• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New HPS titles?
06-05-2009, 11:56 PM,
RE: New HPS titles?
Xaver Wrote:Well, SB has the same replay values as PzC or NAP games, a tactical game could be as "repetitive" as an operational game in hexagonal, think that you play with hex at a different scale, repetitive situations dont depend of level depend of situation.

Replay was a poor word choice, but the rest of my statement remains valid I believe. When you're fighting with battalions over many kilometers there's only so many battle's of he bulge you can make into games. For SqB when you fight with squads over meters the possibilities are endless. PzC series will run it's course and end long before SqB ever does. That's the reality.
06-06-2009, 12:12 AM,
steel god Wrote:
Al Wrote:For the release of three new games there sure are a lot of gloomy comments. :conf:

Well this is the PzC/MC area of play, so the negative comments are not too surprising given there was no new release for those series. As for TWE, I will probably get that release myself. I loved the first installment and found myself disappointed when it was not followed up with, but now that it has, how could I possibly complain.

I'd would have like to see a new PzC/MC title(s) Big Grin too, but it wasn't "our" turn this time. I kind of suspected a new TWIE title, but the SB: DBP was a surprise.
06-06-2009, 12:15 AM,
The reality is that made an OOB, a map and scens for a PzC/NAP/MC/EAW is harder that for a SB title.

About TWE... well, i read all the time that many people play it but i never find nobody searching for a game...

Sorry but i feel as i wait 1 month for nothing but the problem is that with HPS is allways the same, is the second time that wait some interesting for me and dont find nothing (REN is the only exception).
06-06-2009, 12:17 AM,
steel god Wrote:Replay was a poor word choice, but the rest of my statement remains valid I believe. When you're fighting with battalions over many kilometers there's only so many battle's of he bulge you can make into games. For SqB when you fight with squads over meters the possibilities are endless. PzC series will run it's course and end long before SqB ever does. That's the reality.

Yech and you can get bored quicker fighting over some nameless meters of the battlefieldBig Grin There is so much for PzC and MC to do games about:)
06-06-2009, 12:52 AM,
Spooky Wrote:
steel god Wrote:Replay was a poor word choice, but the rest of my statement remains valid I believe. When you're fighting with battalions over many kilometers there's only so many battle's of he bulge you can make into games. For SqB when you fight with squads over meters the possibilities are endless. PzC series will run it's course and end long before SqB ever does. That's the reality.

Yech and you can get bored quicker fighting over some nameless meters of the battlefieldBig Grin There is so much for PzC and MC to do games about:)

Depends on your perspective, and there are no 'nameless' meters in SB games. Each scenario is based on the actual combat, so you've got towns, hills, rivers, etc. Nothing nameless at all.

Most SB fans enjoy the tactical level of combat for a variety of reasons. For me, I can visualize moving my platoon into an attack position, setting fields of fire and the like much easier than I can see things at a much higher organizational level. The feel for the combat is much more personal when you're talking about losing half your squad to MG fire, or your leader. Just my perspective.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-06-2009, 02:14 AM,
Spooky Wrote:

I think the fact that tactical games such as Steel Panthers remain popular almost 2 decades after release says that there is a very big market for tactical games. I am not a SqB player, so please don't think I'm trying to talk down PzC/MC games. I poured a fair share of my sweat into making that series come to the market and to the club, I just think that long term, a series like PzC is much more limited by viable subject matter than a game like SqB. You are welcome to disagree and only time will tell who was right.
06-06-2009, 02:26 AM,
Well, i dont understand why games over tactical situations are inferior to tactical games... i play PzC/MC/NAP/EAW+TOAW+REN and play Close combat series+SP(modern versions and original series)+CM and Total War and more games and i asume a diferent role in every scale... oooo and better dont talk about shooters, because shooters in multiplayer are less repetitive than tactical games.

I give you a little example of operational originality. In a PBEM game as german join 3 Pz divisions and hide they in a wood+depresion of terrain, wait the soviet forces (dont reinforce the break and leave the front in a continuous retreat) and in 3 turns of flank atacks destroy 1 infatry division+3 tank brigades and only lose a few tanks and a hundreds of PzGrenadier (stoped the main soviet attack and force soviets to retreat troops from ALL the front to prevent a dangerous sitation because dont have NOTHING to cover the hole) in a tactical context is the same that you can do with platoons no divisions Big Grin
06-06-2009, 03:16 AM,
Am I only one missing this but TWIE now contains an OOB editor. Eek

I am wondering if it can be carried across to TFB, maybe there is an update in the offing.

I think TWIE needs a few improvements to make it really good and number one on the list was an OOB editior.
06-06-2009, 05:17 AM,
Xaver Wrote:The reality is that made an OOB, a map and scens for a PzC/NAP/MC/EAW is harder that for a SB title.

Not sure if I'm understanding, but if you're saying that doing an SB game is easier than doing an PzC game, I would say that hardly. At best they have the same difficulty.

Let's take DBP as an example, research involved a war spanning nearly 10 years , an immense geographical area, countless potential combat situations , each potentially represented by a single scenario, and forces composed of a myriad of different formations for each side.

I'll give you a quick example, have you tried to find a typical OOB for a German Panzer Division in 1943?

Now try to find the squad composition of a CEFEO Dinassaut Commando unit.
06-06-2009, 07:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2009, 07:33 AM by Kuriltai.)
Quote:Never played any of the squad battles but might get this one ( was this where the Devils Brigade ex SS soliders fought for the French Foriegn Legon?) I read a book years back about these lads the whole Brigade were SS with their own officers.

The book you are refering to is "Devils Guard" by George Elford. IMHO,a good read,but a work of fiction and worth a fortune on e-bay for some reason.
"Hell in a very small place" and "The Last Valley" are both good reads on this battle.