed.

Glenn
Send this user an email
06-09-2009, 03:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2009, 03:35 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
Glenn Saunders Wrote:> You say that if people have a map editor for PzC (same for other series) they can do their own titles and you cant sell they... FALSE,

No - I am saying there is no public editor and this allows us to create new games with new public excitement which in turns generate income that supports the future development of the series. This is FACT. John Tiller makes a living in part by creating games so the strategy we pursue involves maximizing teh number of games sold.

If there was a way for players to make their own maps for any title - say you could build your own Alamein using Tobruk, - then some players might just try the player created Alamain and not buy the HPS copy. This would not be a good thing. Sales are not strong here guys - they are marginal at best but still enough to make it worth while making and supporting the series.

Anything that would reduce the number of copies of game sold is not a good thing.

Anyway - it is pointless to argue the point further as the Map editor is not a tool available to the public. There is no plans to make it available and there is no end in sight for the series, so even speculating what could happen at some future point is not something John Tiller and partners have even discussed.

Glenn

There has been discussion recently in the SB world about this very subject, and, like here, it usually brings out strong feelings in both directions. One guy over on GameSquad's forums actually demanded that Tiller get on the boards and explain himself on this very subject.

Strong emotions, indeed.

I'm working on a post that brings up the subject of complete games modified from existing SB games and how this may or may not impact the HPS commercial work. I'd invite you all to comment there as well once I get it smoothed out, since it has applications here as well.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-09-2009, 03:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2009, 03:51 AM by Xaver.)
I think that something that i say is missing, i say if people can create maps and cover future HPS PzC releases dont neccesary means that new titles sell less, for example, a guy made his Austerlitz and peninsular war mods but if HPS sell some of these titles i buy it, when i think in the editor in my mind come titles that HPS NEVER put in the road like Spanish civil war, URSS VS Poland in 1920 or WW1 scens using PzC engine (or pacific battles, allways that somebody ask about it HPS answer that the name of the serie is PzC).

Can port maps from other games is an interesting think, i dont see you covering the Vichy France VS allies in Siria (is in the last TWE but i refer to non high level games) but with modern map and El-Alamein units is posible, if HPS do another Salerno (covering more battles) i dont see why the game sold less, if i dont have bad memory for SB are two mods covering modern conflicts... where is the problem??? if HPS sell high quality games i dont understand why is so scared for "amateur" mods.

Dont take it as an acid critic, is an opinion.

PD: if modders are so dangerous dont permit people do mods but i think that in many series HPS need to say "thanks" to modders.

EDIT: sorry i forget something, for me the main impact in HPS sales isnt the "map" question, is the "download" question, if i can buy HPS titles as in matrix games but with NWS prices (32.99 USD=23.7167 EUR, rest 1 euro por CD and CD box) i can try other HPS series that arent in my list of favorites, i know the problem with the serial but hey, we are in 2009 not in 1999 ;-)
06-09-2009, 03:52 AM,
Don't say never...we do have a habit of covering topics other companies wont! Spanish Civil War, Winter War, Renaissance, War of 1812, etc. etc.
06-09-2009, 04:00 AM,
Well, you know Rahamy what i can say, i refer to PzC engine when i put the examples, better i say rarely not never Big Grin