• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How is the game?
05-25-2009, 11:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-25-2009, 11:16 AM by Panzer VI.)
RE: How is the game?
I found this video on war in the renaissance although its a little late though(1643) but it seems warfare is still the same:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqB92RmzU...re=related

Looks like the video gives you a taste in everything in the renaissance(Cannons, pikeman, early musketman, calvary, square formations)

I'm so excited, too bad I have to wait. Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2009, 06:33 PM,
That year would be just past the end of the era depicted in the title when missile weapons like longbows or crossbows are no longer used and a pattern of pike and musket had taken over.
05-26-2009, 02:51 PM,
Dammit, this NWS sell is just too tempting.Just bought Campaign 1776 an hour ago. Big Grin
05-29-2009, 08:54 AM,
It just got here!

I just started a Flodden campaign game, on mission 1 fighting for the hill.I decided to meet the enmy on the open field to shake things up, but unfortunately it isnt going well.I tryed to setup a main line on the river in front of my cannons, but they soon rout so I have to move back into position.I try a flanking manuever on the right, but I ran into so calvary and having some trouble with that.Overall this is a great game and it was a great buy.
05-29-2009, 10:22 AM,
Foul. Wrote:That year would be just past the end of the era depicted in the title when missile weapons like longbows or crossbows are no longer used and a pattern of pike and musket had taken over.

Ah, so this is just before the English Parliament and the New Model Army.

That then make sense with the cavalry as explained in this thread. Cavalry before the New Model Army were noblemen and gentry lead by amateurs of high birth. They tended to be very ill disciplined and would chase after routing enemy units after a single charge. In game turns this could mean they go beyond command control and run off the board edge! This type of cavalry was a one shot weapon. Not a shock weapon at all anymore, as infantry reigned in this time period.

Sorry to hear that pike men and musketeers do not co-operate well. There were several formations where the musketeers would surround a square of pike men thus lending firepower to the formation. When the fighting got to close quarters, or if Paul's cavalry charges, then the musketeers would move inside the pike square presenting the enemy with a prickly situation.
It appears this type of tactic along with the pike surrounded by shot and supported by horns formations are not possible. Such a formation would not move well, as it was defensive in nature. But it did have significant firepower for the time. The troops would all would be inside the hex, unless hexes are really small.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM,
I Just checked, I was able to get 2 different units in the same hex with out disruption.You only get disruption if they are in different formation.All you have to do is when the calvary gets close, run your Musket(any missle unit for that matter) behind the square formation pikemen.It just worked for me in the flodden campaign, enemy tried a flank attack with a calvary unit.