• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Aachen west wall anyone want to try it out.
06-03-2009, 12:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM by Dan Caviness.)
RE: Aachen west wall anyone want to try it out.
Hello to all.

jb: My apologies to you for having to weather any of the above on my behalf.

As you grow old you learn to look for the good in everyone that makes them redeemable, worthy of respect, and humanity.
We love to find those kindred souls.
I'll continue to look for some of you, and I'm glad to have already found them in people like jb.

Point for Point, starting with Alfon's post:

No wonder. The map is not representing the real thing. In that sense the scn is not historical. However a map is something that everybody can do right with some effort.
This should be classified as semi historical scenario. When the map would be right it would be far more interesting.

edited. Sorry for the harsh words earlier.

Alfons:

I thought you and I were square these days?

Here's the deal. The map is constructed (Scale by the way) from two main sources. The first is a beautiful 2008 Phil Schwartzberg period map covering the entire area of the encirclement of Aachen. During the exact time of October 7 -20, 1944.
It's scale and my map's are 1:1 congruity. 30 km east west by 40 km north south.
I can supply you with references on request but since he owns Meridian Mapping and creates military maps for WWII History Magazine he may not really care how you view his work.

The second map source is from Osprey Publishing, "The Siegfried Line 1944-45, Battles on the German Frontier." I find Osprey a very valuable resource and their work in general is very detailed.
Steve Noon draws a lot of their maps.
I'll be sure to let Steve know your thoughts.

I then decided to take a tip from you, and downloaded the present day Google Earth which I attempted to overlay as you do. I eventually printed and scaled it to help with the overall topography.

Nice tip, I appreciate it.

Roadrunner:

Hey man how you doing?
(and thanks)

The deal on the scenario description is I choose [HIS] as per Jason's latest scenario naming methodology but I am OK with renaming it [HISB] if that makes a difference to anyone. The Divisions are definitely in a higher state of readiness as mentioned in the opening dialog, the scenario description, and the read me file.

Appreciate your getting involved man, and thanks for the cover.

Mwest:

Hey man how you doing?
Good to hear from you also my friend.

Here's what I had in mind with the reinforcements coming on all map left (West) and coming in pretty hot and heavy the first 10 turns . I'm trying to simulate the collapse of the German forces in that area of the Netherlands and directly in front of the so called "West Wall" defensive line along the German border.
Actually...thought...you guys might like it...lol...
The Germans that are west of the Scharnhorst and Schill lines come on directly in front of a wave of Allies that are pursuing them towards the wall.

They are a few stragglers in comparison to the Axis forces on map and waiting for the Allied advance. Only added to show the "flow" of the battle as it washes in from the West. They come on the first turn only. The Allies don't come on Turn 1 because I have Axis forces directly in their path when they do enter on Turn 2 and I wanted to give the Axis player (2nd Side) a chance to set his OP fire before the Allied player comes in.

Then when the Allies reach that wall, they find out why they didn't want to.

That is where the Germans make their stand, on the borders of the Fatherland.

It's where you and I would do it.
It's where they did it.
Yes, casualties were severe.
Historically.

My thanks to everyone for their constructive comments and criticism.

Once again thanks jb, valor, mwest, zap, roadrunner, et al.

Dan

The forums are a place to join together and work towards excellence while enjoying what we do. It's what work should be guys, and one of the best things in this old man's life. We share this passion, and that makes it greater than the sum of it's parts.

I'll fight alongside any of you, on the battlefield. That's where my friends and I meet.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Aachen west wall anyone want to try it out. - by Dan Caviness - 06-03-2009, 12:08 PM