• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Extreme assault?
04-03-2009, 05:47 AM,
RE: Extreme assault?
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:
Big Dawg Wrote:This gives new life to some of the "one sided" scenarios.

Just an observation......

Unfortunately it has taken just as much life away from balanced scenarios and made them one sided.

I'm playing one of those unbalanced ones that I suspect would be pretty even with the new rules and a lot more interesting. The problem is knowing which scenarios would benefit and which ones wouldn't. I think it has to be left up to scenario designers to recommend in their scenario descriptions. Hopefully some will revisit their older creations. Maybe even submit them for beta testing with the new rules. For now it's certainly a dilemma. I like the new rules, but I'd rather know beforehand, as much as possible, that I'm playing a balanced scenario against an evenly skilled opponent, regardless of the optional rules.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2009, 06:19 AM,
IMO with the new rules too often the assault is without effect whatsoever on either side, even if a lot of forces are involved. This is very unrealistic as assaults in reality are casualty intensive, regardless who 'wins'
I think both sides should have a much greater chance of losing sp when an assault is conducted.
The new assault rules certainly need some work and cannot be left unadressed in 1.05 at least that is how I feel about it right now.

Huib
04-03-2009, 07:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2009, 07:14 AM by Stryker.)
I totally agree with young Alfons. My opinion is that assault was broken in the Talonsoft version, but is still broken and pretty useless to be honest.
I like the fact that it has changed the game and that it can no longer be relied on as a sure-fire tactic (disrupt/surround/assault). But I am still seeing totally ridiculous results and it doesn't seem to make much difference whether extreme assault is on or not - there just doesn't seem any point assaulting any more, except out of desperation.... and sometimes - just sometimes, you get a surprise result and then it all seems worthwhile :)

I hope the matrix guys can fix it in the future.. AI behavior must be difficult in these situations as you still need some element of randomness while maintaining an acceptable percentage of probability. difficult!
04-03-2009, 07:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2009, 07:22 AM by Jason Petho.)
Rudolph Hucker Wrote:....But I am still seeing totally ridiculous results...

Feel free to email me game files where you are receiving ridiculous results, as they help decide on which course to take in the future.

So far, I have received two files since 1.04 came out.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
04-03-2009, 10:33 AM,
LOL!
Sending files is the only determinant of your making a change? Eek:chin:

Ridiculous! Extreme assault is not the CS fix that you thought. :eek1:WhipSomething "in between" is what is requested by those who play the game. It would not be hard to make an in between option? Call it "regular assault" or "realistic assault"? Call it what you want to? Extreme Assault is far from real. It is more a joke and coupled with what you did to transports makes it more so. :mad:
But, it a revised or optional medium assault needs to be done. Extreme Assault is as stupid to some as the version 1.02, disrupt/surround/assault, was to you (or, whomever wanted it in your beta club/team).
Sending you files is like sending UFO reports to Project Blue Book. We all know it is not swamp gas or venus, O.K.? :rolleyes:

RR
04-03-2009, 10:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM by Steelrain60.)
MrRoadrunner Wrote:LOL!
Sending files is the only determinant of your making a change? Eek:chin:

Ridiculous! Extreme assault is not the CS fix that you thought. :eek1:WhipSomething "in between" is what is requested by those who play the game. It would not be hard to make an in between option? Call it "regular assault" or "realistic assault"? Call it what you want to? Extreme Assault is far from real. It is more a joke and coupled with what you did to transports makes it more so. :mad:
But, it a revised or optional medium assault needs to be done. Extreme Assault is as stupid to some as the version 1.02, disrupt/surround/assault, was to you (or, whomever wanted it in your beta club/team).
Sending you files is like sending UFO reports to Project Blue Book. We all know it is not swamp gas or venus, O.K.? :rolleyes:

RR

I've changed my mind on this issue and I'm no longer a fan of the extreme assault, as my experience with it has lead me to believe that slows games down too much. But come on, man. The overall tone of your post, especially the last sentence, is unjustified. Why the antagonism?
04-03-2009, 11:30 AM,
MrRoadrunner Wrote:Sending files is the only determinant of your making a change?

Yes.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
04-03-2009, 11:38 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:
Big Dawg Wrote:This gives new life to some of the "one sided" scenarios.

Just an observation......

Unfortunately it has taken just as much life away from balanced scenarios and made them one sided.

Thanx!

Hawk

Hawk,

My point was to use the extreme assault rules in scenarios that HEAVILY favored the attackers (4-1, 5-1, 6-1 odds) in an effort to make that particular scenario more of a contest than a 1 sided turkey shoot.

I think we all understand that the extreme assault rules will give a great advantage to the defender in traditionally balanced scenarios.

My point was directed at the unbalanced ones only.

THANKS!
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM,
Oh my GOD, here we go again.Who started this thread he should be court marshaled. I know that the xtreme assult isn't perfect but it is a far cry better than the old automatic surround, disrupt, capture. As someone earlier said I think that when you have one group rushing to assult another a lot more losses should be taken on both sides. If the losses were greater for the attacker win or lose it wouldn't be such a big offensive stratagy. I have a hard time seeing how the game takes longer, its still only X number of turns. I believe the exteme assult is closer to reality than the old assult rules were. Just my opinion on the subject.

Chuck
04-03-2009, 02:11 PM,
I have to agree with RR. Something in the middle of 1.02 and extreme would really be nice. The main problem now is its very tough win assaults. What i am finding in my games is opponents are now just littering the battlefield with men knowing that i cant possible clear them all out. trying to cut a path is very tough even if in open terrain. i now just surround and shoot most of the time.
Also i have notice sometimes i cant even kill transports with shots. Trucks should be dead meat almost everytime, but i am not finding that. This just adds to the littering affect. When i roll up on a 2sp disrupted mg units with some armor, i should roll over those boys and keep going, As it stands now that darn mg unit can hold up a convoy for turns. I agree some flavor is good but something is not quite right here. :soap: