• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Getting to know your Optional Rules
03-04-2011, 05:32 PM,
RE: Getting to know your Optional Rules
(03-04-2011, 07:24 AM)trauth116 Wrote: Wouldn't variable ending also have the possibility of ending the game earlier?

I don't think it does.

By the way, I started using this rule when i had a regular opponent and we started constantly getting 'draws' :chin: so I figure I'd give it a try as a way to help decide those a lil better... using it as a Tie breaker mechanic basically.

Overrall, the extra turns didn't seem to make a difference in a really even match. The draw tends to stay a draw in my experience. I think it speaks to the effects of a solid defense/attack plan combined with an effective execution of said plan.

Even on defense when the extra turns could hurt you - if your margin from defeat is that slim - then the attackers plan/exec was just a lil bit better anyhow (all things being equal). Even in those cases - a wiley defender with a lil luck can still manage a draw.

I've seen it become a situation for the attacker too. Wherein the margin the attacker has is so slim that a single counter attack could throw them back into a minor defeat, especially if you catch them flat footed in a post assault type of posture - in which case it would be the attacker suddenly wishing the game would end sooner.:conf:

So although I don't use it as a default in pbem matches... In cases where draws start to crop on a regular basis with a particular opponent, wherein your playstyles start to become too familliar to each other - I think this can be an interesting and fun mechanic to invoke. ;)
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Getting to know your Optional Rules - by -72- - 03-04-2011, 07:24 AM
RE: Getting to know your Optional Rules - by Wolfgang - 03-04-2011, 05:32 PM