• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bridges and bridges
05-13-2009, 05:29 AM,
RE: Bridges and bridges
I guess I'm not that familiar with what you're describing. I've always thought an engineer with bridging ability would first go into Bridge Ops mode for a turn or two (or 3 or 4); then it "Has Bridge"; then if you chose to disassemble the bridge to move the engineer it again enters the "Bridge Ops" mode. Is there another mode I've never seen?

I know you can also move that engineer across its bridge by putting it in Travel mode, cross the bridge then take it out of Travel mode.

I just noticed in a game I'm playing against he AI (Bulge) some German units crossed the Our River ... but are isolated. I put the AI on fast mode so I did not notice what happened ... how they got there ... or where they crossed ... I was busy away from 'puter doing honey do's when it happened.
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2009, 05:48 AM,
Hank Wrote:I guess I'm not that familiar with what you're describing. I've always thought an engineer with bridging ability would first go into Bridge Ops mode for a turn or two (or 3 or 4); then it "Has Bridge"; then if you chose to disassemble the bridge to move the engineer it again enters the "Bridge Ops" mode. Is there another mode I've never seen?

I know you can also move that engineer across its bridge by putting it in Travel mode, cross the bridge then take it out of Travel mode.

I just noticed in a game I'm playing against he AI (Bulge) some German units crossed the Our River ... but are isolated. I put the AI on fast mode so I did not notice what happened ... how they got there ... or where they crossed ... I was busy away from 'puter doing honey do's when it happened.

I think what he is saying is that any engineer unit can move a foot unit across a river hexside. The moving unit must be in travel mode and the engineed cannot be in travel mode. They must be stacked. It takes the whole move to cross so you end up over the river in travel mode.
If you move away from the engineer or if the engineer moves away from the unit it becomes isolated until a supply route is opened. That's probably how the Germans got in the state they are in!
05-13-2009, 07:45 AM,
Hank Wrote:I just noticed in a game I'm playing against he AI (Bulge) some German units crossed the Our River ... but are isolated. I put the AI on fast mode so I did not notice what happened ... how they got there ... or where they crossed ... I was busy away from 'puter doing honey do's when it happened.

In Bulge, I think some units START in an "ON FOOT" State on teh west back of the Our River.

Also - it was a fairly recent change whereby units ferried over a River were not isolated on the other side of the river bank as long as there were next to the Eng that ferried them - this to allow a Ferried unit to hold a Bridgehead NOT Isolated, while a Bridge is built. But I am not certain if this change has been made in the newest Bulge Update.

However I would encourage everyone to always use the newest Ver of the Update from the HPS Website.

Glenn
Send this user an email
05-13-2009, 11:59 PM,
I have another question about bridging. Is the chance of completing a bridge related to the type of river being bridged? It would seem to me that bridging a stream would be much easier than bridging a full river hex side.
05-14-2009, 03:57 AM,
James,
The only difference is between hex side bridges and pontoons over full water hexes.
You should look at the manual under engineers for a full explanation of the differences. Bridging a full water hex has different requirements than bridging a stream or river hex side water obstacles.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
05-14-2009, 05:34 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:James,
The only difference is between hex side bridges and pontoons over full water hexes.
You should look at the manual under engineers for a full explanation of the differences. Bridging a full water hex has different requirements than bridging a stream or river hex side water obstacles.

Dog Soldier

I looked in the parameter data in Budapest and see a bridge value and a pontoon value. I assume the bridge value is the percentage chance of build a bridge over a hexside. Is this correct?
05-14-2009, 06:24 AM,
Correct James, the bridge value is the time required to bridge a hexside, whether river or stream. The pontoon value is the time a unit needs to spend on bridging a water hex before it then starts checking the regular bridge value to finish the bridge across the water.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
05-14-2009, 11:02 PM,
Ricky B Wrote:Correct James, the bridge value is the time required to bridge a hexside, whether river or stream. The pontoon value is the time a unit needs to spend on bridging a water hex before it then starts checking the regular bridge value to finish the bridge across the water.

Rick

Thanks.
05-15-2009, 05:17 AM,
Hmmm..I am beginning to wonder if bridges can be completed during STORM turns. I have been trying to erect a bridge for about 25 turns now, but it is in Normandy and the Great Storm has been raging for the last 15 turns. I am thinking that perhaps it doesnt make the bridge check during STORM.

Either that or my guys are loafing! When I look at the paramater data, the Axis Bridge Value is 25%. My guy only has 93 men (thanks to allied interdiction), and is company sized. That would suggest to me, if my math gerbils spun out the right number: 7%. Which I think means an expected value of 14 turns. (1/.07)
05-15-2009, 06:39 AM,
If the chance of success is 7% per turn, then after 25 turns you would be looking at a completion of the bridge 84% of the time. So you may have hit the 16% chance of failure (.93*.93*.93... for 25 times with 093 being the failure rate each turn) or maybe it can't be completed in storms. I don't think storms have an impact but maybe they do???

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]