• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Supply Units Losing Vehicles
03-07-2009, 10:03 AM,
RE: Supply Units Losing Vehicles
Liquid_Sky Wrote:Seemed to me that the 8th army took quite a long time to make it across the desert after El Alamien, to Tunis. Did that have something to do with the logistics?

Some of the blame has to go on Monty's caution. At least at this point of career it was certainly understandable, as he had built 8th Army up from a force with morale issues to one with confidence in itself, and jeopardizing that may not have been the best for the British people or it's Army at that time. I don't recall if 8th Army had supply issues in the pursuit, and they may well have as I'm sure the AK was tearing up the rail line as it retired. My guy instincts tell me they should have had less issue with it as they always debarked more than they required, and had a more plentiful amount of convoy assets to move the materiel with. But trucking over any distance is just so inefficient in a combat situation it's possible.
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2009, 10:06 AM,
Krak Wrote:I am not going to escalate it any further SG, I had no intention to insult you. Sorry you feel that way.

Good gaming to you as well.

Fair enough Michael, we'll consider it case closed then.

Paul
03-07-2009, 10:19 AM,
Liquid_Sky Wrote:Seemed to me that the 8th army took quite a long time to make it across the desert after El Alamien, to Tunis. Did that have something to do with the logistics?

It had everything to do with logistics. Twice before (after "Compass" in spring 1941 and in january/february 1942 after Crusader) the axis had managed to reinforce succesfully (due to heir shorter LOC) and driven back the allied forces with losses. Ensuring that they would not do so for the 3rd time was merely sound thinking. As it was, all axis forces in Africa ended up Hors de Combat anyway.
Send this user an email
03-07-2009, 12:01 PM,
Getting back to the rule in question, the previous discussion by the logistics experts is most informative. :bow: The rule as implemented, whether intentional or not, is simulating the notion that it takes supplies to move supplies. The other implementation option, requiring a code modification, is to make supply units a special case where the breakdown rule is not in effect, and assume that the "it takes supplies to move supplies" is already accounted for. I do not think there is a point in implementing the latter as long as the scenario designers take into account the loss of vehicles, and the players are aware of it.

Given the rules, it behooves the commander to ensure that the number of hexes the supply unit can move in one turn is maximized. Stick to primary roads if possible, and don't move into road hexes where the road stacking limit is reached.
03-08-2009, 01:37 AM,
Patric, I apologize if I hijacked your thread.

Beyond that, I agree with everything you said in your last post.