• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Main Event IV: M1A1 vs. Schwerpunkt
03-22-2009, 09:27 PM,
RE: Main Event IV
The boot prints left on my backside by both players are nearly identical, but I will take Jaws in a Tactical Victory.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2009, 04:37 AM,
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!!

A freak injury to jawscocan has left him with a real serious hang nail on his mouse finger. He has been rushed to the nearest medical centre for an emergency nail clipping. He does not think that the injury is career ending but will not be able to partake in the fight.

No worries though as his sparring partner, "MR. X" has stepped in for jawsconan. M1A1 and "Mr. X" are picking forces as we speak. "Mr. X" will reveal himself at the end of the match but he is well know and feared in his homeland deep in the jungles of the Congo.
03-24-2009, 04:59 AM,
Ratzki Wrote:"Mr. X" will reveal himself at the end of the match but he is well know and feared in his homeland deep in the jungles of the Congo.

Aw shucks, why do we have to wait until the end before knowing Mr X’s identity? Things would be more 'tense' if the spectators had an idea of the calibre of the combatants.
03-24-2009, 05:02 AM,
Kelen, don't freak out :-)
it will be a good fight :-) i went undercover and sniped jawsconan finger :-)) LMAO
03-24-2009, 05:43 AM,
Ok the combatants are set, and the game is afoot, Both players have been notified to stay out of this thread. I will be posting the map and the specifices as I get them.
03-24-2009, 06:31 AM,
M1A1 Wrote:Kelen, don't freak out :-)
it will be a good fight :-) i went undercover and sniped jawsconan finger :-)) LMAO

Freaking out? I'm not freaking out, you freaking out? Aaargh the anticipation!!! :hissy:
03-24-2009, 08:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-24-2009, 09:29 AM by Ratzki.)
Below is a copy of the map that we are playing on. It is 880m x 880m. This is the view frome the German side. There are 3 large flags and 3 smaller flags up for graps(reresented by the two sizes of orange circles). The game is a 2000 point ME, 1942, Oct. North. There is a strong cold wind blowing across the battlefield, but the conditions are dry. Ther Redwolf armour rules are in effect for this time period, that limits the German purchase somewhat, but the time of the big guns looms not far off and there should be more then enough to keep us entertained. The force mix is unrestricted, Infantry.
[Image: ME1.png]
Mr X has sent me his first message:
I chose the following: 2 PzKw IVG plus the bonus(I gave each player one Crack tank unit)
1 Marder II
1 Rifle Btn '42a1
105mm spotter
2 PAK
1 LMG Very basic kit.
I was limited in choices for armor and the tanks that I know can fight a KV1 or T-34 were ruled out. I did have some options though so I went with the Pz IVG's. I also got a Marder II. I was nervous about it since the damned things are so fragile, but it sports that 76.2mm gun and will give me that mobile gun platform I could use. The 105 spotter was expensive, but it has the ability to interdict movement, destroy platoons, light vehicles and a better chance of immobilizing AFVs. I have been using it more since my return and have been happy with the results - ask Herr Oberst, Enven, Wombat and Ratzki! The infantry battalion is an infantry battalion, but I love the infantry! 10 man squads with rifles and some LMG's. They also have the organic mortar spotter and 50mm mortars as well as a good number of HMG. I considered getting individual Companies, but chose the Btn, getting the Officers to attach to my heavy weapons. No sharpshooters! We were limited in quality for purchases so I did not want to waste the money on Reg. snipers...
SETUP The map is tight. Fairly flat, with sections of chopped up terrain (sections of trees, scattered trees and pines), making movement there more difficult. There are large sections of open terrain and a slight rise (hill in the middle). The map is small enough so I can look right into large areas of the Marxist swines' setup area. I basically decided to write off the small flag on my far left. Assigned each of the three line companies a large flag. My far right has the mission of taking the large flag by the stone wall, but also setting up a blocking position in the wooded areas to prevent being flanked. M1A1 has a pretty decent avenue of approach along the wooded areas that conveniently point right into my setup zone. With the 35 minutes of battle here, I will attempt to move on that far right flag if firepower/time permits. I found that I can tuck the PzKw IV's into a nice little pocket in my rear left. It gives me a fairly decent LOS into the large open area to my right front. The Marder is set to prevent a flank by armor on the far right as well. I should have enough points with the three big flags, one small one and many burning Russian tanks and prisoners. I know I am the underdog here, and M1A1 has already proclaimed my doom...BUT, I intend to shove a German jackboot right down his throat for you guys. Get your wagers in!
03-24-2009, 10:47 PM,
From my games with M1A1 he likes to go armor-heavy (both in terms of quantity and quality) so I think Mr X might be a little light on anti-armor. On the other hand M1A1 still is very careless with his armor. In two games with him currently my pakfronts of 50mm Crack ATG and 45mm Crack ATG have destroyed 80% of his armor while I retain most of my armor for the end game.
I would expect M1A1 to buy T-34s and KVs and come charging into the open en mass. If Mr X can thwart that without losing his armor then he will win as he should have way more infantry than M1A1 whom I expect to spend most of his points on armor.
I think not buying Crack snipers is a mistake for Mr X. I would have gone with MkIII 50mm L60s instead of MkIVs but that is a matter of choice... my 50mm ATGs slice right through M1A1s T-34s in our games. I expect Mr X to win a tactical victory.
03-26-2009, 05:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2009, 05:09 AM by Ratzki.)
M1A1 has sent me a pic and a little blurb on his plans:
As you see in my plan, I wanted to pin down his forces at the central flags and make a flanking manoveur with my left wing.
In order so I selected long range infantry to pin the enemy and fast tanks to make the mopping.
Those KV-8 were to light MR.X's butt and to putt thick armor agianst those P4s.
Spotter for pinning the infantry (i was sure he will come to those central flags which are a trap in my opinion)
Maxims MGs also for the cover operation..adn the rest i shown u on the map why and the plan
The sherman is out of the picture yet but WTF..a good firepower is always wanted
[Image: PLAN.png]
03-26-2009, 05:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2009, 05:36 AM by Ratzki.)
M1A1's force is as follows:
1x DPMG
2x Maxim MG
1x 45mm ATG
1x 122mm FO
1x Rifle Co (42B)
2x Recon Plt
1x T-34 M43 Plt(3 tanks)
1x KV-8 Flame Plt(2 tanks)
1x T-35 M43 tank
1x KV-1 M41 tank
1x M4A2 tank(crack)

Both players had to deal with the game settings being on Medium Quality, and the eneded up with mostly Reg quality troops with some Green and some Vet's.
So the prediction came true, M1A1 did choose a tank heavy force, good call. That's knowing your enemy. Mr. X has only 4 tanks, do you think it will hinder his chances of winning? ...or do you think the German side still has the advantage? I am going to go out on a limb and say that the German side has bought more for the map being used then did M1A1. The Germans are infantry heavy, there are 3 large flags and 3 small ones, that could stretch the German Battalion to it's max., I do not feel that the Russian side can effectively hold more then 2-3 flags total, and that is if everything goes well.