• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Main Event IV: M1A1 vs. Schwerpunkt
04-12-2009, 10:16 AM,
RE: Main Event IV
M1A1's KV-Flame presents a tempting side shot for Mr. X's infantry, but at the last moment, the KV and some Russian infantry locate the German squad. Taking some serious heat from all angles, Mr. X's sneak attack fails this time, and the squad is decimated by machinegun fire.
The T-34s also fire at will on targets as they presnt themselves. The German squads try to hang on, but there is just too much combined firepower from the Russian infantry and armor. Mr. X is withdrawing his troops as well, seeing that this is not a good situation. I think he wants to lure the Russian tanks into sight of his AT gun an/or PZ IVs.
[Image: ME32-47.png]
The German forces are being run over, flames, HE, and machineguns blast away and the ROUTE is on now. There are dead German squads spread out near the woods as they were caught in the crossfire. Those squads that are not eliminated are ROUTED and PANICED. The flame thrower is spouting death all over the woods and moves towards Mr. X's heavy weapons section containing the 50mm mortars and a couple HMGs. It will not take long before they to are going to be in the sights of the flame tank.

[Image: ME33-51.png]
As the Russian force moves through, there is little to do but mop up what Germans remain. Mr. X is trying to put together some sort of resistance to slow the Russian tanks down. Will have to wait and see if it can be done.

[Image: ME34-54.png]
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2009, 07:04 PM,
Gladdens the heart to see a flamethrower tank in full cry like that, its going to be a great next couple of turns.
04-13-2009, 05:52 AM,
Imagine beig on the end of that. BBQ anyone ?? Big Grin
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
04-14-2009, 08:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2009, 08:38 AM by Ratzki.)
M1A1 starts to exploit the lack of German resistance near flag A. The KV-Flame tank fires at any target in it's path as the Russians move forward to take more and more ground. Mr. X is in full retreat here, and trying to get his units out of the path of the Russian s but with both armor and infantry, is not having much success. More and more German squads meet their maker in what is little more then butchery by M1's forces.
Mr. X has finally found it neccessary to move his hidden Pz IVs. He moves them behind a small hill and they turn into contact markers again. If M1 has not seen this, he may be in for a suprise when they come back into view again.

Mr. X - "Well, things are starting to deteriorate. I have to move soon and knock out those tanks. Those flamethrowers on my right really did me in. My entire right wing is crushed. A few infantry units hold the large right center flag, but they cannot hold up against flamethrowers and infantry from the woodline.
In the center and left, I feel more comfortable, but I have to get that large flag on the road and make a go at the right... I am afraid that he is racking up points with casualties and now a captured HMG crewmen. The bright side is that he still has to come out into the open to capture any more flags. "

M1A1 - "Hard fight, And I play tense ..."
[Image: ME35-55.png]

Mr. X has crept slowly forward with a lone Pz IV and makes contact with M1A1's Crack Sherman. The Sherman was enganged so is buttoned up, this is good news for the German tank crew. The first shot misses the Russian tank, and soon the Sherman picks up the Pz and fire back, with a miss. The Pz replies and the shot goes wide. The Sherman does not get in a second shot as the Pz IV reverses out of LOS. Mr. X has missed an opportunity for a nice KO, now M1 will be on alert for more of the same.
[Image: ME36-55.png]

With the lone Pz IV in reverse, I am suprised at the next few seconds of play. I have to stop the action and look around for what just happened, as I am sure M1A1 did as well. The Sherman has been hit from out of nowhere and lost a crewman and now has a damaged gun. I play the turn a little more and hear a shot from somewhere on the battlefield, it misses whatever it is aiming at, and the Sherman tank is in reverse trying to get away from the hidden danger.

[Image: ME37-57.png]
Just over 300m away, the attacker makes his presence known, Mr. X's two Pz IVs pop up from behind the rise. They target the wounded Sherman and two more quick shots finish the job.
M1A1 - "OUCH, I'm roasted ..."
Mr. X - "Time to take some drastic measures... I have to kill those two tanks in the center, so I can meet the far right hand force. "
Now you tell me,... I must have missed this message somewhere, it seems the Germans are finished playing with the Russian armor and have decided to take matter into their own hands.

