• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Main Event IV: M1A1 vs. Schwerpunkt
03-26-2009, 05:53 AM,
RE: Main Event IV
Yes, as expected M1A1 went tank heavy and he apparently intends to charge onto the left flank and turn in towards the center. If Mr. X sets his ATG up fortuitously and uses his armor to keyhole snipe he will take out M1A1s tank force and his infantry battalion should not be too troubled with the Russian infantry.

If Mr X loses his armor and guns early on in a trading fight then M1A1 could pull it off especially if his flame tanks make it through.

At this stage I still see M1A1 being impetuous and careless with his armor.
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2009, 06:18 AM,
Ratzki Wrote:1x T-35 M43 tank
There are no T-35 tanks in CMBB. I assume this is another T-34?
03-26-2009, 08:49 AM,
LOL...you infantry lovers and your delusions of grandeur. The reason that M1A1 went tank heavy is because a tank force, properly handled, can pummel any infantry force. Obviously if you have a huge forest or thick fog, it is a different matter. I think the problem that many have is that they do not know how to best utilize their armor so they buy a lot of infantry.
There is an old saying in the Army about Tanks. It is long so I will paraphrase it. "One tank can do as much battlefield damage in 10 minutes as an infantry Company can do all day." Thats the facts.
Lord Bane
03-26-2009, 11:05 AM,
Nope, the "armor lovers" will be trashed this time Big Grin. The tank can do as much damage as it wants but it takes one well aimed shot to take it out, while the inf coy can take a lot of punishment and still hold out.
Plus without inf the tank is handicaped and MrX has a nice 3 to 1.6 advantage here, not counting HMG where its even bigger, so he'll be able to separate the Russian inf from their tanks. And the armor advantage for M1A1 is not that big - those KV-8s are packing 45mm door knockers so its 6 to 4 for the Russians in big guns.
I agree with herroberst, either MrX pick off the tanks one by one or his infantry will end up on the M1A1 BBQ. In any case will be very entertaining battle cheers.

Still standing for minor vic for MrX.
03-26-2009, 10:45 PM,
I think the key phrase is "tank force, properly handled." In my games with M1A1 he has been repeatedly careless with his large tank force and my combination of ATGs in a pakfront and armor has prevailed. I think combined arms is the best approach and practitioners of this always have a force that has some armor, mortars, snipers, ATGs, some carriers and infantry. The terrain gives infinite possibilities so you do sometimes see the armor-heavy crowd prevail or the infantry-heavy crowd prevail, especially since we all tend to make some costly mistakes now and then based on a misinterpretation of risk. The opening moves of this contest will tell us more.
03-26-2009, 10:59 PM,
Also to take points from a tank is alot easier than from infantry.

I would rather go tank heavy as the German player, due to the fact that German infantry on the whole has better AT weaponry and access to shrecks.
03-27-2009, 03:01 AM,
But you have to watch as early in the war, the Russian squad carries a bit more firepower then does a similar German squad. I can deal with tanks in close cover with infantry, and all guns 75mm and under are not that tough to take care of, as they do not do alot of damage with their main guns. It will be the HMGs that might tell the tale if
Mr. X can get them into effective positions. I will get the first couple turns out tonight. Early contact and some early shootin'.
And yes, it should have been T-34:P
03-27-2009, 05:04 AM,
Lord Bane Wrote:LOL...you infantry lovers and your delusions of grandeur. The reason that M1A1 went tank heavy is because a tank force, properly handled, can pummel any infantry force. Obviously if you have a huge forest or thick fog, it is a different matter. I think the problem that many have is that they do not know how to best utilize their armor so they buy a lot of infantry.
There is an old saying in the Army about Tanks. It is long so I will paraphrase it. "One tank can do as much battlefield damage in 10 minutes as an infantry Company can do all day." Thats the facts.
Lord Bane

True, but there's also another old Army saying that goes along the lines of, "tanks can take ground, but it needs infantry to keep hold of it". M1A1 can take the flags, but it will onto require a couple of squads in hiding and what he thinks is his will be contested.

