• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PBEM scenario recommendations
04-19-2009, 01:11 AM,
PBEM scenario recommendations
I'd like to get some recommendations for good PBEM scenarios in SPMBT (and in fact SPWW2 too). Haven't been through many at all, and I bet there are plenty of good scenarios out there. It's a plus if it's balanced, but the most important criterion for me is that it should be fun to play.

Do you have any favourites? Please share..

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2009, 01:27 AM,
RE: PBEM scenario recommendations
If you go to the scenario database (G4) and click on MBT scenarios it will take you to all the scenarios listed for the game. Click on the columns to sort, for example by rating (0 bad, 10 great). One thing is to take the rating with a grain of salt since according to it there are not many good scenarios. Also take a look at the win/loss/draw column to see how evenly spread out that is.

Stay away from the arctic war ones, they are very lopsided and I think were built for play against the AI.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
04-19-2009, 03:28 AM,
Thanks for the answer. I've been through the statistics but I would still be interested to hear more personal "reviews" or experiences.

As a sidenote - I started your 'Brothers at Arnsberger Wald'-scenario against Mikekiller16.. will be interesting to see how it turns out :)
04-19-2009, 04:56 AM,
From my red army tournament I found the following: players who anticipated correctly did well, those who just blindly went forward suffered. Crossroads at Lubbecke seemed to be very well received, while Fintel Ridge requires the Soviet player to really think before charging forward.

All in all I think most players shy away from scenarios because they are so hard to balance. Even a scenario with the exact same forces on each side may seem unbalanced if an elite player were playing a rookie (as you know).
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
04-22-2009, 03:41 PM,
2ndLt_Fjun Wrote:I'd like to get some recommendations for good PBEM scenarios in SPMBT (and in fact SPWW2 too).

I have made a large number of scenarios for both games.
While they can be played as PBEM they were designed to be played vs the AI.

They are however not "balanced", at all.

There are two main reasons for this;
1) historical setups are never balanced, and very seldom meeting-engagements (Where was the play-balance at Thermopylae, Poltava or Bzura? ;) ).

2) and more importantly - a "balanced scenario" played vs the AI tends to be a walk-over for a resonably seasoned human player, thus in many scenarios, though not all, the Player 2 side has a bit of an advantage that tend to become a BIG advantage when used by a human player.