• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Glenn: re WSF
06-09-2009, 07:34 AM,
Glenn: re WSF
Glenn
I just saw a scenario list for WSF. It did not contain a Grand Campaign scenario for the entire North African War. It this correct? If so why not?
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2009, 07:44 AM,
RE: Glenn: re WSF
TFB didn't have a grand CG either - the issue is Games Scale - it is 2 day turns and there is lots of time when not much happens.

In fact we included a full scn covering the period of the Italian invasion of Greece because we felt people would want it. We also included each Phase as a separate Scn - Italian initial attack, Greek Counter attack, and finally the German Invasion.

Glenn
Send this user an email
06-09-2009, 08:11 AM,
FWIW the kind of people I play TWiE with want full campaigns. We realize there are long times of inactivity but that is the nature of the beast. I am at least hopeful then that I may be able to create a full blown campaign scenario for North Africa. But I will need tools that TFB did not have. Like replacements and an ability to change the readiness recovery rate.

While on the subject can we expect a campaign game for the Eastern Front when that game comes out? Because honestly Glenn this is what most people *I* talk to want out of a Division level game. We already have a great system for battles or operations in PzC. The guys who play games at a higher level (Divisonal) like to play out entire campaigns i.e North Afrcia 40-43 or Russia 41-45.

While I accept this may not be the view of the majority I hope that HPS will at least provide us loonies the tools to create our own monster game of the East or even the whole ETO :eek1:
06-09-2009, 08:42 AM,
Krak - I don't know how to respond to this other than to say that WSF follows much of the same format as we did with TFB - there were changes to the engine as explained in the changes.txt file and these will be part of TFB after an update.

TFB FWIW does contain replacements - they are used in the Norway Scn but I am not sure what you mean by "Readiness and recovery rates" but it sounds like the engine can't do that.

As for an Eastern Front version of the game, I can only say we do not comment of games which may be in the works - now obviously at some point there will be an Eastern Front Game - not sure whether it will be all in one game Barbarossa to Berlin or in more than one title.

That said, for now, after you have WSF, if you feel there is a feature you need to create a North Africa 40-43 Scn that isn't in the game - and we can figure out a way that this could be built, then by all means drop me a line and if we see what we can do to build it. We certainly will look favourably on adding something to the engine to assist with longer Campiagns - especially if it is a feature we can use moving forward into the Eastern Front at some future point in time.

You have to figure that periods of known inactivity could be built into a new feature, the problem as I see it is being able to dymamically do these on the fly where player decide to Skip X number of turns - and then how do we handle the activity that would happen during these time warps.

Anyway - the forum is not teh place to design this as it is often really easy to come up with something that looks easy but isn't when it comes to the programming.

...but rest assure - John Tiller is committed to the Game and teh game engine and if there is something that wil help it than we are interested.

Glenn
Glenn
Send this user an email
06-09-2009, 09:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2009, 09:35 AM by Krak.)
Glenn
Thanks for your replies. The future for the series sounds very promising. I am a big fan of this system and I am very much heartened by your positive responce. I can't really comment yet on features that may or may not be required for long campaigns as I have yet to receive my copy of WSF.

But I intend to create a full blown CFNA, either 40 to 43 or 41 to 43.

I will be in touch with you via email at some stage I am sure. Please keep me in mind for playtest or development assistance with this system. I think my devotion to it and knowledge of it may be of some help if required.

On the subject of Readiness Recovery, I really meant Unit Effectiveness Recovery, from memory the recovery rate is around 2% (in TFB at least). This may be too low in some situations. I would like to see it be a parameter that can be changed or even different for individual nationalities i.e Germans recovering faster than Italians.

cheers

Michael
06-09-2009, 10:01 AM,
Krak Wrote:On the subject of Readiness Recovery, I really meant Unit Effectiveness Recovery, from memory the recovery rate is around 2% (in TFB at least). This may be too low in some situations. I would like to see it be a parameter that can be changed or even different for individual nationalities i.e Germans recovering faster than Italians.

michael:

rate of recovery is dependent upon unit state - detached or otherwise and is 0, 1 and 2 percent. Pretty small really - but I suppose we could have a parameter for a nationwhich reduced the recovery for them - but it would affect all units of the nation in that case.

Anyway - check out the Nation Data Dialog - I am sure there is something easy tha could address this.

And we can certainly discuss the greater issues thta no doubt will emerge when you look at long periods.

Glenn
Send this user an email
06-09-2009, 10:33 AM,
Ideas just at this stage but I think units may need to go in to a 'refit mode' (ala force marching) with appropriate conditions (i.e distance from supply source, not adjacent to enemy, no movement points, etc). If the conditions are met the unit goes in to 'refit mode' and gets an effectiveness recovery bonus of maybe 5 times the default rate or something. This kind of thing will be a must for longer games as an average of just 1% per turn is too low. For example a unit will take 50 turns = 100 days = 3 months just to recover 50%.

Anyway more later after I get the game in my hands. Thanks for listening.
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM,
If I may jump in this interesting conversation. I think it would be good to be able to upgrade units during a long scenario.
NA would be a good theater to test that.
Send this user an email