[Image: ME38-57.png]

I can barely keep up to the goings on as M1A1 puts on a bit of a clinic on how to move through the enemy, and exploit the advantage that he has earned here. Quickly Russian forces are moving, mopping up Germans as they go.

[Image: ME39-57.png]

A new overhead shot shows the Russians making significant gains one the one side while still being handled roughly on the other.

[Image: ME40-60.png]
04-17-2009, 01:53 AM,
I can't even say that there is a right flank for Mr. X anymore. M1A1 is content to linger and mop up the ROUTED germans in the area. The Russians are moving as little as ppossible trying to conserve strength, but at the cost of time. That may be more of an enemy right now then any German units. This has been a time consuming fight here and gained only a small flag.

[Image: ME41.png]

On the other side of the map, things seem to be heating up for a winner takes all tank battle. Mr. X is moving now to locate and KO the last Russian tank in this area. There are three German Pz's moving abreast towards the KV. It should only be a turn before the giants meet.
M1A1 - "Getting nervous, I must engage your tanks And I am scared..."

[Image: ME42.png]

The worst has happened for M1, the German armor comes into view, and shots are fired from both sides. M1A1's KV gets four chances to score a hit on a stationary Pz IV but fails to do so. Eventually a second Pz IV comes into LOS of the KV and within seconds it is all over for the KV.
A lone 45mm AT Gun is firing at th Pz IV as well, it scores several hits but does no damage. It would seem that Mr. X will have free run on this side of the map from now on.

[Image: ME43.png]
04-17-2009, 03:42 AM,
With 19 turns of 35+ available I think Mr. X will now hunt down M1A1s remaining armor on the Mr X right flank and snipe them. That should open the way for a late game mop up and seizure of objectives by Mr. X. Don't think the Mr. X crumbled right flank is critical but he cannot afford to lose armor - thus far he has handled his armor well with the exception of the Marder. M1A1 cannot just sit over there and win the game, he will have to move on and expose his armor as he does not have enough infantry to do anything.
04-17-2009, 05:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2009, 05:00 AM by Ratzki.)
I think the advantage has slipped back to Mr. X, after the loss of the Sherman and KV. I know M1A1 still has a KV left, but as stated earlier, it has only a 45mm gun on it, so really the Russians are down to two T-34s. M1 still has a platoon of infantry that has not been overly active for the battle but will it be enough?...
I think that Mr. X would like to have that Marder now, more then ever, it was just placed poorly at the start, then found itself hemmed in by terrain and Russian tanks. You have to give those non-turreted vehicles an easy out or they pay the price like any old AT gun.
04-17-2009, 05:08 AM,
This is an interesting battle. As long as Mr. X continues to use his armor well enough, he should win the battle. He still has a lot of infantry depth. If he can keep one or two Pz IV's alive to chuck HE after killing the T-34's, it is unlikely M1A1 will have enough to resist.
04-17-2009, 09:12 AM,
Mr. X comments - "Gentlemen of the jury! I surely hope that you did not lay all your fortunes again me! I am not claiming victory, but this will not be a one way battle! OK, my problems are considerable - my right is caved in and I have suffered enough casualties to bring me dangerously low morale. In fact I have almost no infantry left that is available to take flags on my right flank. He is poised with infantry and tanks to take that flag. That will give him two large and two small - which his a victory for him. My support weapons in the center are low on ammunition and suffering casualties. My advantages though are also worthy of winning this game IMO. I am not certain, but I think there is another KO'ed Ivan tank. I am not certain on a KO from the battle film, but I had at least two penetrations on his center tank and heard the motor stop on the second hit, but my opponents reaction to the turn was somewhat of a confirmation! I certainly have enough infantry to take and hold the left and left center flag, especially with my tanks free to move soon. If I can fight off his tanks with my Crack Panzer and AT gun, then I can use the Vet and Reg PzKwIV to move about, confront his infantry and support an advance. I think at this point that he spent too much on armor and does not have a hoard of infantry hidden like I do. I will be hard pressed, but I still think that if I end his armor threat, he is mine!

Your Hero, Mister X"
04-17-2009, 12:14 PM,
IMO, Mr X is playing not to lose rather than to win. Allowing the Russians to massacre his whole flank while hiding his tanks is evidence of it. I am guessing that he will hold on to what he has and not launch any kind of attack. Very safe playing.
Lord Bane