• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Aachen west wall anyone want to try it out.
06-01-2009, 06:00 AM,
Aachen west wall anyone want to try it out.
New large scenario seems nobody playing it yet anyone wanting to try it give me a buzz.
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2009, 07:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2009, 06:00 AM by Huib Versloot.)
RE: Aachen west wall anyone want to try it out.
No wonder. The map is not representing the real thing. In that sense the scn is not historical. However a map is something that everybody can do right with some effort.
This should be classified as semi historical scenario. When the map would be right it would be far more interesting.

edited. Sorry for the harsh words earlier.

/H
06-02-2009, 12:19 AM,
John:

I took a quick look at "Aachen West Wall" since I'm intrigued with large unit scenarios. It looks best for team play... but I noted some puzzling design elements:

* Allied player moves first, but there are no on board Allied units at start of the game or scheduled reinforcements for Turn #1? :conf:

* Majority of German Turn #1 reinforcements come on the extreme left map edge; every couple of hexes, without regard to utilizing existing roadways or other terrain features? Is this to simulate confusion and/or arriving retreated units from a previous battle? :conf:

* Many of the Allied Turn #2 reinforcements come on either adjacent, in the line of sight, or in some cases, right on top Eek of on board German units? :conf:

I believe this scenario design needs some work before play testing begins? :chin:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-02-2009, 03:25 AM,
Alfons de Palfons Wrote:No wonder. The map is terrible. It is easy to call your scn historical, but there is a bit more to it to really get it that way. However a map is something that everybody can do right with some effort.
This can never pass as historical scenario. No need to even play it to see that.

Insightful, constructive and helpful comments. :rolleyes:

Hawk
06-02-2009, 04:11 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:
Alfons de Palfons Wrote:No wonder. The map is terrible. It is easy to call your scn historical, but there is a bit more to it to really get it that way. However a map is something that everybody can do right with some effort.
This can never pass as historical scenario. No need to even play it to see that.

Insightful, constructive and helpful comments. :rolleyes:

Hawk

I had three other words in mind! LOL! :smoke:
But, I will not risk getting reported by the "silent few" that have an "in" for me!
Your words dripped enough! Big Grin:chin:

cheerscheerscheers

RR
06-02-2009, 05:23 AM,
LOL Guys its a game dont forget i only want someone to try it out.Alfons suggest to the designer a better map or where he might have gone wrong.As for the units entering where etc maybe intended that way no idea.All im asking for is somebody to play it with me with me as the Axis.Faults we can find from that ok.Im already playing a large scenario by the designer of this one and yes there are gliches in the one im playing but minor ones which can be sorted but we have to test them to get it right.Im no historian but Aachen was a brutal battle i belief as it was the first German town to FALL might i add to the Allied push.Nobody's perfect when it comes to designing scenarios so please give a little leeway to those who try and give us more.PS as im part of the H2H section no nasty remarks about desingers just hints and help for the designer please.
06-02-2009, 06:01 AM,
Von Luck Wrote:LOL Guys its a game dont forget i only want someone to try it out.

No one is disputing that John.

Quote:Alfons suggest to the designer a better map or where he might have gone wrong.

With all due respect John go back and read the comment. There was no suggestions of how to make the map better. He wrote 6 sentences all of which are an insult to the designer.

Quote:All im asking for is somebody to play it with me with me as the Axis.

Yes that's all you where doing but Alfons did not respond to that request now did he.

Quote:Faults we can find from that ok.Im already playing a large scenario by the designer of this one and yes there are gliches in the one im playing but minor ones which can be sorted but we have to test them to get it right.

Of course scenarios have faults. No issue with that. Those items should be discussed in PM's or e-mails by the participants play testing. Not on the forum with an open bashing of the map without regard on how to fix it or be helpful.

Quote:Im no historian but Aachen was a brutal battle i belief as it was the first German town to FALL might i add to the Allied push.Nobody's perfect when it comes to designing scenarios so please give a little leeway to those who try and give us more.

This comment should really be directed at Alphons as he gave zero leeway to the designer of this scenario.

Quote:PS as im part of the H2H section no nasty remarks about desingers just hints and help for the designer please.

Seriously John go back and read Alphon's comment. It is nothing but nasty remarks about this scenario's map without one suggestion on how to make it better.

Thanx!

Hawk
06-02-2009, 06:44 AM,
I hope that if the scenario will be discussed again everyone will focus on facts and how to help (isn't the h... all that about? :smoke: ) and will avoid nasty remarks.

Simple saying that something smells bad doesn't help until you show where :conf:

Best regards

Slawek
"We do not beg for Freedom, we fight for it!"

http://swalencz.w.interia.pl
06-02-2009, 07:36 AM,
Von Luck Wrote:LOL Guys its a game dont forget i only want someone to try it out.Alfons suggest to the designer a better map or where he might have gone wrong.As for the units entering where etc maybe intended that way no idea.All im asking for is somebody to play it with me with me as the Axis.Faults we can find from that ok.Im already playing a large scenario by the designer of this one and yes there are gliches in the one im playing but minor ones which can be sorted but we have to test them to get it right.Im no historian but Aachen was a brutal battle i belief as it was the first German town to FALL might i add to the Allied push.Nobody's perfect when it comes to designing scenarios so please give a little leeway to those who try and give us more.PS as im part of the H2H section no nasty remarks about desingers just hints and help for the designer please.

John, I beg to differ with a couple of your remarks. This is what Huib wrote:

Alfons de Palfons Wrote:
"No wonder. The map is terrible. It is easy to call your scn historical, but there is a bit more to it to really get it that way. However a map is something that everybody can do right with some effort.
This can never pass as historical scenario. No need to even play it to see that."

The implications are clear. I see it as another in a line of non productive and condescending comments from this member. :chin:

If Dan would write in his description, "historical based" would that have been better? Or, are we going to be crushed under the avalanche of designers who want "realism" down to the birds on the tree branches being from the local region?
I hope more PBEM'ers are doing it for fun, and skills challenge, more than seeing if a town is precisely positioned, with all the roads having the proper width and length, under trees that are locally grown?

Huib's comments are not fire in a fireworks factory but, they do have more heat than light? :smoke:
I think it is more the "tone thing" that adds "bash" to what he writes?

Hopefully someone will step up to test this scenario? And, they are not scared away by the comments.
I'd take up your offer but, I have to decline. I already think that games longer than 30 turns are way too big. Eek

cheers

RR
06-02-2009, 08:11 AM,
John:

I trust you were not upset over my earlier comments on this scenario.

The opening moves / reinforcement schedule seemed unusual? :conf:

I would step up and offer to play against you... but I have one H2H scenario getting ready to come out of play testing... and another one being prep.

Suggest that you try to recruit a few players so they can team together. It is a huge scenario for just one person per side to manage. :chin:

cheers
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email