• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Ladder Hopping Congrats--Barnacle Bob
05-14-2009, 03:42 AM,
Ladder Hopping Congrats--Barnacle Bob
Now, those of us in the lower ranks of the Ladder tend to move up and down depending on those around us. It's not often that the players flip-flop very at the top of the ladder, that is, until recently.

Barnacle Bob, our former Ladder and Forums Leader has recently moved into the number 2 slot on the SB ladder, squeeking past RedDevil earlier in the month.

When I started in the SB world 3 or so years ago, Bob was one of the first guys I took on in a PBEM fight. He was a great competitor as well as being a good guy to talk strategy with if you were a new guy in the SB food chain. He's also the designer on many a SB scenario, especially in the Africa at War Mod. I'm currently playing Riley on one of Bob's excellent scenarios, Paras on Patrol, a very chaotic and intense struggle. For a number of years, Bob was also one of the most prolific gamers on the SB ladder. His gaming has slowed down considerably in the last year or so, but his legacy continues, which is why I wanted to congratulate him on moving into the #2 slot. If Laza ever goes inactive, we'll have a new top dog on the ladders.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2009, 06:20 AM,
RE: Ladder Hopping Congrats--Barnacle Bob
Congrats Bob I have played against him in the past with him his gaming has slowed but.still a good opponent Glad to see some movement at the top been steady for a long while but you better get busy because im coming.
05-16-2009, 06:57 AM,
Landser34 Wrote:Congrats Bob I have played against him in the past with him his gaming has slowed but.still a good opponent Glad to see some movement at the top been steady for a long while but you better get busy because im coming.

Better watch your back, Dennis. Oz is creeping up behind you as well!

50cal
05-19-2009, 12:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM by barnacle bob.)
Thanks.

"I have played against him in the past with him his gaming has slowed but.still a good opponent Glad to see some movement at the top been steady for a long while but you better get busy because im coming."

Yeah. I know.

June 2007 I decided to go into business for myself. I'll kick back, spend time with Robert and scouting, work on AAW scenarios, maybe even a couple of mods (one of which I found out a few weeks ago someone has done...Arab-Israel), play a bunch of games and run the SB ladder.

The first few months were slow and I did the above...I almost finished a massive AAW scenario, perhaps the largest SB scenario.

Then a fellow surveyor called. He landed a job doing the layout for a 13 storey building. He lacked the experince for a job like this and asked if I would come aboard. All of my time disappeared. Then I started picking up clients from my last job (I didn't steal them. When they found out I was gone they asked for my number).

I worked outside all day and spent evenings doing research, billing, working on drawings, et cetera. At 2100 I'd start pbems and do as many as I could by 2200/2300 then hit the sack.

It did not take long for me to begin neglecting the ladder. Then stop visiting all together.

At the end of 2008 I decided this was not the reason I went into business for myself. I decided I needed to concentrate on my clients (one of which I fear I may have lost because I was not able to complete a couple of jobs in a timely matter) and weed myself of the building job (it's nearing completeion and my parther has a very good handle on it, I'm still available if he really needs help).

I forgot about this. June/July 2008 (the last year has been a blur) Gina went on bed rest. Then 31 October she went into the hospital. She was there until the middle of December. 12 December Victoria Louise was born.

And Robert has a hamster. He named it Richard.
05-19-2009, 04:15 PM,
Glad to hear from you Bob. We missed your presence. Congrats for the baby. Hope you will find more time to stick around.
05-19-2009, 10:07 PM,
Me to.
05-19-2009, 10:57 PM,
I think we all have to come to grips with balancing the home life with our pixel commander's life, especially as family situations change. I know that the addition of two children in the last two years has really changed my free time parameters greatly. I've basically had to 'force' myself to use my lunch hour to get turns out and do some stuff here to keep things moving. OK, maybe a little work time bleeds into doing stuff on the boards....

Weekends were always good to crank turns out, but not any more. I find that I hardly touch my computer on the weekends because of the time I spend with the kids and keeping the oldest, who just started walking, from smashing into things, on top of just trying to keep the house and yard from falling into disrepair.

In your case, Bob, I can't imagine running your own business, having a family and trying to keep up with things SB related. We are glad to have whatever spare time you've got, and hope to see you around as much as you can spare.
05-19-2009, 11:25 PM,
At my last job I would get into work around 0600 to get things ready for the crews. They would leave around 0715. So that gave me 45 minutes to play before I was suppose to be at work. I would play at lunch. Then spend about two hours playing in the evening, after Robert went to bed. Good times, good times. :)

Weekends use to be good for me as well. Now scouting consumes that time (I am doing my best to avoid working on weekends). No complaints. Robert loves it. He's always getting something at the Pack meeting.

Running the board requires more time/effort than I thought.