• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

On Foot
04-19-2009, 10:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2009, 10:19 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
RE: On Foot
Marquo Wrote:I do not understand this. If halftrack infantry in T mode = hard target, then what is it if not in T mode?

Couple points
1) If HARD halftrack infantry in T mode = hard target,
but if there is soft HTs which do not provide HARD Target status. These are the "Prime Mover" type tracks - not sure what the designation is. However you need to view the unit by right clicking on the unit window to confrm the HARD TARGET status in T Mode.

2) Units that are HT\Mot\Horse that are not in T Mode are deemed to be in DEPLOYED status. Even FOOT units can be in T mod which is basically lined up in column from crossing bridges or using road movement. Any Units in DEPLOYED mode essentually ignore Roads and Bridges

3) "ON FOOT" can be DEPLOYED or in T MODE. In Deployed mode, they can simply go places like into SWAMPS or ROUGH which the unit couldn't normally go with their Transport. In T mod they are treated like "Foot" Units - that is in column for Road movement, ferrying, crossing bridges. Their HT\Trucks\Horses are considered to NOT be with the unit.

I hope this clears up any questions re ON FOOT and ON FOOT vs being "Deployed".

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2009, 01:49 PM,
Dirk Gross Wrote:
Dog Soldier Wrote:Calling in an air strike or two on HT infantry in travel mode is good to remove a pesky tactic like steel god used on foul. Rocket firing Typhoons should ruin the Pzgr's day.

Dog Soldier

Except as I understand it the PZG are deployed when it's the opponent's offensive turn, and are only in T mode when they move and back out as they redeploy. So, an attacker never gets to offensive fire on the T mode units. Correct?

Correct
04-19-2009, 04:39 PM,
Thank you for the info on this topic, I Have found a few things out I did not know about halftrack infantry.
04-19-2009, 11:24 PM,
I understand the difference between T, deployed etc. What I am not quite grasping is the following:

"Half Track mounted infantry is GREAT for fighting a delaying action against infantry with low or no Hard Attack values. The enemy bumps into your units, draws fire, if you spaced it out right will get minimal return fire on you, and then on your turn you switch to T mode and back off a few more hexes to repeat it again next turn. It's a beautiful thing."

What mode are these units in when ther are being bumped into? The post more implies that the delaying units are deployed and therefore are soft rather than hard targets. This means that they are vulnerable to SA fire. Is the advantage that when they change to T mode to retreat they are virtually invulnerable to the adjacent units? If so, why not simply leave them in T mode - they will be less vlunerable to everything, unless a Tank regiment is waiting in the wings....

Marquo :chin:
04-19-2009, 11:52 PM,
This produces some weirdness though. In the MC series some infantry units have very large hard attack values and a 2 hex range due to them being equipped with Infantry Fighting vehicles equipped with (auto)cannons and guided missiles. yet when they go "On Foot" they retain these ratings. I suppose one could rationalize it away by saying that the vehicles are still in attendance somewhere, but what if your unit was just ferried across a major river?
Send this user an email
04-20-2009, 01:07 AM,
Marquo Wrote:I understand the difference between T, deployed etc. What I am not quite grasping is the following:

"Half Track mounted infantry is GREAT for fighting a delaying action against infantry with low or no Hard Attack values. The enemy bumps into your units, draws fire, if you spaced it out right will get minimal return fire on you, and then on your turn you switch to T mode and back off a few more hexes to repeat it again next turn. It's a beautiful thing."

What mode are these units in when ther are being bumped into? The post more implies that the delaying units are deployed and therefore are soft rather than hard targets. This means that they are vulnerable to SA fire. Is the advantage that when they change to T mode to retreat they are virtually invulnerable to the adjacent units? If so, why not simply leave them in T mode - they will be less vlunerable to everything, unless a Tank regiment is waiting in the wings....

When they are bumped into and I'm fighting a delaying action they are in deployed status unless I've screwed up, or events have conspired against me. How someone else may choose to operate is a matter of personal choice, but if I bump into a T mode HT mounted infantry unit, it's first visitors will be every air strike and artillery unit within range, that's why I deploy them, so I can control how and when their HTs are used so to speak.
04-20-2009, 01:10 AM,
JDR Dragoon Wrote:This produces some weirdness though. In the MC series some infantry units have very large hard attack values and a 2 hex range due to them being equipped with Infantry Fighting vehicles equipped with (auto)cannons and guided missiles. yet when they go "On Foot" they retain these ratings. I suppose one could rationalize it away by saying that the vehicles are still in attendance somewhere, but what if your unit was just ferried across a major river?

Rune, yes the conversation and tactic doesn't translate to MC games very easily, in part because of the weirdness you allude to, and also in part to the fact that the tactic is predicated on your enemies forces not having a lot of HA rated infantry assets. Something that is not the case in MC games. Very rare is the MC unit without a HA value.
04-20-2009, 02:02 AM,
Marquo Wrote:I understand the difference between T, deployed etc. What I am not quite grasping is the following:

Just to add to Paul's comments this only works when you are delaying an advance, if the Halftrack unit has to hold the hex then of course it would be deployed and just as vulnerable to soft fire as any other soft unit and as he also said to leave the unit in T mode to avoid this would risk a airstrike/arty attack or an assault when you would defend at only 1/4 value (due to T mode).

This is a one off feature for a special circumstances, hence it is not that well known about. ;)
04-20-2009, 09:32 AM,
steel god Wrote:
JDR Dragoon Wrote:This produces some weirdness though. (SNIP)

Rune, yes the conversation and tactic doesn't translate to MC games very easily, in part because of the weirdness you allude to, and also in part to the fact that the tactic is predicated on your enemies forces not having a lot of HA rated infantry assets. Something that is not the case in MC games. Very rare is the MC unit without a HA value.

When you think about it really - ON FOOT is mainly for SWAMPS and ROUGH and in the European MCs at least there isn't a lot of these. Yes, they can go ON FOOT for ferrying over a river, but there is enough Amphibious units and such that I don't think you will see much ON FOOT stuff in MC - at least I haven't seen it much during the testing - but in theory, yes, I can see where you might have an issue.

Glenn
Send this user an email