• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Snow or Colour Blind
03-19-2009, 09:26 AM,
Snow or Colour Blind
OK I ain't gett'in any younger but for the first time I'm having problem's playing Moscow'41 Operation Typhoon.
When I select a HQ and click on the highlight unit organization button I'm having problems picking out the units in 2D mode in the snow white terrain. Thankfully I'm having no problem when I use 3D.
Cannot make out the red outline in 2D with the snow, I remember reading a post about a mod for people with sight problems.
Any help and suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2009, 02:22 PM,
RE: Snow or Colour Blind
yeah, I modded it myself by making the outline twice as thick. If you open up your Moscow41 Folder, and move into the German folder (for example) you will see a file named 2DSymbolsLg.bmp. There will be three squares a flag and a symbol. The first square is your counter. THe second is your counter with normal highlight on. The third square is your counter with alt highlight on (white).

I always use the white highlight, so what I did was I doubled the thickness of the white line that goes around the counter using a purchased graphics editing program. I assume that MSPaint will allow you to change it. Save a copy of your file, then experiment! Note you can also change the colour of the counter as well. In Normandy I made the US airbourne a lime green so I could spot those suckers on the line.
03-19-2009, 02:24 PM,
Hmm...it just got me thinking...I suppose that since I dont use the red highlight, I could make it so that the counters disappear for that formation so I could see the terrain underneath, without removing every counter from the map....
03-19-2009, 07:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2009, 07:12 PM by Lowlander.)
On reflection I think the problem is caused by a map mod I downloaded from the campaigns-france site.
It's the 2D entrenchment symbol, and as the counters are unfortunately dark red colour, clicking on the highlight unit Org with the red outline is causing these colours to blend together, so maybe changing the Russian 2D unit counters from red to brown will solve this.
03-19-2009, 11:57 PM,
How much do you really need the ground to look white? Just copy the normal terrain bitmap over the snow bitmap and you'll be good to go. It says snow conditions on the lower left afterall! :-)

Fury
03-20-2009, 02:29 AM,
Another issue with the unit counter border highlighting system is the terrain elevation. When there is a lot of elevation changes in the space of just a few hexes, like a steep valley, the counters on the bottom of the stack just will not show their edges.

In this case a trip to right click the unit information bar is the only solution I have found. Using the J hot key with the unit organization switch turned on at least allows me to find any units which have strayed to far from the parent organization.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
03-20-2009, 05:19 AM,
There is noth'in wrong with the games graphics, when I'm playing pbem we are under pressure !!! and therefore time is of the essence. But went back to study a small scenario and the problem occurs only with units on 20% entrenchments, this I am sure now is due to the fact that the mod I'm using has green entrenchment symbols.
So will either ditch this and replace it with the original art or switch to the summer bitmap, and will utilize the "J" hotkey as well.
Thanks to everybody for your assistance in this matter.
And maybe I should have went to spec-savers.