• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

On Foot
04-18-2009, 09:04 AM,
RE: On Foot
steel god Wrote:
James Ward Wrote:Ah ha. Now I know why I didn't do much to those T mode Germans, hiding behind those steel plates!

Half Track mounted infantry is GREAT for fighting a delaying action against infantry with low or no Hard Attack values. The enemy bumps into your units, draws fire, if you spaced it out right will get minimal return fire on you, and then on your turn you switch to T mode and back off a few more hexes to repeat it again next turn. It's a beautiful thing.

Ask Foul. ;)

Yep! Until some enemy tanks come along and ruin their day. :)
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2009, 09:29 AM,
Volcano Man Wrote:
steel god Wrote:
James Ward Wrote:Ah ha. Now I know why I didn't do much to those T mode Germans, hiding behind those steel plates!

Half Track mounted infantry is GREAT for fighting a delaying action against infantry with low or no Hard Attack values. The enemy bumps into your units, draws fire, if you spaced it out right will get minimal return fire on you, and then on your turn you switch to T mode and back off a few more hexes to repeat it again next turn. It's a beautiful thing.

Ask Foul. ;)

LOL, it was Sicily. He had precious few tanks and I tried to keep them under artillery fire on the rare occasions they got near any open terrain. ;)
04-18-2009, 01:56 PM,
I am confused, help :conf:.

Motorized Inf in T mode = hard target. yes?
Motorized Inf in Non T mode = soft or hard target?
Motorized Inf on Foot in T mode = soft target yes?
Motorized Inf on Foot in Non T mode = soft target. Yes?

Marquo :conf:
04-18-2009, 02:36 PM,
Marquo Wrote:Motorized Inf in T mode = hard target. yes?
No. Halftrack infantry in T mode = hard target.

You can tell when you look at the alternate info panel. It'll say "hard target".
Marquo Wrote:Motorized Inf in Non T mode = soft or hard target?
Motorized Inf on Foot in T mode = soft target yes?
Motorized Inf on Foot in Non T mode = soft target. Yes?
Yes. All else is correct.

Interesting tactical suggestion... :chin:
04-18-2009, 07:25 PM,
steel god Wrote:
Volcano Man Wrote:
steel god Wrote:

Ask Foul. ;)

LOL, it was Sicily. He had precious few tanks and I tried to keep them under artillery fire on the rare occasions they got near any open terrain. ;)
Yup, Paul did a masterly staged retreat and to be honest i should have had my Shermans on the coast road the whole time, but then hindsight is a wonderful thing! :hissy:

It is a great tactic and one that is not known by every player, it really pays to know every type of unit you have in your force mix. ;)
04-18-2009, 10:07 PM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:Right - What ON FOOT does is allow you to move the units which are Motorized into hexes such as Swamp or over rivers, ferried by Eng, where the vehicles wouldn't or couldn't go.

It was spec'ed as needed early in the Series when German players in Smolensk couldn't chase Russian Partisans into swamp. It made me pul my hair out when infilling Rough Terrain in ME67, I locked a number of Motorized units into hexes which were not rough when we laid out the Scn originally.

It was added for Bulge (PzC #5) because there is a case at start where the Germans actually ferried PzGs over the Our River to form a bridgehead behind which the Engs could build the Bridge. However in Bulge V1.0 this was an editor feature only - units could start the game ON FOOT and get their transport back when teh HQ crossed the river, but by Bulge V1.01 if I recall correctly, John made this feature active in the main game.

Also - FWIW, I don't see any value in putting Horse Units ON FOOT (at least I hadn't thought of any) as generally Horse Units can enter the same kind of hexes that Foot Units can but which Motorized can't enter, .... although I suppose there might be a case for "Going On Foot" to be ferried over a River - I just can't think of a case where I've seen this come up in the game. But this goes to show how a rule is or in this case was designed and how Horse units were not really considered - but in this case it worked out OK anyway.

Glenn
One more example is the escarpment hexsides in T41. ;)
04-19-2009, 02:47 AM,
"Half Track mounted infantry is GREAT for fighting a delaying action against infantry with low or no Hard Attack values. The enemy bumps into your units, draws fire, if you spaced it out right will get minimal return fire on you, and then on your turn you switch to T mode and back off a few more hexes to repeat it again next turn. It's a beautiful thing. "

I do not understand this. If halftrack infantry in T mode = hard target, then what is it if not in T mode? The above seems to indicate that the units were not in T mode and then switched to T mode to retreat..what effect does this have on the unit as a hard or soft target?

Marquo
04-19-2009, 03:00 AM,
Marquo Wrote:The above seems to indicate that the units were not in T mode and then switched to T mode to retreat..what effect does this have on the unit as a hard or soft target?

Marquo, if the units is dismounted, it's a soft target. The halftracks are behind the infantry, likely providing some support, but the infantry is exposed and can also fire as a normal infantry in deployed mode.

When the infantry goes into "T" mode, the troops are getting into their halftracks, and they are now getting the protection from the HTs' armor. If the pursuing infantry has little or no hard attack ability, then the HT infantry is relatively immune to their fire, even though it's in "T" mode.

So:
Outside the halftracks (deployed) = soft target
Inside the halftracks ("T" mode) = hard target
04-19-2009, 03:50 AM,
Calling in an air strike or two on HT infantry in travel mode is good to remove a pesky tactic like steel god used on foul. Rocket firing Typhoons should ruin the Pzgr's day.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
04-19-2009, 06:37 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:Calling in an air strike or two on HT infantry in travel mode is good to remove a pesky tactic like steel god used on foul. Rocket firing Typhoons should ruin the Pzgr's day.

Dog Soldier

Except as I understand it the PZG are deployed when it's the opponent's offensive turn, and are only in T mode when they move and back out as they redeploy. So, an attacker never gets to offensive fire on the T mode units. Correct?