Those tanks will provide a lot of HE, but he only needs to lose a couple and it will start looking pretty shaky for M1A1. Personally I think he's too infantry light for this terrain and I'm afraid I'm now going to have to change my bet and back Mr X for a tac vic. (Hopefully M1A1 will prove me wrong though and I'll kick myself for swapping). :)
03-27-2009, 10:19 AM,
Mr. X has quite the intricate setup. One group to the right side and the 2nd group just left of centre. The first group is about a company strong while the second is 2 x companies and all the Pz IV's. His plan is to sit tight with his armour and see where M1A1 is. He must have his scouts out as before he bought his forces Mr. X said that he predicted M1A1 to buy lots of T-34's and KV's. In each group is a FO, the 81mm to the right, the 105mm to the left.
[Image: ME2.png]
03-28-2009, 04:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2009, 05:50 AM by Ratzki.)
M1A1 sends along a little clarification, it looks like Mr. X will be fighting Native Americans and not the Russians as stated above.
[Image: FUNNYFORTHEMAINEVENTOPENING.jpg]
Mr. X starts off the game moving cautiously forward towards the central flags. He has split his forces into two groups, the first(group Charlie) is on the right hidden by clumps of scattered trees and tall pines. It contains 1 company of infantry and an 81mm FO, it is overwatched by the Marder off in the distance.
The second(group Zulu) is two infantry companies strong and has a 105mm FO for support. Mr. X's three Pz IV's are nestled in behind with covered arcs to take out anything that moves towards the hill or even the extreme left flank.
Both groups move forward with all his armor remaining in place as overwatch. At the end of the turn, a lone Russian squad pops into view for a couple seconds then changes to a contact red star. The covered arcs on the infantry stop any firing for the moment.
[Image: ME3.png]

On M1A1's side, he has given orders for a full out rush towards the flags. Across the battlefield, all moving infantry seem to be at a full run through the trees. His setup does not seem to have common objectives and it is tough right now to see who is going for what. He seems to be making moves to take as many of the flags as possible, quickly. I am sure he will form some combat groups with support after he settles in to the game, but it is not very apparent at this time.
He has kept his armor moving slowly forward but still well back of his infantry.
[Image: ME4.png]

On M1's right side, he starts to see what he is up against as it forms up to look like several companies comming straight at his men. Thus far he has still not seen any of Mr. X's armor, just infantry and more infantry. Just a reminder, that each side has been given one CRACK tank, a Pz IV and a Sherman, and the setting was kept at medium, so there was no option to cherry pick units. There is some sporatic rifle fire from the Russian troops but not enough to amount to anything. The German guns remain silent.
[Image: ME5.png]
Moving along, Mr. X starts to feel some heat as the Russian fire gets a little more serious now. The Germans have a couple squads go PANIC, but most get into position and settle down. There has been no sighting of any armor near flags C and D even though the bulk of both sides armor is here. German MG's open up on some Russian squads, forcing them to hit the dirt and slows their movement.
German squads near the crest of the hill near flag C but can't quite see over it now. They will have to advance 20-30m in order to see over the top. If Mr. X chooses to do this, he should see M1's armor in this area.
[Image: ME6.png]
At flag A, Mr. X is caught with his pants down somewhat as Russian squads open fire and catch the Germans crossing a small opening through the trees. Two German squads are ROUTED and the rest of the platoon have to hold up safe in the trees. The German side responds with some 50mm Mortar shells into the trees with the Russian squads, it has little effect but does seem to make them go heads down every now and then. The good news is that some of M1's tanks pop into view, two T-34s and a KV of some type. The Marder needs the Russian armor to move about 20m more then it will be able to get off some nice flank shots. What Mr. X is unaware of is his Marder has been spotted by some Russian infantry in the woods.

M1A1 - "Your infantry is taking casualties I guessI putt them under heavy fireYour right flank is exposedYour left seems pretty full with infI have ammo for all of them, don't worryJust call the grave committee, pls Mr. X, ok ? I don't want to make a mess out of u :-))"

Mr. X - "M1A1 talks too much. I have just issued a Kommisar Befehl! Turn 2. That avenue of approach I thought he might take advantage of...he did. He is moving his tanks (I see 3 T-34's and 2 KV1's...) with infantry in the woodlines. He jumped one of my squads and sent another running. I am a little concerned. If I am unable to put a dent in that armor force, then I will have to suffer a pounding and then attack with forces from my right. I do have some mortar fire on the way to make that Ivan infantry think twice about advancing.I have a little something for him though - if he has not spotted it with his probing infantry. On the left, some infantry moving toward the two large center flags. He has the far left flag with a half squad. Shots from a pistol should rattle that little SOB. I have moved to the center flag and am consolidating my position. I will continue to push forward looking for better terrain to fire from. On my right, there are plenty of infantry. I am going to assume he has another T-34 platoon out there perhaps two. I will keep my armor silent for now. Otherwise, watch the HMG's!"

M1A1 - " My Ruskies want to taste German blood BUT first they want the meat to be roasted"

[Image: ME7.png]
Mr. X has sent along a photo of himself, but he is wearing a hat to conceal his adentity...
[Image: mrx.jpg]