• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Extreme assault?
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2009, 01:31 AM by Jason Petho.)
RE: Extreme assault?
Dan Caviness Wrote:Jason:

So you played it as Axis, or second side, against the AI which played first side if I understand?
That is how the scenario was designed to be played, "Best Played as Axis". It doesn't matter which sides starts first, it is up to the designer which side that is. The Axis playing second allows them to have the final move, which is probably the scenario designers intent.
Dan Caviness Wrote:If so...your margin of victory is at least in part due to playing the AI.
As it was intended to be played.
Dan Caviness Wrote:Consider giving a human a try.
Which is not how it is intended to be played.
Dan Caviness Wrote:No matter what a scenario recommends...if you ask the computer to handle first side and force your computer to prosecute an offensive....you get game scores like the one you show.
It is designed that way, the designer did a good job, generally speaking.
Dan Caviness Wrote:No matter.
Not the point.
No, it's not.
Dan Caviness Wrote:Apparently we are all the way back to square one 17 pages ago and trying to see if the new rules make assaulting harder. They do for normal humans who don't know your secrets.
You requested I try an impossible scenario, so I did.
Dan Caviness Wrote:Jason...explain that magic mix Chuck10mtn is asking about?
If you have a way to make this work, it is not obvious to me or a lot of others.

There's no magic mix. It is as straight forward as:

1. Try to reduce their supplies.
2. Soft up the target.
3. Try to cause disruptions.
4. Try to reduce their morale.
5. Knowing what causes morale checks helps.
6. Take into account the defensive terrain the defenders are in and knowing how that terrain affects morale.
7. Try as much as possible to cause morale checks - during the same turn!
8. Ensure adequate force is at hand to assault.
9. Prepare to assault more than once.

Engineers & leaders are useful in the assault!

Dan Caviness Wrote:Are you saying you have not ever gotten hung up trying to assault a hex over multiple turns? Share the magic please...

Of course I have been hung up on assaults and with practice have learned to do what I can to improve the odds. Now it's not a walk over as it would be without.

Dan Caviness Wrote:You DID make the new assault rules to make it more difficult...right?

Did I? No.

The 1.04 Assault rules are harder, significantly harder that the 1.02 assault rules, as intended.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM,
RE: Extreme assault?
Figured I'd try the Tractor Factories; EA on, armor facing off (better for AI) and Variable Visibility off (don't like it). Pretty much the same as Jason; Major Player win. A real player would definitely make things harder but then I also know of a Major Axis win with EA in h2h play of Crucible on the Flank which I think is just as bad as this. Not taking sides in any of this but I will say I hated EA when I first played it, now I'd never play without it or some future unannounced form of it. Just my .02

[Image: TractorFactories.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply